It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• anyone get extra time, etc for test in school

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-09-2005, 05:43 PM   #1
    debvid
    (female)

debvid HB User
    anyone get extra time, etc for test in school

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if someone with epilepsy can receive extra time allotted for tests. I know some disabilities qualify for extra time, the test read out loud, etc.

Bonnie's grades are good, so it may be difficult to get help, but a lot of times she doesn't finish tests. I hate to say this but, she said the other day she copied someones work when the bell rang so that she would finish, she just didn't have enough time. I don't want her to start that. She knows the info but doesn't have time to finish.

Now some test are made by the school board, so all schools will be the same, she has to read it several times to get it. if there is any distraction she "yells" at the other kids to be quiet.

She took the PSAT, even though she is a sophomore, and did not finish a lot of it. This year it was just for practice, next year it will count. I am worried about ACT test, and when she gets in college and doesn't have the not***** checks etc to help her grade.

She doesn't want me to say anything. But, like I told her, she is at a disadvantage and she can get more time she should take it. I remember her 4th grade teacher mentioning this. At the end of the year there were 2 standardized test. She said she wasn't worried about Bonnie on one of them because she could take all day. She was worried about her on the other one because it was timed.

Thanks for any help
    Debbie

Last edited by debvid; 11-10-2005 at 02:48 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-09-2005, 08:20 PM   #2
    EthanF
    Inactive
    (male)

EthanF HB User
    Re: anyone get extra time, etc for test in school

You might want to know that epilepsy and LDs tend to interact with each other. LDs give you extra time with things like school tests. You might want to go through testing for them.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
    Jennifer smith6
    (female)

Jennifer smith6 HB User

Does your daughter have petitemal or grandmal? the reason I'm asking is because my son has petite mal and is currently having anyware from 10-22 a
    day. He has a Iep program set up by his school, but we really have no idea what his ld is or if he really even has one. he is seizing so much that they dont know what to think. The school labeled him as adhd, just so he would quilify for the iep. This entitles him to extra time on test and even getting his regular work done. I dont want him labeled with sominthing he really is'nt but at the same time I want him to do well in school and not always be worried about the work load or testing. I would definatly contact your school district or even your school pyscatrist to see what can be done. Good luck !!!

Old 11-09-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
    debvid
    (female)

debvid HB User

She has focal partial seizures, simple complex. She has only had grand mals when she was taken off of trileptal quickly. She use to have 10 or more a day until the last 6 months. I don't think she has had any. Hers come from the frontal lobe, which effects the executive functions. She takes add med to counteract the side effects of the epi meds. She does have trouble focusing sometimes.

One thing I was worried about is the labeling, if it could harm her later. I know ld go hand and hand with it sometimes. I have researched a little since I wrote this and I think maybe they would have to give you an iep with epilepsy and ADD. It's just she has very good grades, she has been a straight A student until 8th gade, which is when seizures started acting up again. I am thinking about the future, so it is already documented. As it is getting harder for her, her comprehension is not what it use to be. Her main thing right now would be needing extra time with test.

Thanks so much for your replys. I guess I will contact the school.

Old 11-10-2005, 07:56 AM   #5
    Jennifer smith6
    (female)

Jennifer smith6 HB User

Let me know what the school says, if you dont mind. Also My son take trileptol and he is still actively seizing. Is this the first med your daughter tried? I just wonder If Braden would benefit from anouther med. He had a eeg on tuesday so hopefully we will learn more and have a better plan of action. I dont know how much more any of us can take, We just want some ancwers.

Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
    Travis from MN
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

The only wasy she can legally be permitted (force the HS instructers) to grant her extra time is if she is on IEP. I was on for 3 years I think. Withut the IRP you don't have any extra demand powers.

Old 11-10-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
    debvid
    (female)

debvid HB User

Jennifer
    Bonnie has been on several meds. She first started on carbatrol when she was 7 years old. It worked fine until she was 12 years old and mother nature came to visit. It has been pretty much down hill since then, until now. She has been on carbatrol, keppra, dilantin, trileptal and lamictal ( with different combinations). I do not like her on the trileptal, we are very slowly getting her off. The seizures stopped after the last increase in lamictal. This is the first time in the last 3 years that she hasn't had many seizures a day. Her neuro has said that when 3 or more meds don't control the seizures then there is 70% chance they will not go away. I hope Bonnie is in the 30% that stop!

I have read that you need an IEP. I am waiting for her neuro to call me to ask her opinion. My concern is if the IEP may backfire in some way later. She may not accept getting extra time even if it alotted to her. She doesn't want people to know. I just really feel that as things get harder she is going to need the extra time. If it was that she didn't know the info I wouldn't even think about this, but she knows it she just needs more time.

I will keep you informed on what the school says. Thanks so much for your help

Debbie

Last edited by debvid; 11-11-2005 at 10:17 AM.

Old 11-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #8
    tkdmom96
    Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi Debbie,

I missed your post...I have been thinking of Bonnie lately and wondering how school and other "stuff" has been going.

I will tell you what we did with Katie. They wanted to do an IEP, but we held off on it. Never did it. They wanted to look into 504 status, which is a "halfway" point between IEP (where you can get individualized attention) and no help. We never did that either.

Katie does suffer with comprehension issues. It became MORE apparent as we entered high school. The level of subject difficulty has been quite a problem for her. She just dropped Calculus on Monday. She gave it a real try, but it was bogging her down (she has Physics and AP US History too) and she was a chapter behind. She just wasn't grasping the concepts. It was a blow to her emotionally. She had never had to do that. BUT, either it was continue to watch her sink, tank her GPA or drop the class. The school we are at has been FANTASTIC! They really stood by her (and us) and helped us come to the best conclusion for Katie. She was retaking tests and quizzes, doing extra credit, staying after school for one-one help and it just wasn't working. She has enough math credits anyway, so why stress over it. I know core classes look the best, but GPA matters too. Not worth getting a D- and ruining the other hard work she's doing.

Sorry, got off the subject there.

The only comment I have is see if you can work with the school first. ONCE BONNIE IS LABELED, THAT IS PRETTY MUCH IT. It is VERY difficult to try to remove things from a student's file. I worked for a school district for 10 years. That is why we have worked so hard NOT to have Katie IEP'd or such.

Yes, we are worried about Katie and the ACT's too. She did fine on the PSAT but we are worried about the actual ACT's. We're worried about time, comprehnsion AND the writing portion. And, she really wants to go to nursing school...so we NEED to figure out how to make this all work. She will take the ACT's in February 2006 and June 2006. If she needs another go at it we have August or October of 2006 yet.

Andrew received the MVP for the JV football team. He was voted for by his peers. A real honor. ((Tears))

Also had some scares during the season. The "we thought the shin was broken time", "the sack and fall back and hit head with concussion time", and the "we thought he had broken ribs time" (went for xrays, hit in the last 10 seconds of the game, running the ball to the endzone on a QB sneak). UHG!!! He was laying on the field, took a few minutes. We had a doc there for every home game. Got him up, and he went in to kneel the ball and end the game. We get home and he says his side hurts bad, after his shower. Then he asks me if "this looks right" as he points to his sternum area, which was bulging out and swollen!!! Right near the heart area. Ended up that the hit he had landed him on his side so hard, it pushed his flap jacket into his ribs and pushed cartilage out from the ribs. Good grief! Thank goodness we only had one game left in the saeson and we had almost a week break for him to heal a little.

Thought you would appreciate that since your son also played **. Now we're on to basketball.

All my best to you...say hi to Bonnie! How did her cheering season go?

Vicki

Old 11-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #9
    debvid
    (female)

debvid HB User

Hi Vicky,

Good to hear from you. The reasons you give are why I have not wanted to do anything before, like IEP. Will her school records ( IEP, special help, etc) follow her past high school? I know how some teachers can be and that's why I'm really debating this. I don't want her to start cheating though, because she runs out of time. She has never done that and definitely doesn't need to. I don't think she would have done it if she didn't know the info, I guess she figured it was ok because she knew the answers, just didn't have time. Also, what really got me to thinking about this is the ACT test. When I looked on the PSAT web site it mentioned giving extra time, etc for disabilities. But, it said you could only get it if you had already been receiving it on all tests. So, if at that time she needs it and we haven't done anything earlier we are out of luck. If her condition gets worse she will definitely need the extra time. If they had to take her out of the class to take the test or something that was obvious to the other kids, she probably wouldn't do it. So, maybe there is no point worrying about it.

I'm sure that was hard for Katie to drop the class, but that is better than bringing GPA down. You are so lucky to have the school be so helpful. I've told Bonnie we may have to check into taking some classes during the summer, she won't be able to take all the maths she needs if she doesn't. I'm so glad Katie is doing so well.

MVP!! WOW!! That is a big honor, lots of kleenix! They can be so tough, they don't realize they're hurt till the game is over! BJ was lucky as for as injuries go. He didn't have too many. Once in high school he had a sprained ankle and was so happy he got to be sent to physical therapy like some of the other guys had done! Good luck with basketball.

Cheerleading has gone pretty good so far. The football team made state playoffs so they have a game Friday! They should win this one and go to the next bracket. Not so sure about that one, hopefully they will do good! Then cheering for basketball. She is also on a competition team and their first competition is first week in Dec.

Thanks for all your help. Hugs to Katie!
    Debbie

Old 11-10-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
    Travis from MN
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Thats sort of the advantage of the IEP. IF the student needs (or think of it this way, MAY NEED) the extra time you have it when needed; if you complete it within the alloted class time and don't need extra time; then use it for a study hall or other purposes.

In the IEP; the parents need to spell out EXACTLY what their child needs from the district; otherwise the district will not go beyond what is in the contract. If you need a note-taker, tape deck to record the class, extra period to work on assigments, or what have you. It needs to be clearly laid out in the paperwork with the district.

When I had it written in mine that I could use a computer for assignments; we thought great. However the school, county, state, or federal did NOT pick up that part of the tab. WE had to buy the portable. The reasoning for that was my handwriting was tested and found to be at elementry level (poor hand-eye quard and shakey). Second grade level if I recall.

I did have an extra period to work on class work if needed for the day that I recieved credit for written out in my IEP that I rarely needed for makeup tests or to use extra time on tests. I traditionally used it as a study hall or wasted class period to do whatever.

So I was tagged a level 3 (2 periods of special Ed per day) student.

Did it follow me? I didn't have problems when I went to community college; but I can't say. Is it in your highschool student record? YES. But the main thing colleges look at is a students overall GPA; PSATs, SAT, and ACT scores. Commmunity involvement and volunteer work shows character and that the potential student is involved; but has less to do then the other test scores and grades.

--Travis

Old 11-11-2005, 10:38 AM   #11
    debvid
    (female)

debvid HB User

Travis and Vicky

Thanks so much for the info. Bonnie's neuro just called and I asked her about getting the IEP. She said yes definately she would. Her reason was the same as we expected, for the future, ACT, PSAT, etc. It has to be documented now. She is going to fill out a paper for us to bring to school.

How do I know exactly what to request? Maybe she would need something besides extra time on test, like quiet when she is reading the info with the knew test they have to take. There may be something I'm not even thinking about and so I don't know to request it. Can they be updated more than annually? I know another thing she has always mentioned to me is; it is hard for her to listen to the teacher and take notes at the same time. There may be a problem she is having that she has not mentioned to me.

I think next week I will go to the school. Hopefully Bonnie will not fight me on this. It does have to be her decision. Her doc said to just make sure she understands how important this is for her education.

I'll let ya'll know what the school says.

Thanks again.
    Debbie

Old 11-11-2005, 12:55 PM   #12
    tkdmom96
    Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi Debbie,

The school district should offer you exactly what they will allow for Bonnie, if the IEP goes as planned. If you have specific concerns, write them down so you can cover it in the review process.

Many people will be involved in this. Comments will come in from various teachers. If you look back to 5th, 6th, 8th grade and noticed things back then, see if those teachers will be involved also. The more documentation the better.

As far as college goes, you need to find out from someone (guidance counselor, if properly trained in their job) how it will help/hinder her. Start doing some research on it at the college level. There are particular colleges that do a better job with 504 and IEP (including LD/ED/Dyslexic) students.

Good luck and make the BEST INFORMED decision you can...if Bonnie bucks it, and you feel it's the right thing to do, you need to find someone who can talk to her PROPERLY about it. You have to have her on board right off the bat. It will be too hard to get her back to the half way point, if that makes sense.

Peace,
    Vicki

Old 11-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #13
    debvid
    (female)

debvid HB User

Hey Vicky

I will go in with notes for this meeting! I know in 4th grade her teacher commenting on worrying about her on timed test. I guess all the problems we had in 7th and 8th grade will be documentation! Remember the teacher stalking and harassing her!

I'm not too crazy about her quidance counselor, but hopefully she will be a help. I asked her neuro if it could hurt her. She said that legally the educational system could not. I have started researching this and will continue. I know when I took my son to a doc for dyslexia he knew which colleges worked with the students the best.

I talked to Bonnie a minute ago and she doesn't want to. She doesn't want to be taken out of classes like the "special ed" kids. I told her they might not do it that way, we could just go find out what could be done. I told her to just think about it. I'm hoping she will come around. I explained to her that I wish I had done it for her brother, ADD and slight dyslexic. I don't want to say later I wish I had for her. She loves her neuro, I will bring her to talk to her if necessary.

I'm so glad you are helping Tracy, I remember what a God send you were to me. Thanks for your help.

Debbie

Last edited by debvid; 11-11-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Old 11-11-2005, 09:53 PM   #14
    tkdmom96
    Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Hi Debbie,

You are on the ball girl...I know you'll do what is totally best for Bonnie.

PSPSPSPSPSPS>>> Because of confidentiality, NO ONE should really know what is going on with Bonnie...if the teachers are doing THEIR job properly!!!

Bonnie should be able to start a test and finish it after school, in study hall, etc. I don't know for sure what your district will do, but CONFIDENTIALITY is key for Bonnie. STRESS it! And let them know YOU KNOW your legal rights to that.

How is BJ doing these days? I don't think I knew he was slight Dyslexic. There are better colleges out there for kids like BJ, Bonnie and Katie. We are in the thick of college searches now and looking at a private Lutheran college where Katie will get indivualized attention. Very small class sizes. She'll have loans to pay, but it will be worth it.

Katie graduates in May 2007!

YIKES!

Andrew in May 2008!

Then it's me and the hubby! DOUBLE YIKES! I'll have to get a job or a dog!

Thank you for the kind comment and you have been a great support to me as well...I appreciate it alot...One God brought us here to support one another.

Peace,
    Vicki

Old 11-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #15
    tkdmom96
    Senior Veteran

tkdmom96 HB User

Extra prayers for the journey

Vicki

Closed Thread