It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Clonazepam (Klonopin) and Sleep disorder and other cool stuff

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2003, 10:34 AM   #1
    Lefora
    Inactive

Lefora HB User
    Lightbulb Clonazepam (Klonopin) and Sleep disorder and other cool stuff

It wasn't until 2001 when I went to the Neurologist because I wanted to begin the weaning process off my Clonazepam. I had been taking what seems like a measly 1mg a day for at least 7 years and had been seizure free ever since. (WOOHOO!)

Anyway, shortly after I started 'coming down', I began experiencing problems. The first was sleep deprivation. I would literally be trying to sleep for about 5 hours before I could fall asleep. Working 2 jobs at the time and being at university, I really couldn't afford the deprivation and my quality of life dwindled (although one might question the term quality if I was working 2 jobs in the first place).

I began to withdraw emotionally, although wasn't aware of it at first. I was also 'slowing down' on the job, although it wasn't until my boss (nice guy, I must add) informed me that my performance at work was suffering. Finally, I walked off my job, completely knackered (stuffed) and became indifferent or more like depressed on a level that could be comparative to suicidal (except no suicidal tendencies). I simply didn't care, and didn't see the point in anything any more. Did I mention, I was tired? I was also reluctant to get out of bed and do anything at this point and was diagnosed by a doctor as being clinically depressed.

Nearly 18 months went by before I finally got the doctors agreement that the altering in my medical dosage had upset my body's chemical harmony.

I am to be medicated with a new drug in a couple of months and will be pulled off Clonazepam cold turkey I suspect (as trying the other way just upset me more and my seizure expectancy goes up 100% either way). Other side effects I have noticed even after semi-stabilising have been erratic sleep patterns (sometimes good, sometimes bad), poor concentration and memory - university was a mission and won't be going back until I can get my brain functioning properly, anxieties and auras.

Now, I've had agoraphobia since around the time I began taking Clonazepam in 1994, which leads me to suspect some kind of blame there (small price to pay for no seizures though!) and within the past year or so intolerance to stress, causing minor panic attacks. Also since 1994, I have experienced cluster migraines, although neurologist couldn't give me a definite link between epilepsy and migraine headachees. Either way, migraine is better than a seizure.

Why I've rattled all this off is to offer someone out there who may be going through the same thing I did when I tried to come off Clonzepam and doesn't know what is causing it. I thought it was just burn out, but it was a combination and what kicked it off was the drug alterations.

Up until the time of weaning, I had extremely good results with Clonazepam (all partial and full seizures STOPPED COMPLETELY after they had increased to fortnightly with auras every other day)
    and only noticeable side-effects (compared to the likes of Tegrotol, Epilim and Dilantin) were addiction, which for me was a good reminder to take my medication in the morning as I would begin to 'hang out' for it otherwise and concentration problems that kicked in at least after 5 years of taking the drugs, anxiety which was present shortly after drug introduction. In 2001, I also became aware of a possible new kind of seizure emerging, which was never confirmed as I never lost consciousness, nor became disoriented. This is supposed to be one of possible side effects of the medication and has been documented.

I didn't experience drowsiness, unlike with other meds, but given my low dosage, I may be a rare case, I don't know.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone. I know it's long and drawn out, but I'm trying to give as accurate and informative account as possible. It was successful in controlling both kinds of seizures.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread