It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• athlete with epilepsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-30-2003, 01:44 PM   #1
    RaysMom
    (female)

RaysMom HB User
    Post athlete with epilepsy

are there any athletes with epilepsy, and during sports having seizures. How do you feel before and after. For me i play soccer, i know don't use your head but i grew up playing soccer and its my life. is there anybody else playing soocer with epilepsy please tell me your story.

ray

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-11-2003, 07:53 PM   #2
    photo1257

photo1257 HB User
    My daughter has seizures during soccer. Mainly she has them during explosive drills and hard workouts but sometimes during soccer games. She also has problems with seizures during basketball season. We have seen so many doctors with the most recent at Riley Children's Hosptial in Indianapolis who acted like she had never heard of exercise (exertion) induced seizures. We are still trying to get information on it. If you know anything, let me know and I will do the same.

Old 05-12-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
    LisaG890
    Veteran

LisaG890 HB User
    Thumbs up

Hey Ray,

I do not have personal experience with seizures. My baby has them, however, during my many conversations with other I have ran across 3 different people who said that they have never seized during an athletic event, but they often had them when they finished.

Two of the individuals I spoke with said that they drink 30 oz. (total) Gatorade before, during and after a sporting event. Both said that this took care of seizures; they felt that it was the depletion of the electrolytes in the system that triggered the seizures.

Best of luck, and I don't think that you should let the fact you are having seizures stop you from participating in something that you are so passionate about. If you are not able to play yourself, maybe think of coaching.

Lisa
    Jake 12/31/01

Old 05-24-2003, 02:38 AM   #4
    scozz00

scozz00 HB User
    Ray: there is a well-known professional soccer player in Scotland who has epilepsy. He has had several fits before and during games, and during live TV games. His name is Alen Orman, he is Austrian, and plays at quite a high level of professional sport. He has been told he can continue to play and he has a good attitude. [url="http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/nw150503.htm"]http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/nw150503.htm[/url]

I play soccer too and I have never had a fit during a game. I may eventually but it would just be one of those things. I don't think you should stop playing sports because you are afraid of having a fit. (unless advised to by doctors). People will understand.

Closed Thread