It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Loss of appetite on Lamictal

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #1
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User
    Question Loss of appetite on Lamictal

Has anyone here been on Lamictal and experienced a loss of appetite? I'm slowly increasing my dosage and I've definitely noticed a loss of appetite. I'm also a recovered anorexic and losing weight just isn't an option. What have you done to inrease your appetite or get in enough calories? Thanks,

Lizzy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2005, 07:21 PM   #2
    jerrytom
    (male)

jerrytom HB User
    Re: Loss of appetite on Lamictal

Hi Lizzy, I lost weight after starting lamictal but I also started zonegran at the same time. If you feel you can't loose weight, talk to your neuro about it. I went from 168 to 138. I'm a 47 year old man who's 5'7". My epileptologist told me that lamictal was used for hard to control seizures and really only prolonged the time between them. Good luck with your weight and your seizures. Jeff

Old 06-20-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User

I have a friend taking it...she found that it changed how some food tasted but that went away as she got used to the med. Coffee and chocolate, favorite foods of hers, as well as cheese and cream tasted AWFUL...

Hope you find things improve in time!

Old 06-22-2005, 10:32 AM   #4
    lizzy76
    Veteran
    (female)

lizzy76 HB User

Thanks for your replied. I'm going to be seeing my neuro in a couple of weeks so I'll talk to him about switching meds. I've already tried a few and so far I haven't had any seizures on this one.

That's interesting that your friend noticed food tasted different. I didn't know that was something that could happen on this med. I love graham crackers but they've been tasting like (I know this is weird) salsa lately. Not that I don't like salsa, but I don't like eating a cracker and having it taste like that! Looking back now it probably started around the time when I started Lamictal. And my friends thought I was crazy with the whole graham cracker thing!!!

Liz

Last edited by lizzy76; 06-22-2005 at 10:32 AM.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User

If you have ok control with the med, you might want to try a little longer with it. My friend found the taste issue did get better in time. It would come again with an increase but then settled down.

You are not crazy at all, these meds do the craziest things!

Old 06-27-2005, 09:01 PM   #6
    AngelNikki
    (female)

AngelNikki HB User

I take Lamictal.. and I seriously hate everything my mom makes, from chicken to steak, pork chops, i cringe just thinking about it, sometimes I have to force myself to eat, but I am not anorexic or anything.. I guess medication does that to you .... the most thing is that I don't have a problem with is cereal and coffee

I only had 2 grandmal seizures and It's been a year since my second seizure well almost, any ways. i seriously hate taking medication, I'm hoping that soon I can get off it but I don't think that will happen any time soon

Old 06-28-2005, 06:49 AM   #7
    bettyst
    Veteran
    (female)

bettyst HB User

We never noticed Tripp's taste were different but he lost weight on that one and caused headaches for sure!!

Closed Thread