It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Mild epilepsy or panic attack

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
    Marie9927
    (female)

Marie9927 HB User
    Mild epilepsy or panic attack

I am a 68 year old retired shopworker, happily married and have no worries and apart from the following complaint, I am very fit and healthy. BP and sugar levels are normal.

However, for many years now I have suffered from occasional but very sudden onset attacks of feeling as though I am about to faint or collapse, although I never do. I have no warning they are about to happen and I can be anywhere feeling absolutely fine - at home, out walking, shopping or talking to someone when all of a sudden I feel as though everything stops inside me and that I am floating away, similar I suppose to how it must feel to faint but I never do. My eyesight is affected but I am aware of everything going on around me except I feel just awful and if possible it helps to sit down. My head gets hot and then goes clammy and the attacks can last from 30 seconds to 3/4 minutes. When the feeling passes, it leaves me with a pain down each side of my temple and the feeling that something is pressing on my head and I feel tired for one or two hours afterwards, otherwise I carry on as normal. I never feel sick or have any palptations or stomache aches as the feelings seem to be restricted to my head.

I have seen my GP several times over the years and although I have had an ECG, blood and sugar level tests, nothing unusual can be found and all I am told is to come back if they get any worse ! Although I have learned to live with the attacks, they are becoming more frequent and is the reason I am writing to this forum, in the hope that somone can explain whats happening or that someone experiences the same.

As you can see from the Title I am not sure whether this comes under the heading of Mild epilepsy or Panic attacks but I am hoping someone might come up with a suggestions that perhaps I could take to my GP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2007, 05:00 AM   #2
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
    Re: Mild epilepsy or panic attack

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you but I have symptoms similar to what you describe. I will be feeling ok & suddenly I feel like I am going to lose consciousness. So far I haven't, but I sometimes feel nauseous & have a headache after. It usually takes me a few hours to recover. Maybe from the stress of the attack. I thought mine was either caued from Meniere's disease or migraines. Do you have inner ear problems? Tinnitus? Fullness in ears? I have had seizures but this seems different. Have you had an MRI?
    Good luck!

Old 03-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #3
    Marie9927
    (female)

Marie9927 HB User

Many thanks for replying. The only after affects I seem to get are :- feeling a bit weak and tired with a slight headache around the temples but after an hour or so, I am back to normal. During the attack however, I feel absolutely awful. I do not feel nauseous in any way nor do I suffer with tinnitus or inner ear problems and it is so frustrating when the medical profession seems unable to tell me what causes it. However, I am seeing my GP again next week and I will suggest having an MRI scan and if anything comes of it, I will post this forum again. In the meantime, I am hoping someone reading this will know the answer. Once again many thanks.

PS The only medication I take is Simvastatin for chlorestorel and Didronel for calcium intake but as I have had these attacks years before I started taking these, I have discounted them as a possible cause.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
    nan2
    (female)

nan2 HB User

Marie:

My daughter thought she was suffering from panic attacks for a couple of years and was put on medication for anxiety. What she had seems to be a lot like yours. She would get really flushed and get a nervous feeling out of the blue. She did not remember anything else, but finally a co-worker observed what she thought was a seizure. To make a long story short, after testing it was revealed that seizures she had experienced as a very young child had returned. She was diagnosed with partial and complex partial seizures. Her GP was unable to diagnose this ; they many times confuse this with anxiety attacks or a panic disorder. She, like you, did not experience panic in any other situation. Maybe your GP will refer you to a neurologist who will schedule the necessary tests to see if this is what is going on with you or not. Don't give up until you get an answer.

The fact that these episodes are getting more frequent could also point to some type of seizures disorder as they can escalate if untreated. I really don't want to scare you, but you may not be as aware as you think you are during the episode. My daughter would argue with anyone who said she had just had a seizure because all she could remember was the feelings leading up to and after the seizures. She also described a strange rising feeling in her abdomen before the episodes. The good news is....she is doing great now. Nan

Last edited by nan2; 03-31-2007 at 06:26 AM.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
    Marie9927
    (female)

Marie9927 HB User

Many thanks all of you for taking the trouble to reply. I saw my GP today and she has arranged for me to have an ECG and if that proves normal she will arrange for me to see a neurologist. I think at long last they are taking me seriously !

Old 04-04-2007, 07:10 AM   #6
    nan2
    (female)

nan2 HB User

Marie:

Fantastic news!!! You deserve to be taken seriously. You seem to be a very calm and sensible person with an understanding of your own feelings. Please keep us informed. Nan

Closed Thread