It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• dreaming of seizures

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-16-2006, 03:40 PM   #1
    aussie308
    (female)

aussie308 HB User
    Question dreaming of seizures

I have had something very odd happen to me several times and wondered if anyone else has had this happen. Sometimes I will dream I am having a seizure and when I wake up I will find that I have had. I feel post ictal and my speech is messed up as it after having one when I'm awake. I don't always feel bad upon waking when I've dreamed of one and sometimes I wake up postictal without having dreamed of one. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this or heard of it.

All replies greatly apprciated. Laura

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
    bryan916
    (male)

bryan916 HB User
    Re: dreaming of seizures

I have had the same problems before.. I've been dealing with grand mal seizures for the last 4 years (started having them at age 22) and I have had this happen to me occasionally. Most recently, twice in the last few months, I have had that same feeling when sleeping. When I woke up I really had no physical evidence that I actually had a seizure, but I guess it is possible that I did. This feeling that I have is the same one that comes on before I have a seizure when concious, that aura effect where I feel somewhat disoriented. The thing that makes it so difficult is that I don't always have a seizure when I have the aura feeling (while concious), so after waking up I don't really know for sure whether or not I have had a seizure. I am also a deep sleeper, so I don't realize that this happened until the next morning, when the after-effects of a seizure have already passed (atleast for me).

Old 03-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
    aussie308
    (female)

aussie308 HB User

bryan,you sound a lot like me. I will sometimes dream I,m having a seiz. and wake up feeling ok., but I've had times when I have no idea what is going on and my husband will tell me I've had a bad seiz. during my sleep. If you don't mind me asking, what started your seiz.? Mine startead after a surgery gone wrong. I've had them about 4 years now. I was 33 when mine started. I've been on most seiz. meds. known and am now on 150mg phenobarb. and have a VNS implant. Appriciate the input., let me know how you're doing.

Laura

l

Old 03-21-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
    bryan916
    (male)

bryan916 HB User

Laura,

I started to have seizures out of nowhere when I was 22. My dad started having seizures when he was older (45-50) but takes depakote and has not had any problems for a few years now. Also my cousin on my Dad's side kind of had the same situation as me in her late teens, although I don't think she has ever had one unless she is asleep. Maybe it is something that is in my genes, I don't know. But I also have had a couple mild sports concussions when I was younger (one when I was 11, one when I was 15), but didn't feel any lingering effects at the time. Now that I'm 26, and 4 years after my first one, I have gone through 4 different meds.. First Dilantin, then Tegretol, Depakote, and now Lamictal. The reason I have been switching is because none of them have had any effect on my seizures. I am very fortunate to not have seizures at the frequency as some others do, but I still do have them maybe once every two months on average, which is why I have tried different meds. Maybe I am not giving them long enough to try and work? I don't know, but my doctor has suggested switching a couple times and I did the other time. He didn't seem opposed to my most recent suggestion, so I hope I waited long enough. I have up'd my dose so many times, its hard to remember what I was at without checking my own logs. But right now I am taking 250mg of Lamictal twice a day, which my doctor said is the limit you can do with that medication. I have slowly been upping my dose because I've been having that aura feeling every week or two, but luckily no seizures for over 6 months.

I hope you didn't have any other problems with that bad surgery. While atleast you know what causes your seizures, it probably gives you no comfort because of the problems you have to deal with as a result. How has your current medication been working for you? Do you have seizures anymore? Also I would like to know at what frequency have you been changing meds, always wondered if I am giving it enough time.

Old 03-22-2006, 04:48 AM   #5
    aussie308
    (female)

aussie308 HB User
    Cool Re: dreaming of seizures

Good morning Bryan,
    My current med. phenobarb., seems to work ok. I don't have any ill effects from it like I have so many others. I've been on 8 or 9 different meds. anywhere from 2 weeks to a year depending on how I reacted to them. I am allergic to Lamactil, dilantin and zonegran. Had very bad side effects from Keppra, Neurontin, Depakote and a couple of others I can't think of right now. I think it takes about 2 months for your body to get fully adjusted to a new med. and it to peak effeftiveness, but some can't be tolerated that long.

I still have seiz. at about one to 4 a month. it depends a lot on the stress I'm under. Fortunatly most of the time I can feel one coming on and get sat down safely before it actually comes. I've had my VNS about15 months and it seems to be helping. My freq. has decreased from about 10 to 12 a month, and the severity isn't nearly as bad. I used to have 2or 3 granmals a mo. but now only 1 every 3 or 4 months.

Congrats! on being seiz. free for over 6 mo. Hope it keeps up for you. I think E can run in families.

I've not had any other problems from the surgery. What happened, I went in for some minor female surgery and they forgot to tie off one of the bleeders and I bled internally for over 24 hrs. before it was caught. I was losing concioussness when I went back to surgery. 3 weeks later I had the first seiz. But the drs. won't say there's any connection.

Hope I answered some of your questions. Have a good day and feel free to ask anything else. Laura

Last edited by aussie308; 03-22-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Old 03-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #6
    mnt89

mnt89 HB User

The same thing has happened to me as well. It used to happen to me quite often, but not so much any more. It was very confusing at times becaue sometimes I didn't know if I was dreaming or awake.
    Michael

Old 03-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
    aussie308
    (female)

aussie308 HB User

Hi Michael, Thanks for replying. It is weird to feel as if your having a seiz and not being sure if your awake or asleep. Do you feel post ictal if you know you've been sleeping when you wake up? Sometimes even if I don't when I wake up I will have a seiz. later that day or with in a couple of days. Some kind of premonition?
    Does that ever happen to you? Laura

Closed Thread