It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• how many people wear medical alert bracelet?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-21-2003, 11:22 PM   #1
    violarose

violarose HB User
    Question how many people wear medical alert bracelet?

i just got one, and i despise wearing it because i am so young- 31, lol ,i feel stupid that i need to wear one at all. but since i have started to to become more independant since i got so sick, i felt like i needed one since i didnt want to always have somebody with me- just in case i get sick. oh and another question- for the people who have small childrent- we have a rule that if mommy gets sick you are to hold onto her clothes at all times, -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2003, 03:47 AM   #2
    railinas

railinas HB User
    Thumbs up

My friend began having seizures about 2 years ago (i think) and she began wearing an ID bracelet this past fall when she was having some significant problems...she's just turned 22 so don't feel that you are too young to wear one. It's not about age, but about safety I'm so sorry that you are going through this, just as I'm sorry my friend has to experience seizures and all the crap they bring to her life. She's right now debating the daily meds she was just prescribed and I know she's going through a really tough time. I told her about this board and hope she finds it Good Luck to you.

Old 05-22-2003, 05:17 AM   #3
    Karla
    Inactive

Karla HB User
    I think if anyone is having uncontrolled siezures it is only fair to people around them and yourself to wear an medical allert braclet or necklace. It lets people know what is going on since you can't speak for yourself. It lets them know how to treat you medically ie drug overdose vs epilepsy. There are a variety of illnesses that have siezures as a symptom. It would really be a time saver for an emt that might be called for you.

Old 05-22-2003, 06:32 AM   #4
    mommajessibelle
    Veteran
    (female)

mommajessibelle HB User
    violarose i understand your feeling on this i felt the same way about this when i fisrt got mine my grandmother acctually bought mine and brought it to me and told me that if i didnt wear it she was going to kick my butt at the time i didnt want to wear it because i thought i would be branded a freak but i did it because of my kids i didnt want to be out some were and have a seizure and not have any one know what was going on with me its not really a big deal i dont even notice i am wearing it anymore because i have had it for so long and i just turned 22 in april

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If GOD brings you to it... He WILL bring you through it.

mother of 3
    Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 05-22-2003, 08:17 AM   #5
    KittyMom
    Inactive

KittyMom HB User
    Exclamation

I got my medic bracelet just yesterday. I feel that if I have a seizure at the grocery store and come to and I don't know where I am or where I live somone will be able to help me. I have seizures where when I come to I don't know ANYTHING! I don't know that I am married, have kids, what town I live in, NOTHING! I got this so someone could help me. Not only that but seizures can progress and if I have a grand mal I don't want people to not know how to let my husband or kids know where I am. I don't even know who I am sometimes. It is good for YOU!! Who cares what the rest of the world thinks! Someday, if they don't already, they will have problems too. Who knows, they could have the same problem but you just don't know it because they hide it well like the rest of us.

You are in my prayers and God Bless,
    KittyMom

Old 05-22-2003, 09:18 AM   #6
    karen4

karen4 HB User
    I just got mine for the first time 2 months ago, at age 37! I was just having so many bad symptoms I was terrified something would happen while shopping or something and they'd think I was drunk or on drugs and just step all over me. But it's so important-- as a health care worker,I can tell you it makes such a difference when we get a patient and can know right away what the problem is, and what meds they're on. Saves hours and saves misdiagnosing.

Old 05-22-2003, 11:12 AM   #7
    Riggers

Riggers HB User
    I am trying to persuade my 16 year old son to have one but he isn't having any of it. There wasn't much choice at the Jewellers they either did a necklace with a thin chain for girls or a big chained bracelet i am going to see if i can just get the locket bit and put it on a keyring for him

Old 05-22-2003, 06:21 PM   #8
    karen4

karen4 HB User
    Riggers please tell your son how impt it is. Tell him this is an RN AND an epileptic here! I am also quite self-conscious of it and try to hide it around people who I don't think could handle knowing. But tell him if he'd come into my hospital "out of it" without us knowing why, we'd test him for drugs and who knows what if we didn't know he had a sz condition. It'd save him so much time and aggravation and unnecessary bloodwork! plus it has all his family members' and doctors' numbers there so Medicalert can call everyone if G-d forbid the need arises.

Old 05-22-2003, 08:21 PM   #9
    mommajessibelle
    Veteran
    (female)

mommajessibelle HB User
    riggers i am now 22 and have had epilepsy since 97 i know what your son is going through i didnt want to wear a medic alert braclet either but i finally boke down and agreed to if you look through the back posts on here on think its now on like page 3 there is a topic about medic id braclets and it was started by gavman if you read through all the post one of them posted a link the a website and they hava some really cool medic alert braclets i found them to be really pricy myself but it gave me some really neat ideas so i made my self one that is similar to the ones on the website maybe your son would go for something like that they are beaded with the medic alert tag instead of the chain and so nobody really notices but the paramedics sure do!!!!they still knew exactly what it was even though it didnt look like the typical medic alert braclet and they thought it was pretty neat hope this helps

------------------
    mother of 3
    ages 4,3,and 11 months
    my pride and joy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If GOD brings you to it... He WILL bring you through it.

mother of 3
    Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Old 05-24-2003, 09:00 AM   #10
    KittyMom
    Inactive

KittyMom HB User
    Exclamation

Nobody really asks questions about the bracelet. People don't pay attention like they used to. I do it for the sake of my husband and my kids. I don't want something to happen and then die from a result of getting the wrong meds or not enough time to get me the proper ones. Whatever!!! I want to be there for my childrens marriages, grandkids, and all the little things inbetween. An extremely small price to pay I think.

KittyMom

Old 05-26-2003, 10:50 AM   #11
    pretty_kitty

pretty_kitty HB User
    I was kind of excited when I got mine actually. I don't know why. I didn't put the idea of being sick in the same place that the idea of the sickness is I guess. I think everyone should wear them actually. What if the bracelet were some kind of an id? I think it would be good. How many people loose their wallets or their purses get stolen or lost? This way it would
    be kind of like going to Jewel. Just a silly idea.
    -Kitty

Old 05-27-2003, 07:44 PM   #12
    bbbbb

bbbbb HB User
    I got one about six or eight months ago. I've only had two seizures (that I know of) when not accompanied: I don't wear the braclet. I'm 23, got epilepsy less than two years ago and still have trouble letting everybody know. Maybe its some kind of personal psychological stigma for me... I know I should though...

Old 05-28-2003, 07:18 AM   #13
    sandinmyears

sandinmyears HB User
    My mother tells me that I should get one but I haven't.
    I just can't "tag" myself.

I only have a CPS/usually 2ndarily generalized about once a year, though. My other seizures (SPS) are what people call AURAS. I have my full faculties when these come. Also, when I have a CPS, I have a SPS (aura) first that lasts about a minute. I am able to tell someone nearby me what is happening. I'll say that I have epilepsy, am feeling sick and need a place to go sit down.

Sandy

Old 06-02-2003, 09:49 AM   #14
    homer975

homer975 HB User
    I am 27, diagnosed at 25. My husband was set on me wearing a bracelet. I have only had 2 tonic clonic seizures, with the last one I was 6months pregnant. When I came around, they asked me how far along I was. My response was, "What do you mean I'm Pregnant!?" Since that moment, I have not had too many concerns about it.

------------------
    No one can make you
    feel inferior, without
    your consent. ~
    Eleanor Roosevelt
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Old 06-04-2003, 08:22 PM   #15
    phoenix_TX

phoenix_TX HB User
    ok, ok, after years and years of saying heck NO...I'll do it, I get the bracelet but ONLY to be a good example for the kid..hehe..I guess I should have done it years ago.
    Great post...I wish, I had a support group when I was 12.

Closed Thread