It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Dilantin, Depakote and Weight Gain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-25-2003, 02:59 PM   #1
    SEJ

SEJ HB User
    Question Dilantin, Depakote and Weight Gain

My story is fairly common, from what I've read so far. I have JME and was on Dilantin from ages 14 - mid-30's and on Depakote from mid-30's to now (age 44). Although I've struggled with weight issues all my life (I am also taking Synthroid for hypothyroidism), the weight gain became really uncontrollable when I started taking Depakote. I honestly don't know if it causes a slower metabolism, increased appetite, lethargy, or a combination of all three. My neurologist tried to switch me to Topamax several months ago, but I had not yet transitioned completely over when I started having problems. (I am, at least, well-controlled on Depakote.) Has anybody with JME made a transition from Depakote to another medication successfully and managed to lose weight?

As a side note: A cousin of mine was taking Depakote for bi-polar disorder and also gained alot of weight (approx 100 lbs) in a year. Once he went off the Depakote, the weight came off.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2003, 03:29 PM   #2
    Utahmom

Utahmom HB User
    My son has been on Depakote for seven years and is as skinny as a rail - 5 foot 4 inches and weighs 90 lbs...don't know if Depakote might affect women differently from men or whether weight gain might happen after a person has matured...

------------------
    Mother of 15 year old son, Jared, born with Hydrocephalus and takes Depakote for seizures.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
    unhopeful

unhopeful HB User
    i take dilian for my serizers and they do control my life i can no longer work can't be alone for long periods of time i have them daily and i can't remember anything and it takes me a day to recover from them and it's hard becouse the state expects me to work and i have had my driving lic. taken away cause my serizers are so bad. i know what you are going through

Closed Thread