It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• DILANTIN – FRISIUM – NOT WORKING - LOOKING FOR ALTERNATIVE DRUG’S OR METHOD’S

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-24-2003, 05:43 AM   #1
    BAHAMAS
    (male)

BAHAMAS HB User
    Question DILANTIN – FRISIUM – NOT WORKING - LOOKING FOR ALTERNATIVE DRUG’S OR METHOD’S

Hi everyone

I am presently taking “Dilantin” ( 200 mgs per day ) & “Frisium” ( 20 mgs per day ) . It is a low dose , I will explain why .

For year’s I was on Dilantin by itself , with little luck in controlling my seizures , BUT – as my Cerebellum is damaged due to

Too high a dosage of either the Dilantin or another drug , I now have a balance problem . So to try & find a reasonable

Balance the Frisium was added .

I was also told by my Neurologist , that the Dilantin at a higher dosage may do further damage to my Cerebellum .

The balance problem is bad enough , but it also affect’s my speech , making it slurred & I find it hard to express myself ,

Therefore in public I tend to clam – up & not say as much as I would , if I did not have this cerebellum / balance problem .

As I am a Canadian citizen , & certain drug’s can not be prescribed in Canada – are there any New single drug’s that can be

Used in Canada , especially for someone who has tried every drug in out there , with no luck ? .

Hoping for some positive reply’s . http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/t_up.gif

Thank’s BAHAMASSS

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2003, 07:42 PM   #2
    epilepsysucks

epilepsysucks HB User
    Hi, I am currently taking Frisium 3x/day and Rivitril am and pm. This combo seems to work well for me with minimal side effects. I was on Epilim, Lamictal and Rivitril but that didn't help. I've heard very bad stuff about Dilantin and would suggest asking about changing that medication. I know everyone is different so I'm just telling you what is working best for me. I have generilzed and partial seizures. I'm in Australia.

Old 05-26-2003, 11:34 AM   #3
    pretty_kitty

pretty_kitty HB User
    Have you thought of any alternatives TO medication? I am as yet just thinking about it, but it has been said in books and such that the scent of Jasmine is supposed to diffuse seizures. I am going a little bit crazy trying to collect information. I love to burn candles anyways. Jasmine and Lavender are supposed to be okay. If nothing else, if you decided to use candles, it adds atmosphere to a room, and it can be a wonderful air freshener. I use candles alot after I wash the floor. It is supposed to be really calming, and that is how it helps.
    -Good luck whatever you decide!!
    -Kitty

Old 05-28-2003, 01:36 PM   #4
    sandinmyears

sandinmyears HB User
    Along the same lines as kitty, changing your diet can have a significant affect on your seizure activity.

Read up on Gluten and Casein.

Gluten is in wheat, oats, barley (malt), MSG, and rye.
    Casein, I believe, is the protein in milk. It can be found in all dairy products and is put in products like margarine, cereals (look for "WHEY") in the ingredients. That indicates dairy/casein.

It's a difficult diet and is primarily geared toward celiac disease (the gluten) and autism (the gluten and casein), but it does seem to make a difference in seizure activity for many people.

I don't think I can leave my email but check my profile. If my profile doesn't give my email, go to the website in my profile. You can email me BWO of it.

Wishing you the best,
    Sandy

Old 05-28-2003, 02:42 PM   #5

RL@ HB User
    Have you ever taken Phenabarbital with the Dilantin?

Rich

Old 05-28-2003, 02:51 PM   #6

RL@ HB User
    okay - that's Phenobarbital...........lol

And I love the smell of Jasmine Pretty_Kitty. But I didn't know that.......

Thanx
    Rich

Closed Thread