It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

complex febrile seizure and phenobarb.

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2002, 08:27 AM   #1
melissa123

melissa123 HB User
Question complex febrile seizure and phenobarb.

Last summer (in June) my then 18 month old daughter had a complex febrile seizure which lasted over 2 1/2 hours. She was paralyzed and put on a ventilator. The said it was due to a virus. Her eeg showed seizure activity so they put her on Phenobarb. once daily and her mri in Dec. was normal but they kept her on phenobarb. I was wondering if any of this can cause behavior problems or for her to cling to me. I know she was scared but she wont sleep alone at night and is taking a tole on my hubby and me. Also once she shows seizure activity on the eeg will it be like that forever. My husband also has undiagnosed seizures only about 1 or 2 a year though and no meds. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2002, 09:04 PM   #2
Kokopelli
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
Hi Melissa,

And welcome to Healthboards I have been epileptic since I was 14 due to a horseback riding accident I had. I was on tegretol and dilantin for many years. Which I then ended up with think it was called aplastic anemia not sure how it is spelled. Anyway that was due to the doses of medications I was on .. I do remember though being very close to my mom and not wanting to sleep alone when I first ended up with epilepsy they basically had to make me sleep in my own room no matter how hard it was or how bad I felt it was a hard thing for them to do and my parents are very loving understanding people which I can tell you and your hubby are. It's a hard thing to do but you two need to have your privacy as well. I could be very wrong but I don't think its the pheno thats making her like this I think its the needy feeling. I went on pheno about 8 years ago and I don't have any problems with it at all.. Melissa you have a long road ahead of you however, your child can have a happy and very normal life if you as the parent treat her like a normal child no matter how needy she may be at times.
Hugs and god bless for your family

Hugs
Koko

Old 04-24-2002, 09:10 PM   #3
melissa123

melissa123 HB User
Thank you so much, I have been waiting for hours for someone to reply...I want to make her stay in bed but for the life of me (when she cries and looks at me with her big blue eyes) I just want to cry with her. The drs told me she is a walking miracle seizing for that long with no (at least not yet) side effects from it or brain damage. I just have a hard time being stern with her because it always pops in my mind that she may not be here with me if it werent for the grace of God. Again thank you so much for your reply.

Old 04-24-2002, 09:46 PM   #4
Kokopelli
Veteran

Kokopelli HB User
I am sorry you had to wait for so long on a reply Melissa usually the middle of the week kinda well slows down a little I know thats got to be hard to look into her eyes but you'll make her strong hon it may hurt now but give her a gift of strength my parents gave this to me although I have my bad moments too LOL where I feel so weak but I allways feel I can conquer the world when I learn and meet knew goals just think of this as a goal for her hugs and keep us up to date on how she is doing and a great big hug for her too

Hugs
Koko

Old 05-12-2002, 05:27 PM   #5
wendyhud

wendyhud HB User
My son was but on phenobarb 4 months ago after his second grand mal seizer.He has ADHA and it has made him more hyper,as for clinging he isn't doing that.We are in the process of changing the phenobarb.I just hope we can find something.I'm so glad your daughter didn't suffer any side affects from the seizer.Good luck to you and your family

Old 05-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #6
melissa123

melissa123 HB User
Hey Wendy,
I hope you find a new med that works well for your son!! Thank you for your reply and God Bless!!

Old 07-25-2004, 06:48 PM   #7
Shy's Tired Mom

Shy's Tired Mom HB User
Question Re: complex febrile seizure and phenobarb.

My daughter is 18 months old and had a febrile seizure at daycare that lasted over 25-30 minutes. Her very first one and I am so scared I dont like leaving her anywhere any more cuz i think she will have a nother one and I can not be there when it happens. She is going for an EEG this Thursday. Can you give me any advise or help me out before then so I can be ready for anything?

Closed Thread