It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Major side affects!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-10-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
    armychick389
    (female)

armychick389 HB User
    Major side affects!!!

I was recently diagnosed with generalized epilepsy and was put on Lamictal..they are building me up to 200mg and am on 50mg right now. I am getting almost all of the side affects now...majorly nauseated, headaches and FATIGUE...I will sleep for 12 hours straight and still be tired! aggghh! So what should I do...I have been taking it for 4 days and want to go off it...I was taking lamictal previously for bipolar at 25mg and that was still very bad!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
    bettyst
    Veteran
    (female)

bettyst HB User
    Re: Major side affects!!!

OH MY! That is just what happen to my son,Tripp. He would not get a headache everyday but almost, as well as I remember...plus did not control his seizures. It would get worst with each rise in dosage...call your neuro and request a change. Tripp could not take it at any dosage.
    HUGS
    Betty

Old 02-10-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User

I know the side effects really stink, but they can ease in time if you can stick it out! It often takes at least 4-6 weeks to see them settle down (if they are going to)....Hang in there. Be sure to talk things over with your neuro. Lamictal is hard since it takes so long to get to therapuetic level.

Old 02-12-2006, 07:13 PM   #4
    jerrytom
    (male)

jerrytom HB User

I started taking lamictal about 2 years ago. My neuro told me it was used for "difficult to control seizures". After taking it for a month or so, I got such a bad headache, I was diagnossed with spinal meningitis. It goes away. I was just raised from 500 to 600mg 2 weeks ago without a problem. Is lamictal the only AED your taking?I thought lamictal was an add on. I'm taking dilantin, lamictal, keppra and zonegran. I get tired but I think it's from the keppra more than anything else. My neuro said if things ever get too bad to call so that's what I would do. Good luck and I hope things work out. Jeff

Old 02-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
    neurowreck
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neurowreck HB User

Most AEDs are tough to get used to at first- let your doc know, so maybe you can have the doses increased slowly- and ask what you can do to help with the side effects...any Tylenol, or something like that - but ask what the neuro would suggest, since AEDs are finicky meds, and don't like a lot of other meds Hang in there- the side effects will either start to get better, or you'll know you can't take them. But let your doc know.

Old 02-18-2006, 07:36 AM   #6
    Travis from MN
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

I'd have to say call Your Neuro as well. They had me up to 800/day when they did blood work and questioned me if I was taking my meds! Blood levels were very low for Lamictal. I didn't have sideFX with it amazingly at that high dose. I was on 2 other meds at the same time.

Watch for "rash like symptoms" thats one of the first warnings. (if that shows up call the Dr ASAP).

--Travis

Old 02-19-2006, 08:46 PM   #7
    ImTheLucky1
    (female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User

I just started taking Lamictal. I've been on for exactly one week. I haven't had any more seizures (I was put on after having 3 in about 11 days) but I'm still having symptoms- "strobe" effect in my vision, eye pressure, light headed, nervousness. I don't have any idea how long that will last but I don't have ANY side effects from the drug itself. I'm on 25mg right now, working up to 100 over the next 5 wks. then will increase dosage from there. Point being that maybe it's just not the drug for you.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:40 AM   #8
    Moonrunner72
    (male)

Moonrunner72 HB User

I've been on 800mg lamictal, 1000 keppra and 300 dilantin for quite a while. There have been times when this level has created a bit of a drunken feeling beginning 1.5 hours after taking half of the above total. The "drunkeness" lasts for a few hours and after eating a good lunch, it generally subsides. I had a GM in my sleep on Dec 21 and my clinic tried to increase my lamictal to 900 mg. It made the dizziness worse so (and I feel guilty about this) I cut back by 50 mg for a week & then another 50 in a week. At least I've been able to go places without hugging the wall. Sometimes I believe our body goes through changes which require adjustment of the meds or suffer the consequences. There doesn't seem to be a trigger but I'm cutting back on gluten foods. I hope that helps.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:47 AM   #9
    ImTheLucky1
    (female)

ImTheLucky1 HB User

Ew, dilantin.

Side effects for dilantin are pretty bad. They gave it to me in the ER when I had my last seizure. Went to the neuro the next day prepared to throw a fit till they put me on something else. I didn't have to throw a fit. As soon as I told him what they gave me he said "Ew, dilantin. Bad stuff, we need to get you off of that now."

My mom used to be on it- for several years. Now she doesn't have any teeth. She probably would've ended up with out them anyway but maybe at 70 instead of 40.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #10
    way p g
    (female)

way p g HB User

Hi my name is Pam

I am 33 and had my first 4 grand mal seizures on Jan 24, 2006. I have never had any other seizures in my life. I was started on dilantin at that time but just have not been the same since. I have a lot of side effects including twiching eyes, trouble sleeping, my hair seems to be falling out, extremely dry skin, and I have recently developed a bad itchy rash over my body. It started out I think when my face would flush and remain so for about an hour and then fade. It almost looked like a sunburn. My hands, feet, and knees are swollen and painfull. Even the palms and soles itch. The rash gets wose at night and is slightly bumpy to the touch. I have one or two little water blisters between my fingers as well. Has anyone else had these effects?? Any info would be a great help!!! Thanks,
    Pamela

Old 03-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User

Pamela have you called your neuro about this? Rashes with AED can be a serious side affect and need immediate attention.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
    way p g
    (female)

way p g HB User

Thanks for the reply!! I saw a doctor of internal medicine yesterday and he has taken me off the dilantin and placed me on carbamazephine instead. Maybe this will all settle down in a day or so but I will keep a close watch on it. I dont really know what to do to relieve the itching and swelling. I am having a hard time closing my hands and the icthing is driving me crazy. My family doctor put me on prednisone Sunday thinking that might help but I am getting no relief. I just hope this new drug will do the trick!!! Thank you
    Pam

Old 03-08-2006, 02:31 AM   #13
    Travis from MN
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

Carbamazepine (Tegretol) has the generic form; or if it's Tegretol, it also has an extended release form depending what was issued to you (just so you are aware). I know that information may be a lot to take in.

The generic Teg tabs TEND to be round (always uncoated) flat white pills, score mark in the middle (bitter if they start to disolve in your mouth).
    Brand Name Teg is Pink oval shaped with a score mark in the middle (makes them easy to break) Brand name printed on the reverse side.

Little history from MY case... I had no problems with one of the generics; HOWEVER I could not take a different generic due to the buffers, or inert contents in the tablet. I had to go 15 miles away back to the original pharmacy I used (same chain) to obtain the generic that my body liked.

I am now on TegXR (XR=Extended Release) and have been for some time.

I have been on Teg since the beginning of my seizures. My system is very tollerant to drugs. For Teg I was able to take 1800 when younger; I first encountered problems when they tried 2200mg/day of the XR and noted toxic symptoms (drunk like symptoms, vision and balance effected, noticed a "peak" then the symptoms wore off). Every patient has different issues and not everybody can tollerate the same amount.

Like I said.. My body is VERY tollerant to medications compared to others I have heard from on boards.

I hope Teg works out for you. One note if you are on XR or put on it.... XR's coatings (the capsuls) go through a persons digestive system... Something my Doc failed to warn me about and that freaked me when I noticed it.

--Travis

Old 03-08-2006, 01:36 PM   #14
    way p g
    (female)

way p g HB User

Thankx for the info Travis. My hands and feet are still swollen and itchy but hopefully it will get better.
    Pam

Closed Thread