It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• 10 year old son may have night terrors not seizures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-12-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
    raulsmom
    (female)

raulsmom HB User
    10 year old son may have night terrors not seizures

Hi, i just got a call from my sons Dr. today telling me that he does not believe that my son is having seizures but thinks that it may be a bad night terror. I dont know what to make of this. My son stars off my breathing fast and then he stops and sounds like all the air is being released from his body then he will completely stop breathing and his body gets stiff and sometimes his arms are up over his head, my husband will put him on the floor and lift his neck to open his air passage and then my son will start breathing again and then we turn him over so that he wont choke (these are instructions from the 911 dispatcher) his eyed are rolled up towards the right side, and he does not respond to us at all. Until he is getting out of whatever this is. He has had all the exams I could think of and everything has come back negative. His neurolagist put him on medecation for seizures last year and then took him off because they dont believe they are seizures, Does anyone have any similar situation? Please help. I just dont know what to do what to expect.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2005, 11:52 PM   #2
    buliem

buliem HB User
    Re: 10 year old son may have night terrors not seizures

Hi again. I think you should do a web search and just type in "tonic seizure." It is rare to have them without the clonic but it does happen. We aren't allowed to post websites here so the suggestion of a search is the best I can do. Of course your neuro could be right on. You just want to make certain.

Old 08-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
    luvmypinkpdle
    (female)

luvmypinkpdle HB User

Hi, did he continue to have these episodes while he was on the medication?

Old 08-13-2005, 09:59 AM   #4
    raulsmom
    (female)

raulsmom HB User

Thank you all so much for your time and info. While my son was on the meds he did not have the seizures/night terrors although he did talk in his sleep a couple of times...the Dr. said that it would be really hard to determine if the meds are helping being that when he does have these attacks they are far between. This last one was the closest between that he has ever had. Before June he had gone 17 months without one and then in June he had one and then now in Aug. Until this last one the Dr. thought that maybe he was growing out of them. I have an appt again on Thursday with his Dr. to set up some other tests....I am thinking of EKG, blod test to check his blood sugar...other than that I dont know what else to do.

Closed Thread