It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Ketogenic diet??????????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2003, 06:54 AM   #1
    dsahary

dsahary HB User
    Question Ketogenic diet??????????

Hi, my son is 3 and has myoclonic-astatic epilepsy and currently takes clonazapam,lamotragine and sodium valporate, his seizures are still uncontrolled dispite being on these meds for the last 18 months. Over the last few weeks he has became very wobbly and falls over all the time, yesterday he saw his neuro as an emergancy because he could not stay on his feet without falling, at first she thought it was the meds starting to react with each other but the tests showed that it is seizures, as there are no more drugs at the moment that he can try, neuro has asked us to concider a ketogenic diet, we are concidering it as we are now desperate to get my sons seizures stable, has anyone here had anything to do with this diet or how well it can work, it is a high fat ,low cholestral,low protein diet used to treat a range of seizures in children..thanks for reading sorry post is so long

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2003, 08:47 AM   #2
    LisaG890
    Veteran

LisaG890 HB User
    Smile

Hi Dsahary,

Sorry to hear that your sons seizures have gotten worse. I'm here for my little guy as well, Jake 18mths (TLE) since Oct 02.

I don't have the information here at the office to post to you. We have not used the diet !YET! But, it's something that his neuro has discussed with us well in advance. He's figured out by now that I want to know as much as possible before starting a new treatment. I have a couple of websites and a word doc of bits and pieces put togehter that I'll share when I get home.

We were in a panic when this was first brought up. But, after a bit of research I'm more comfortable with the idea. We actually talked about it again last night as maybe a way off the meds. MAYBE! We still have a couple of other drug options yet to try for him.

Talk to you again tonight. You and your son will be in my thoughts and prays until then.

Lisa and Jake

Old 07-16-2003, 12:32 PM   #3
    dsahary

dsahary HB User
    Talking

thanks lisa for replying, my son was diagnosed in dec 2001 with this epilepsy and its nice to hear from other parents who are going through the same with their children, sometimes life can feel as if its centered around the next seizure or hospital appointment, so im hoping that this diet could give us way forward.....thanks again tracy and ryan

Old 07-16-2003, 01:31 PM   #4
    Rebecca's Mom
    (female)

Rebecca's Mom HB User
    Hi - we tried the diet a number of years ago for our daughter and although it was not successful, we are happy we tried it.......it is a big commitment and we were told it was alot more difficult than we actually found. We find seizures more difficult than administering the diet. Rebecca was able to stay in ketosis and we stayed with it for 5 weeks. There are people who go on the diet but "kind of". Our thoughts are that you have to be very strict with it to give it an honest try. We found it non-invasive and a necessary step before any surgeries. We truly find side effects to drugs a bigger threat than the diet. As a mom, it was difficult to see Rebecca hungry for things she could not have, but it was manageable. Keep the door open for sure and approach it with a very positive attitude. Heres to you and yours....a journey of decisions when you are the caregiver....don't look back though.......loving life...Paula

Old 07-16-2003, 02:27 PM   #5
    dsahary

dsahary HB User
    Talking

Thanks paula for your reply, it must have been difficult having to stop your daughter eating the foods that she wanted, in a way i feel luckier starting my son on this diet because he also has autism and other probs and doesn't show any signs of hunger, this may help us with keeping the diet strict as he does not request any food and he will eat the food put in front of him, but the downside is that he can also refuse food for a few days at a time and i cant get him to eat anything when he gets these moods, but as it is our only option at the moment we will have to find a way around the non eating days. thanks again..tracy

Old 07-17-2003, 03:52 AM   #6
    Porkette
    Inactive

Porkette HB User
    Hi,
    The ketogenic diet has been around since 1927 you can buy a great book explaining all about the diet titled: "The Epilepsy Diet Treatment" by Dr. John Freeman at Hopkins University.
    The diet is high in fat but low in carbohydrates and protein. This helps build ketones up in the body which cuts back and often stops sz. I have a cousin who was on the diet during WWII he had grand mal sz. but he was able to fly airplanes during the war and he never had a single sz. until he went off the diet when the war was over.
    You will need to buy a good gram scale and weigh all of your childs food before feeding him a meal. Usually for kids the ratio is 3:1 three grams of fat for every gram of protein. The diet is very similar to the Atkins Diet. The best thing for you to do is to speak with a dietician who can explain the diet to you and tell you what your child should and shouldn't be eating. I do know that this will not cause heart problems because your burning off the fat for energy instead of sugar. Also if your child is on diamox he will have to go off that med in order for the diet to work.
    Here's wishing you and your child the best of luck. May God Bless You Both!

Sue

Old 07-18-2003, 03:38 AM   #7
    LisaG890
    Veteran

LisaG890 HB User
    Cool

Hi Dsahary,

Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get back to you. Hadn't forgotten, just couldn't find 2 minutes here at the house to sit down and write.

This is SSSOOO Long - sorry about that. I hated to edit it because it's such good info.

You may want to visit your local health food store (not the GNC's etc)but one that sells produce, organic items, dh calls it my Mother Earth Store. I've found several products prepackaged for the Keto diet, pancake mix, soups, even brownie mix. Have no idea what it tastes like but, I felt a lot better if we have to go this route knowing that not everything is going to have to be made from scratch. If you look on line there are a couple of boards like this that deal with this diet as well - I didn't mark the links to those however.

Anyway - here goes. Again sorry it's so long. Hope it helps.

COMMON QUESTIONS FROM PARENTS REGARDING THE KETOGENIC DIET AT LPCH
    What is the ketogenic diet?
    The ketogenic diet is a special diet used to treat seizures. It was initially studied in the 1920's as a treatment option for those with intractable epilepsy. Since then, medications have replaced the diet, but there is now a resurgence of interest in the Ketogenic diet. The diet is high in fat, and low in carbohydrate and protein, which results in ketosis. In addition, fluids are limited, which helps contribute to the diet's success. This ketotic state exerts an anti-epileptic effect, though its precise mechanism of action is not completely understood.

How does the ketogenic diet work?
    The diet is high in fat, and low in carbohydrate and protein, which results in ketosis. In addition, fluids are limited, which helps contribute to the diet's success. This ketotic state exerts an anti-epileptic effect, though its precise mechanism of action is not completely understood.

What type of seizures is the ketogenic diet effective for?
    It appear to be effective for multiple types of seizures. However, we have found it to be most effective for myoclonic seizures and "minor motor" seizures. The diet also seems to be helpful for other type of seizures, such as tonic-clonic seizures and complex partial seizures.

Is my child a good candidate for the ketogenic diet?
    We recommend that you consult your physician or neurologist about the appropriateness of the ketogenic diet for your childs seizure disorder. You should also contact other keto providers and families who have been on the diet. Usually the ketogenic diet is used as a secondary method of treatment, that is, when conventional anti-seizure medications do not seem to adequately control seizures. Also, if the adverse effects of the anti-seizure medications are too great, the diet can also be considered (so that medications can be reduced).

How do I locate an institution that is currently treating children successfully with the ketogenic diet?
    Ask your childs neurologist for a referral to a, preferably close to home, site that will evaluate your child for appropriateness to start the ketogenic diet. Please note that as there are a limited number of institutions that have an active keto team, your child may have to wait a month or more to be admitted. You can find a partial list of centers/programs that are offering the ketogenic diet on our pages. <ketocenters.html>

How long with my child have to be in the hospital?
    Uncomplicated hospital admissions scheduled to initiate the ketogenic diet are typically 4-5 days in duration (Monday-Friday).2.

How long does my child stay on the diet? If the diet proves to be a worthwile form of therapy usually, the diet is followed for 2 years and weaned in the 3rd year, similiar to what might be tried with an antiepeleptic drug (AED).

How soon will we know if the diet is working?
    The diets effectiveness is seen in varrying amounts of time among individuals. It can be immediate, while the diet is being initiated in the hospital, or it may take several months. Remember, seizures are different for all children, some have several daily and other only once every 6 months.

How can my child go on diet if he is allergic or intolerant to dairy products?
    The ketogenic diet can be planned for children who cannot tolerate milk or milk products; this is true for either oral or gastrostomy fed keto kids. Heavy whip cream does not need to be a component of the diet, it can be replaced with other food sources of carbohydrate, fat and protein and produce the same degree of ketosis. For children fed by a gastrostomy, nasogastric or jejunal feeding tube, RCF (Ross Carbohydrate Free) is recommended. The protein in dairy products, which is the allergen, is replaced by a soy protein in RCF, thus there is no allergic potential, as long as the child is not allergic.

How will we be able to manage birthdays and holidays?
    Most of us are used to celebrating special occasions with friends, family, fun and yes, food. These days can still be special, but they do not need to be food centered for the ketogenic kids. For instance, at Halloween, trick or treat candy can be traded in for nickles to buy a new toy or rent a video. Birthday candles can be stuck into Play Dough and placed on a gift or the table. The rest of the family need not suffer through the holidays, however, being sensitive to a keto kids unique diet therapy is warranted.
    How will my child feel on this diet?

Children do seem to respond differently to the different stages of the ketogenic diet. Alot of this depends on what the childs baseline awake state is. Most often, during the fasting your child may feel sleepy, lethargic, and cranky. Then as the diet begins, lethargy may continue as well as nausea and vomiting, this may be due to excessive ketosis, or it the side effects of the change in metabolism from using glucose as a primary energy source to using fats instead. It may be also related to a change in drug levels. In time, children should return to their normal, or close to normal activity level; some keto kids even get more energetic with time?

One common, side effects of a high fat diet for everyone is a slower gastric emptying time, thus even though the portions may look smaller, the food will stay in the stomach longer and give a longer feeling of satiety.

What if my child "cheats" on the diet?
    Cheating, or mistakes happen for various reasons, it can be purposeful by the child, or an incorrect amount of food weighed out and realized retrospectively. Trying to mimimize this is important, but being prepared for what might likely occurr at least once is equally important. Depending on how big the extra amount of food is/was depends on the treatment. Often times, it is safe just to recognize the mistake and pick up with the regular ketogenic meal plan at the next meal.

Will anti-seizure medications be discontinued after my child goes on the diet?
    Well, that depends on the individual circumstances. In most patients anti-seizure medications are reduced. If they are on polytherapy, we usually try to eliminate some of the medications, perhaps maintaining just one medication. If they start the diet while on just one medication, we may try to reduce the dosage. If the patient is on a barbiturate, we do routinely decrease the dose when they go on the diet, since the diet seems to raise the barbiturate levels.

If the diet seems to be working, how long will my child be on the diet?
    If your child remains seizure-free for 2 years, most neurologist would recommend switching back to a normal diet. This "wean" off the ketogenic diet is analogous to weaning anti-seizure medication after a seizure-free interval. The success rates of the ability of children to remain seizure-free off the diet after a successful treatment (with the diet) is not well studied.

Can the ketogenic diet be used in adults?
    In general, the diet does not seem to be as effective in adults. Most studies have been restricted to children and a few adolescents. In these studies, people have pointed out that the diet does not seem to work as well in older children, and seems to work best in children aged 1-10 years. The reason is not clear, but some have felt that older adolescents and adults may not make or use ketones quite so well. There are currently no published adult studies.

Can the ketogenic diet be used for conditions other than epilepsy?
    So far, the only condition that the diet seems to be effective is epilepsy. It also seems to useful for treating seizures in a rare metabolic condition that begins in infancy (such as glucose transport protein defects). In this condition inadequate amounts of glucose (sugar) gets transported to the brain. There is very little information on the use of the diet in other conditions, such as multiple sclerosis, diabetes, obesity, etc.

Can the ketogenic diet be used for epilepsy in animals?
    The use of the ketogenic diet in animals is as yet undefined. Experimental models using rats have been developed, but the efficacy and side effects of the diet in other animals is not known. We would recommend that people consult with their Veterinarian about the ketogenic diet in their pets.

QUESTIONS FREQUENTLY ASKED BY MEDICAL PROVIDERS OF KETOGENIC DIET
    Is there a good method for collecting urine when female child wears diaper? How much urine is needed?
    For urine collection, I just put cotton balls in their diapers, for females it is easier because you can tuck the cotton balls in the labia, for males they always seem to "miss." All you need for a Dia-stick is one big drop to measure urine ketones.
    We want to use the ketogenic diet for a 2 year old. We are very concerned about fasting a child this young for 2 days. Have you done this?
    Its a great age to start the diet! In our experience we have had no problems at all. Out of our 15 patients on the diet the youngest was started at 11 months and the oldest at 12 years. The only thing we do is during the fast and build up to full strength kcal's is check blood sugars regularly and treat if they fall below 30 (with 10 gm's OJ) and depending on symptoms treat further. Once on FS kcals, blood sugars are not a problem (they range from 45-70 inmost kids).We use a One-Touch for checking at the bed side and send kids home with them for emergency use only, its much cheaper to give them a glucose meter than send them to an ER for a blood sugar check. Let us know if we can assist further,
    Can the diet be used for a child with a G-tube who is allergic to dairy products?
    Yes this diet is very possible for a GTT kiddo, despite the allergies. You CAN use the RCF, since it does not contain any dairy products. You should also use very good vitamin/mineral supplementation.
    What type of keto sticks are people using?
    We use the Dia-Sticks, they only measure urine CHO and ketones. So far insurance coverage has not been an issue. Patients check every void in-house and then ~2 time a day initially after D/C and then maybe once a week depending on seizure control. Our largest reading is 4+ on the dip stick for ketones. What we aim for is moderate to large ketones in the a.m. and large ketones in the p.m. Remember, that keto-stix only measure acetoacetate and not betahydroxybuterate, therefore measuring the efficacy of the diet by the urine ketone reading alone is not complete. Very large ketones all the time can be a sign of very strong acidosis, with the most common side effect and the worst to deal with in terms of eating and drinking a ketogenic diet is nausea and vomiting which generally makes everything worse.
    We keep getting patients who develop 5+ ketones without seizure control and we're not sure what the problem is although we suspect it's inadequate fluid. Any suggestions?
    Your limited success may only be because your patients have not been on the diet long enough. The literature includes remarkable response to the diet after 10 weeks on it (with no response prior to the 10 wk mark). Also, be sure the diet is being calculated correctly, that medication CHO content is being accounted for, that scales are accurate (we use a top loading digital gram scale, plastic model for <$100.00) and that the kitchen at home is keto-kid proofed--even lock up the dog food and garbage.kind of like working with Prader Willi kids sometimes. Also, if your kids are only using they exchanges for the ketogenic diet, that may not be accurate enough especially if a lot of cheese, sugar cured bacon, and regular mayonnaise. Have your RD go through the calculations with a fine tooth comb.
    What about nutritional supplements?
    We have found that the diet is very nutritionally inadequate, for vitamins and minerals and Polyvisol and Ca is not adequate supplementation...did you know that Rugby's Ca is CHO containing!!!? We use Bugs Bunny Complete alternatively with an adult complete MVI to get all the trace minerals. 500 mg per day of Ca does not meet the RDA for most kids (as recommended by "The Book") they need more. Another big source of CHO is in the constipation meds, so be careful with those also.
    What type of fluoride supplements are ok on the diet?
    The University of Wisconsin Drug Hot Line identified two fluoride supplements without carbohydrate: Fluoritab (drops) manufactured by Fluoritab Corp. and Karidium (drops) by Lorvic Corp. I am writing a protocol for hospital nurses who will care for 2 1/2 year old starting on diet with a fast and 1/3 progression of diet for the next 3 days. "The Book" states to give 5% dextrose IV if blood glucose goes below 25. How much dextrose is given? Is 100 cc reasonable with a recheck of blood glucose in 10 minutes? If the child will receive fluids via G- tube, is an IV line necessary only as a precaution for urgent hypoglycemia Rx? I'm not sure the MD will want this child on an IV.
    I've recently started working with a 13 month old on a ketogenic diet. What type of finger foods and toddler-friendly foods would fit in with the diet plan? A sample of one day's intake would also be helpful.
    Most toddlers on the ketogenic diet eat similar finger foods as other toddlers, except just smaller portions. It seems to have more to do with meal preparation. Thus, chicken strips or veggie pieces dipped in seasoned mayonnaise dip, chunks of banana or melon dipped in whipped cream, Ritz Bitz with butter and peanutbutter on top. I have found parents much better at coming up with suggestions than dietitians!
    What is the role of vitamins, particularly B vitamins with the ketogenic diet? Since B vitamins are part of carbohydrate metabolism is less needed on the diet? What vitamin supplement is recommended?
    We use poly-vi-sol in the recommended dose. Are others using this? more? less? I can not be sure that the needs for B vitamins are decreased with a low CHO diet, just as I can not be sure that they are increased with a high CHO diet. But the RDA's are a safe and adequate range and where we keep our kids at. Also, the B's are water soluble, thus no real concern with overdoses. We use a low CHO children's MVI and an adult complete MVI to meet needs (remember, Polyvisol is an infant vitamin supplement for a normal infant diet; there are no minerals in Polyvisol).
    What kind of Calcium supplements are being used? Is the dosage based upon elemental Calcium?
    We add 750-1200 mg Ca per day to meet Ca needs, and we use M.O.M. to help with constipation and meeting Mg needs. Specifically, we use Sugarfree Bugs Bunny Complete (100mg CHO), Nature Made Century Vite (<50 mg CHO), Phillips MOM, and a local drug store brand of Oyster Shell Calcium.
    Has anyone found a multivitamin that contains trace minerals such as zinc?,
    There are several retail children's mulitvites with minerals. We use Sugarfree Bugs Bunny Complete (100mg CHO per tab), also good is Sugarfree Flintstones with the same amount of CHO. We use a children's MVI + minerals in combination with an adult complete MVI + minerals (trace and ultra trace are included).
    What are some strategies to increase low morning ketone levels?,
    To help with low ketones in the a.m., my first question would be, how high do they get the rest of the day? If you have large/4+ ketones after lunch and moderate/3+ in the am that is probably fine. To get the mornings dips higher, try a later dinner or giving 4 meals/day instead of 3.
    We're interested in becoming a certified "ketocenter". Can we send our dietitians to John's Hopkins to be trained and then be listed as a keto center?
    To become a "ketocenter" you probably have to call Johns Hopkins University. At Lucile Salter Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford, we have been using the traditional ketodiet since January 1995 and have currently over 40 patients on the diet. We are not a certified Ketocenter and have no plans to become one.
    What type of resources will the dietitian need to carry out the diet?
    For your dietitian(s) they will likely need the following for training:
    1. Basic training in Pediatrics and time to do some research.
    2. 20 hours per week for a single admission
    3. 4-5 hours a week to manage multiple outpatients
    4. Access to the email system to call out for help.
    Can children develop kidney stones or other stones on the ketogenic diet?
    Yes, kidney stones have been reported on the diet. We screen for kidney stone formation by looking for RBC's by a UA. If one develops, slight liberalization of fluids seems to correct the problem. Gallstones leading to persistent vomitting has been reported rarely on the diet.
    If a keto kid's prescribed diet gives 75% RDA's for cals and 100% RDA's for protein, what guidelines should be used to determine how much supplementation of vitamins, minerals, and trace elements should be given?
    We keep the supplements of vitamins, minerals and trace elements at the Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA).
    How dry and acidotic should a keto kid become? How many wet diapers per day? What range of urine specific gravity is recommended? How low can serum CO2 get?
    Our kids can become quite acidotic at first, with serum CO2 occasionally <10. However, we are now fasting them minimally in the initiation phase of the diet and do not see those low numbers anylonger. While on the diet we are looking for ~3 to 4 wet diapers per day, specific gravity of ~1.025. However, there are individual variations depending on the level of ketosis.

Ketogenic Diet
    When medications fail to control a child's seizures, your doctor may recommend a special high fat, low carbohydrate, restricted calorie diet.
    It is called the ketogenic diet and is a recognized treatment that is offered at epilepsy centers and by many pediatric neurologists with an interest in treating epilepsy.
    The high fat ketogenic diet is designed to change the way a child gets energy from food. Instead of getting energy from glucose (carbohydrate), the diet forces the body to burn fat.
    Burning fat produces chemicals called ketones, the same chemicals that are produced during periods of starvation, when the body also burns fat for energy.
    The diet consists of three or four times as much fat as carbohydrate and protein combined. Some of the extra fat is given in the form of cream or butter. Calories are strictly limited, and parents have to be very careful not to allow the child to eat anything - even cookie crumbs - that isn't on the diet or hasn't been pre-measured and pre-weighed within the formula.
    The diet is usually begun in a hospital setting, with a period in which food is withheld. Food is then gradually reintroduced in the ratios required by the diet.
    The diet's success depends on a team effort - the family, the physician, the dietitian, the nurse education team, and, if the child is old enough, the child himself - all working together to make sure the diet is followed and any side effects are monitored.
    Some children find it hard to tolerate, but many do well. Recent research reports that of every three children who begin the diet, one will achieve seizure freedom, or close to it, one will have fewer seizures than before, and one will not benefit from the diet.
    Some children with excellent results may be able to slowly discontinue medication; however, other children will continue to need some medication in addition to the diet.
    WARNING: The ketogenic diet is serious medicine .It is not a do-it-yourself diet. It could have serious effects if not monitored by a physician and dietician.

Side Effects
    The diet has its side effects, Dr. Elizabeth Thiele noted, including: elevated fat in the blood; constipation; vitamin deficiencies (which are supplemented by extra vitamins); kidney stones; acidosis during illness (which may make a sick child sicker), and, if the diet is not done correctly, slower growth rates.
    All these possibilities must be carefully monitored by the treatment team.
    "All treatments for epilepsy can have toxic effects," said Dr. Thiele. "The ketogenic diet can have toxic effects. You can end up in intensive care on the ketogenic diet."

Research Continues
    "Every year at the epilepsy meeting [the American Epilepsy Society meeting] there's more on the ketogenic diet. More and more experts are interested in it and how it works," Dr. Thiele said.
    Research on the diet is going forward in several centers. Studies so far indicate that:
    The diet produces success rates similar to use of medication, with one-third of the children using it becoming seizure free or close to it, one-third having their seizures reduced, and one-third not responding.
    It appears to be equally effective for every seizure type, though drop attacks (atonic seizures) may be the most rapid responders. It also helps children with Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and shows promise in babies with infantile spasms.
    The effective agent in the diet may be chemicals in the ketone bodies themselves, specifically betahydroxybutyrate (BHB). 3
    "First Do No Harm" a 1997 television movie, raised nationwide awareness of the ketogenic diet. It starred Meryl Streep as a determined mother who challenges medical experts on the treatment of her child with severe epilepsy. The film was directed by Jim Abrahams (Airplane!; Police Squad!) whose son Charlie also has severe epilepsy and found relief from the ketogenic diet.Photo: ABC-TV ?
    Notes and Parent Tips:
    Parent Tips for Success:
    Don't be too worried about the initial fasting process when starting the diet; most children handle it surprisingly well because of the promise of fewer seizures.
    Getting into a routine when fixing meals should make things easier.
    Involve your child in measuring his food by guiding him while he places food on the gram scale.
    Your child may feel hungry (because the diet restricts calories) and may try to sneak food from the refrigerator, and even from the pet's dish. Using water with saccharine, and splitting meals in half may help fight hunger pains.
    Use a salad plate to present each meal, because the smaller plate makes it look as if the child is getting more food.
    If your child loves dessert, always keep a stock of homemade cream Popsicles in the freezer. These are then calculated into meal plans.
    Keep a few pre-prepared meals in small plastic containers in the fridge. Label them carefully for your older child's use if you are not home or your child goes to a friend's house.
    Steam vegetables for best nutritional value.
    Be creative with meal choices!
    Cut foods into interesting shapes to make them more appealing.
    Ask your child about her favorite keto food and serve it as a treat.
    Praise your child often for being so cooperative and sticking with the diet.
    Because liquids are also restricted by the diet, check with your doctor about how to handle days when it's hot and your child perspires more than usual.

Old 07-22-2003, 11:40 PM   #8
    Copperredd

Copperredd HB User
    Did you happen to watch Dateline tonite? They had a special on that very issue. Very interesting. One Dr. said that most Dr.'s do not push this diet, because it doen't come from a drug company. But he said that it had a 50-70 percent sucess rate. The story that aired showed a very young child. You should try to look up dateline and see if you can get a copy of tonights program. Good luck

Old 07-23-2003, 02:23 AM   #9
    Grumps

Grumps HB User
    I have a copy of a book on the Ketogenic diet up for grabs if anyone wants it shout and I will post it....

Old 07-23-2003, 12:11 PM   #10
    dsahary

dsahary HB User
    Talking

Thanks Copperredd, for reply i have never heard of dateline tonight, i'm in the uk and i dontt think it is broadcast over here, but i will have a search on the net to see if i can find something on it.......tracy

Old 07-23-2003, 12:17 PM   #11
    dsahary

dsahary HB User
    Talking

Hello Grumps, thanks for posting, what is the name of the book, and where can i get a copy? Have you used the diet???????.......tracy

Old 07-24-2003, 04:07 AM   #12
    Grumps

Grumps HB User
    Tracy honey you can have my copy - yes I did try it but it is more successful for children not been tried much on adults -

Hard to follow but let me know your address and you are welcome to my copy

Old 07-24-2003, 09:31 AM   #13
    Porkette
    Inactive

Porkette HB User
    Hi,
    Here's the info. from DATELINE telling all about the ketogenic diet.

[url="http://www.msnbc.news/900136.asp"]http://www.msnbc.news/900136.asp[/url]

May God Bless You!

Sue

Old 07-24-2003, 10:43 AM   #14
    LisaG890
    Veteran

LisaG890 HB User
    Cool

Hi All,

Only have a couple of seconds here, before it's back to the salt mines

We had a friend call and tell us to watch the Dateline program the other night. I have to be honost with you all, I spent the better part of yesterday in tears, had to get up and leave the building a couple of times! This program really got to me. Are we making the right choices for Jake by trying meds first - etc?

Anyway I found a link to the Stanford University Neuro department and they had a wonderful area for the diet (see below).

From everything Daddy and I have read, we are not sure that Jake would be the ideal candidate for the diet because of the type of E he has. We will wait and see what the Lamictol does for him. But I did order a couple books. I'll let you know how they are, should get them 8/1.

Will post more later.

Hugs to all.
    [url="http://www.stanford.***/group/ketodiet/whatnew.shtml"]http://www.stanford.***/group/ketodiet/whatnew.shtml[/url]

Lisa and Jake

Old 07-24-2003, 12:28 PM   #15
    mommajessibelle
    Veteran
    (female)

mommajessibelle HB User
    i was wondering is this something that a 22 year old could do? i have grand mal seizures and have been on every med with no success i am currently unmedicated and im looking for an alternitive my dr has kinda givin up on me cause she doesnt know what to do after reading these posts i wonder if maybe it is something that could help me if any one has any advice i would love to hear it tia jessie

------------------
    mother of 3
    ages 4,3,and 1
    my pride and joy

diagnosed with epilepsy jan. of 97

live life to its fullest you never know when it may be to late to do all the things you would have done tomorrow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    If GOD brings you to it... He WILL bring you through it.

mother of 3
    Melissa 9, Brandon 8, and MaeLynn 6

Closed Thread