It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Dreamlike aura

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
    airmandelt
    (male)

airmandelt HB User
    Dreamlike aura

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with epilepsy after several really nasty seizures; the first of which I didnt wake up from for 4 days.I noticed that for about 20 hours before a grand mal seizure I would have an aura event. Now while I consider myself reasonably intelligent I had a difficult time explaining the sensations and sensory experiences one feels during the aura event itself. The best that I could do was to tell people that I could {feel} the distance between myself and other objects. I became acutely hypersensative to anything that was in motion around me and would sometimes have a bad overreaction to those objects. Imagine someone throwing a baseball at your head as hard as they could. Now imagine having that type of reaction to someone tossing you a pillow.
    I remember having these auras when I was a kid but with a limited vocabulary I found it nearly impossible to get my parents to pay attention. I believe now that they were just scared. I dont know what I would have said if I were in their shoes back then. Im thankful that I got to live my youth seizure free as these started happening when I was 30.
    Has anyone else had auras like what I described or are yours different? Thanks for all of your feedback!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #2
    jamesmasheder
    (male)

jamesmasheder HB User
    Re: Dreamlike aura

i know exactly that feeling! i was just zoning out in the internet cafe myself, and trying my best to reinforce the reality of the computer! I believe the technical term is "derealisation". I also suffer a lot from hallucinations in these states,sometimes full blown visions, like a waking dream. I feel ya! It is very hard to explain to friends, and just like you my parents didnt really catch on that i wasnt kidding as about those hallucinations! It is often hard for others to accept that we can have such a wierd condition (indescribable sensations etc) and not actually be crazy! but so life rolls on, and one must accept the cards dealt with optimism, you must remember people like us are not only epileptics but highly talented, well practised daydreamers of rare predisposition! hang in there! youll be alright mate!

james m.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #3
    twisted762006
    (female)

twisted762006 HB User

I have auras. Mine are sort of like yours, but they've been changing a lot lately. Usually, before I have an absence seizure, I get this terrible feeling of Deja vu, almost to the point of being sick. I usually find myself in a dreamlike state during one of my seizures. It's odd actually. For the most part, it's always the same thing. As weird as this sounds, I used to play a game on my Playstation called Spyro the Dragon. My dreamlike states would be me in the game, and always the same spot in that game. It was hard trying to explain it to my parents as well. My mother always thought it was just hormones. I still find it hard to say what I'm going through, because it feels like there just aren't words to descibe it. Yesterday I had my worst seizure yet, which lasted for over 45 minutes. During this, I walked into the cafeteria and felt terrible! I was there, but I felt like I wasn't. And it seemed like everything had changed, like I was seeing things in a totally new way. Yet again, it felt like a dream and that I wasn't supposed to be there. It's hard to handle things like this, because I get scared during them. Sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy, but I know I'm not. What a horrible feeling. It's always nice to talk with someone about it, and we all have the same problems generally speaking. It's good to have people who know what I'm going through.

Old 05-14-2006, 11:26 PM   #4
    vietnam ptsd
    (male)

vietnam ptsd HB User
    Question Re: Dreamlike aura

I also will get a deja vu feeling very often. Mine will usually start with a tingling sensation in the testicles followed by a feeling of "haven't i been here before?" I will sit in my living room looking around feeling like its the 70's. Being 100% disabled vet with epilepsy I will also think of this as PTSD. I had one doc tell me that this deja vu sensations are small seizures themselves. Has any one else been told that?

Old 05-27-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
    IJUSTWANNANO
    (male)

IJUSTWANNANO HB User

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by IJUSTWANNANO; 09-04-2006 at 04:02 AM.

Closed Thread