It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Prolonged absence seizures/floppiness?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-26-2004, 05:21 AM   #1
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User
    Prolonged absence seizures/floppiness?

I encountered a question on an autism forum and was intrigued by it, yet have not found any explanation for this phenomenon:

This is a boy with autism, who since about age 8 has had episodes that are sudden in onset and resemble an epileptic fit of some sort, but is prolonged (at least several days).

He occasionally will go lethargic, totally floppy, become unable even to swallow (resulting in bile being vomitted up).... sometimes for a few days but up to several weeks.

It sounds like some kind of stroke but once he recovers he is his old self... I could well imagine that severe seizures of the absence type, if they occur frequently, would give such a picture...

Is there any sub-type of epilepsy that can cause such a thing?

Inhibited Perfectionist

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2004, 08:14 AM   #2
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User
    Re: Prolonged absence seizures/floppiness?

I am not really sure what you mean by a sub type of epilepsy.

There are over 20 kinds of seizures and they can manifest themselves in over 100 different ways.

Sudden loss of muscle tone, inability to swallow, vomiting etc can all be part of simple partial or complex partial seizures. Has he been seen by a doctor when this is going on?

Old 08-27-2004, 04:27 AM   #3
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

With subtype I mean type of seizure.

"Has he been seen by a doctor when this is going on?"

Yes but aparently they seem to believe it's psychological. The total loss of muscle strength, the vomiting, inability to swallow etc. just does not seem likely if it was psychological... the mother guessed catatonia but that's the opposite, i.e. rigidity rather than floppiness.

It lasts days though so I'd guess it would have to be intense compounded seizure activity (perhaps caused by a food allergy or something?) rather than "a" seizure that causes an episode like that.

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 08-27-2004, 06:23 AM   #4
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User

There are status seizures that can run a long time and are a medical emergency. Unfortunately, even though seizures are common in 25% of those with autism, doctors often ignore the symptoms. It is so much easier to say it is psych related or autism related.

Narcolepsy is also something for the mom to look into with sudden loss of muscle, but I do not know if that ever had the vomiting. Seizures sure can do all of that. Catalepsy can have the sudden loss of muscle tone before rigidity also, I think...

She may need to find another neuro for another opinion. I know of a mom who has 2 children with Autism. One of them was finally diagnosed with complex partials seizures using the BEAM or QEEG. It was a long time fighting to get answers with the first doctors saying it was not seizures.

I hope this mom can find help. I agree with you that it did not sound at all psych related...

Old 08-31-2004, 02:58 AM   #5
    Redhead23
    Senior Veteran

Redhead23 HB User

Thanks, status seizures sound very much like this!

Inhibited Perfectionist

Old 09-02-2004, 08:47 PM   #6
    olan

olan HB User
    Lightbulb Re: Prolonged absence seizures/floppiness?

Hello,

When a siezure occurs it can last for seconds to hours or more and any thing over 20 minutes is considered life threatening because it take so much oxygen to substain any seizures over 5 to 20 minutes.

The loss of body tone is a symtom of atonic seizures but rarely last more than a few seconds and are therefore called drop attacks. There are so many things out there to cause these symptoms and some of them are extremely dangerous.

My suggestion is to go to a internal medical doctor first and if he finds nothing wrong to go to a neuro. or pyschiatrist to get help; let the professionals diagnose and then educate yourself to insure they are correct in their diagnoses.

Closed Thread