It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Forgetfulness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-28-2003, 07:38 AM   #1
    sandinmyears

sandinmyears HB User
    Question Forgetfulness

Hi,
    I'm Sandy. I'm new on this board, but post regularly on another epilepsy messageboard.

Anyone else here (and I'm sure there is) who has MAJOR problems with forgetfulness. I was on my way to church this Sunday and as the person was taking me, I had an aura (SPS) and realized I hadn't taken my AM meds. SOLUTION: Put them in my purse, right??? Well, I always forget my purse. SOLUTION: put them out on the table the night before. I do that, but I'm so used to seeing them there that I've become blind to them.

Fortunately, if I'm late on a dose, the worse that will happen is a brief SPS/aura. I could have asked her to take me back home but I knew she was in a rush and didn't want to make her take me home. We were almost there and I know that people really get frustrated with my forgetfulness. ARRGGGHHHHH!

Similarly, (diff't type of memory, though) I have a hard time with getting my short-term memory to turn into long-term memory. I read where this is related to the hippocampus (or damage to the hippocampus). I my seizures are left temporal lobe in origin.

I memorized my presidents in 5th grade (up to #37..Richard Nixon) and I can rattle them right off but even to this day, I slow down when I get up to #38 (Gerald Ford) and beyond. I'm sure this seems insignificant, but it has cost me a few jobs because I couldn't remember things or how to do things that I should have "known by now." Short-term just doesn't want to become long-term. Repetition does help in this are.

BTW, I do fine remembering numbers, dates, birthdates, phone numbers or just numbers in general-- like JFK was 43 when elected, 46 when he died. b. 5/29/17. Stuff like that. I'm almost splinter/savant with remembering dates. I've played music by ear since a little kid too. Possibly my right temporal lobe is overcompensating for the loss in my left.

Sandy

[This message has been edited by sandinmyears (edited 05-28-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2003, 09:04 AM   #2
    mommajessibelle
    Veteran
    (female)

mommajessibelle HB User
    sandy im the same way i can rememeber all sorts of numbers but it semms as though i cant remember anything else and im only 22 whats up that i can rememeber how much all my kids weighed when they where born how long they were the time all that stuff but half the time i cant even remember how to get to the store i dont understand some days

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If GOD brings you to it... He WILL bring you through it.

mother of 3
    Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 05-28-2003, 09:33 AM   #3
    KittyMom
    Inactive

KittyMom HB User
    Lightbulb

They say that the anti-seizure medication gives you trouble with short term memory loss. I am the same way! I can't remember to make a phone call 10 min. after I say I am going to do it. I can remember the names of every one of my teachers starting from the first grade but I can't remember what my child just asked me to bring for the class party. It's not you, trust me!! I think it is all of us.

Let me ask you a question...I went to go and apply for a few jobs today just to get out of the house some. I was fine getting to the place but once I got inside I was shaking like a leaf and stuttering like an idiot! It took 20 min to go away after I left. I think they thought I was on some serious drugs. I felt terrable when I got nervous. I got weak and shaky and couldn't speak...hmmmmmm. There is a new one. Has anyone ever done that??

Thank you for your time.

God Bless,
    KittyMom

Old 05-28-2003, 10:05 AM   #4
    sandinmyears

sandinmyears HB User
    Just a layperson here, but sounds like it could be some type of seizure.

Sandy

------------------
    SPS, CPS, 2ndarily Generalized since age 4

Old 05-28-2003, 12:59 PM   #5
    KittyMom
    Inactive

KittyMom HB User
    I forget don't I Lizz? I forget to write friends on the email....Sorry!

KittyMom

Old 05-28-2003, 01:40 PM   #6
    Krazykcio
    Veteran
    (female)

Krazykcio HB User
    Hi All,
    I have short term memory retrieval....the information is there, I just have trouble finding it. I have decided that I will take my time and not allow anyone to rush me. That way I am not as confused and frustrated. My pills are on my counter in a pill container. I take them in the AM and again in the PM. I have to go past them, so I rarely forget. Last time I forgot I had a grand mal three hours after I normally take them. It serves as a reminder! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif Hope everyone is well. Kathy

Old 06-04-2003, 02:38 PM   #7
    sjb1skeets
    Inactive

sjb1skeets HB User
    hey all,
    I just started experiences memory loss about 3 months ago. Each day it seems to get worse and worse. I can't remember if I took my meds,a number someone just told me 3 seconds ago. People tell me that I'm just getting old but for crying out loud I'm only 22. However I can remember strange things. Things from when I was very young from 18mo on. NO one can tell me why I can remember things that far back when I can' t even remember something just told to me. I have been on AED's for 9-10 years now could it be the meds or really just because Im aging?

Old 06-04-2003, 04:15 PM   #8
    KittyMom
    Inactive

KittyMom HB User
    Exclamation

No, that is not age my dear! Not at 22! That is the ASM. I used to remember EVERYTHING just a year ago. I was 31 years old. You could set your watch down on the dryer and 2 weeks later I could tell you exactly where it was as long as I saw it once. I was never very good at names but now forget it!! I am lucky to remember my own...what was it again?? OH YEAH!! [Just kidding. Bad one I know] When I started having seizures I started to forget things. When I started taking ASMs it got incredibly worse. Don't worry!! We are all in the same boat! It is not your age by any means!

God Bless,
    KittyMom

------------------
    Mother of 3 beautiful kids and wife to a Great husband! I love helping others...it helps me grow!

Old 06-04-2003, 04:27 PM   #9
    llamashackgirl

llamashackgirl HB User
    I am having a TERRIBLE time remembering words that normally come naturally for me. Especially at work...I find myself searching for the word and it goes on just long enough until I start noticing my assistants looking at each other or down to not embarrass me, and then I just use another word (not the one I wanted to but something similar). It is so frustrating. I have only been on meds for 3 weeks, so maybe I'll adjust but I really would like to process words and thoughts like I use to.

hmmmm.....

Old 06-04-2003, 08:16 PM   #10
    Lisa T
    Veteran
    (female)

Lisa T HB User
    Red face

I am right there with you all. yesterday i called the neuro to double check my appointment time, went to write it down after i hung up and had to call back!! The receptionist laughed at me. Funny to her, not to me. I talk to my best friend almost every other day, but i don't remember anything she tells me, so she just keeps telling me the same things until it isn't neccessary for me to know them anymore!!! Words are now becoming a problem. Be talking to someone and i either can't say the word or think of the apprioate one. (ex. bullied- could not get that darn word out for anything yesterday!) I feel as though i grow stupidier everyday! I'm no einstein, but i used to be able to hold my own - now i try to avoid at all costs! Nerves are a problem now. If i get nervous i shake. Sorta like i'm cold you know? Right away everyone is asking are you okay? You're shaking sit down, we don't want you to fall and get hurt.

Listen to me whine, sorry I just meant to say that I'm another with those problems. Sorry about the above, rough day today! Emergency room all afternoon. as usually, go home and take your meds all tests came back normal. I swear, i wanted to shout do normal people go around falling and having seizures or just plain falling when they stand up? Blood pressure 88/53? am i the only one seeing a problem here? DOCTORS!!!!!!!!!!!!! ugh

oops sorry again. Better stop now!

Lisa

[This message has been edited by Lisa T (edited 06-04-2003).]

Old 06-04-2003, 08:37 PM   #11
    mommajessibelle
    Veteran
    (female)

mommajessibelle HB User
    lisa t i was having the same problem i was shaking really bad but mine wasnt nerves i didnt know what it was for a long time it was so bad i would litterally fall over at times and so i fially went to my family dr and come to find out my problem was low blood pressure i couldnt believe it i got back to the room the checked my bp and it was 63/43 for a 22 y/o female thats not normal i was prescribed some more meds (ughh) for that to raise my bp and things seem to be going better now as far as the shaking and the falling i dont have that happen any more you might want to get checked out just a thought i dont know if it has something to do with the epilepsy meds or what but i have never had problems with my bp at all and now all of the sudden i seem to be having more and more health problems could they all be linked? kinda makes a person wonder doesnt it?

------------------
    mother of 3
    ages 4,3,and 11 months
    my pride and joy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If GOD brings you to it... He WILL bring you through it.

mother of 3
    Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 06-05-2003, 07:42 AM   #12
    KittyMom
    Inactive

KittyMom HB User
    Angry

Ladies, Ladies!

You are never going to believe this one! This is the all-time "forgetting" story ever!

But first, LisaT....I have the same problem Lisa. I got a little nervous going to a job interview 2 weeks ago and I started shaking and stuttering and my knees went weak. It was horrible. I don't know what it was, it sure felt like low blood pressure but I thought it could have been medicine related or the "E". Felt like a seizure also....who knows?? Oh, and you out of all of us should know that you can come here to whine and complain all you want to! We are here for ya! I find it comforting in itself that I am not the only one who does it. Sometimes at home I feel like I am the biggest whiner so I don't say anything and then post here....lol. Bring it on girl, we can take it! We are as tough as they come!

Ok ok, here is the story to top them all but if you have one that beats this then I would be more than willing to hear it. I awoke this morning to find a card on my computer that said, "My Love, My Kitty" (Kitty is my nick name for my husband) I thought that he was so kind and thoughtful to get me a card just because. How did he know I had another seizure last night?? I haven't told him yet....oh, the kids must have told him when he got home from work last night. (He works 2pm-10pm) What a sweet guy right?! YES HE IS but do you know what?? He doesn't deserve me, he needs someone with a brain (I used to have one). I FORGOT OUR ANNIVERSARY!!! TEN YEARS AND I FORGOT!! DUHHHHHH! How lame is that?? It wasn't the man that forgot, but me!!! I cried and cried. He hugged me and said that he understood and it is all ok. "You have a lot on your mind Kitty," he says to me. How sweet! I am a JERK!!

There, I won't take up any more of your time! That is the most forgetful thing I have ever done. Please, like I said before, if you have a better one then I would love to hear it.

Love ya guys,
    KittyMom

------------------
    Mother of 3 beautiful kids and wife to a Great husband! I love helping others...it helps me grow!

Old 06-06-2003, 07:27 AM   #13
    HawkFan1502

HawkFan1502 HB User
    KittyMom, you're not dumb!!! All of us are going through a lot and you're lucking to have such a good guy who understands. I finally found one 5 years ago and he puts up with a lot also. I'm just thankful that God led me to him. Enjoy life as long as we can and be happy for having him in your life.

Closed Thread