It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Tegretol XR shortage?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2003, 08:08 AM   #1
    terias

terias HB User
    Post Tegretol XR shortage?

Hey there. I'm new to the boards and am technically posting for my husband. We are having a very hard time tracking down Tegretol XR at the local pharmacies and now at the mail-order pharmacy used by our health insurance. Has anyone else had this problem? We have *finally* (after several months of pharmacy hopping) been told that it is on Manufacturing back order. I'm trying to find out the why and how long of this as my husband is doing very well on the XR, but have so far come up with nothing. It looks like he may get switched to the regular Tegretol, which doesn't seem like a good thing. My husband has a hard enough time remembering to take pills twice a day, three times a day is going to be a mess!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2003, 02:14 PM   #2
    Discododi
    Inactive

Discododi HB User

[This message has been edited by Discododi (edited 08-12-2003).]

Old 05-13-2003, 10:05 AM   #3
    heavenangelrose

heavenangelrose HB User
    Maybe when you go to the doctor next time. Get a 3 month supply instead of just one month. I was on tegretal and tegretal xr both. Which im on tegretal xr still now but in the middle of changing to topamax.
    But In my opinion tegretal xr is a better pill. And another hint. Dont wait until the last minute to call it in. Call in bout a week before he runs out that way if the pharmacy is low they can order some in before you have to go hunting for pills. Hopefully this has helped you.
    And if he is on the regular tegretal now and seems to see brusing. He might need to get some liquid b complex at walmart.

Old 05-14-2003, 10:15 AM   #4
    terias

terias HB User
    Quote:
    Originally posted by heavenangelrose:
    Maybe when you go to the doctor next time. Get a 3 month supply instead of just one month.
    Yup, we did that. Refills are still a problem, just not as often.

Quote:
    Dont wait until the last minute to call it in. Call in bout a week before he runs out that way if the pharmacy is low they can order some in before you have to go hunting for pills.
    Did that too...they'd give us a few days worth, tell us to come back in 3 days, give us 3 more days worth and tell us to come back in 3 days...the cycle repeated for quite a while. He probably could have just gotten all their pills at once and had the same end result. About 3 weeks after our last refill request, they finally got their new supply in. Major Pain in the...well, you know. The mail order pharmacy that gives us 3 months worth didn't even do that. They said they don't have it, he needs a prescription for something else. And the insurance co. won't let us get 3 months worth through a local pharmacy (not that they'd have that many pills anyways, since they never even have 1 months worth). Ah well.

He hasn't started transitioning to the regular tegretol yet...the nurse forgot to fill him in on the process for that one. Oops. He's been on it before though, just doesn't like it as much.

Old 05-21-2003, 09:59 PM   #5
    Stardust438

Stardust438 HB User
    For the last month, I have had the same problem with the Tegretol XR shortage. MerckMedco mailed me a different medication called, Carbatrol, which is a generic brand (i think). I have been taking Tegretol since I was about 2 years old and I'm now 21, and I wasn't sure about taking Carbatrol. My neurologist told me to try it out, and it's been working just as well at Tegretol XR was. Carbatrol has extended release just like Tegretol XR. So if you're still having trouble finding Tegretol, then Carbatrol is another option
    -Renee-

Closed Thread