It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• I think Keppra has stolen my husband and ruined my 19 year marriage

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 PM   #16
    vwbug
    (female)

vwbug HB User
    Re: I think Keppra has stolen my husband and ruined my 19 year marriage

Annette,
    I am wondering about something you said. If you don't want to say I understand, but you wrote, "your husband was not caring for anything you had" what did you mean?
    I think my husband is acting paranoid. He is locking doors, carrying around his house keys, saying things like "I am trying to take everything from him" ETC. Earlier this week he started video taping all of the contents of the closets, and drawers.
    He does not drive, so he walks to the bus stop. This morning, I watched him walk past the bus stop and hide behind the electrical box on the corner. Since he won't let me talk to him, I cannot even ask him what he was doing. I think that this is abnormal behavior, but when he talks to the doctor, he is so well spoken that he makes it sound like I am over-reacting and making this stuff up. Any thoughts?
    Thanks for giving me a place to ask these questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 08:47 PM   #17
    agarcia1
    (female)

agarcia1 HB User

VWbug,
    Of course, I don't mind sharing. Thats what we're here for. Your husband sounds like my husband was acting. He was always very paranoid saying that I was messing everything up. Actually he would blame anyone who was trying to help. If you didn't tell him anything, he was fine with you. I found out a lot of things when I went with him to the psychiatrist. He said that he would see things. Once he even said that he was looking at his foot, and then all of a sudden it wasn't there. He wouldn't care about anything he did, no matter how wrong it was. He would say that he did it for a reason. We were to the point that we just didnt want to be around him. When my husband was acting really paranoid, he was already having a couple hallucinations. He would say things that made no sense at all. They may say or do something and not recall it the next day. In fact, now that my husband is getting better almost to 100 %, he doesn't remember a lot of what happened during that year. He doesn't even remember our nephew breaking his wrists after falling from a tree. I'm glad that he doesn't. It for the best. I hope I answered your questions. By the way, does it seem as if your husband says things that dont make any sense and are so far fetched? Also, do you think that he could harm himself or anyone else.

Annette

Old 06-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #18
    vwbug
    (female)

vwbug HB User

Annette,
    Thanks for responding so quickly. My husband says things that do not make sense at all. But, the problem with this is that he is VERY smart and well read, so he explains away his actions in such a way that I almost think he is coherent, then he does something so totally not normal. I don't really know anymore what is real, and what is crazy. Like he sent me a text message 3 weeks ago telling me he loved me,(the first time in 2 months he had said that) sounds normal. Two weeks later he tells me he never loved me and that I have made his life miserable, and he would rather pay a lawyer to get me out of the house and his life, then to live with me any longer?? It is just the most unexplainable situation.
    I was concerned about my safety to the point that I had a trusted friend remove the guns from the house. I talked to his neurologist and he said that if I thought that my husband would hurt himself, he could be committed against his will, but then my husband comes around and just acts so normal. I would hate to have him hospitalized and jeopardize his job etc. if he really does just want to be single again, but then I hate to just sit by and watch him self destruct. This is just so hard, I am usually in control of my life, and know what is best for my family but with this, I am just so lost and confused. Sorry if this is so long. Thanks for listening.
    VWBUG

Old 06-16-2007, 09:26 PM   #19
    agarcia1
    (female)

agarcia1 HB User

VWBug,
    Sorry for taking long to respond. Well it sounds like your husband is acting as my husband was. One minute things were fine and then all of a sudden he didnt want anything to do with me. It was until I told him that I couldn't take it anymore that he just started telling me what he was going through (not everything though). He later told me that he didn't want to worry me. As far as jeopardizing his job, you really have to think what is really most important. If you honestly think that he can harm himself or anyone else, I'd consider at least going to talk to someone. My husband wasn't willing to go and it got to the point where he was too violent. He started destructing the house. It was then that we had no choice. Believe me, you don't want to wait until it gets too bad. It's really up to you on what you decide. I would recommend speaking with someone. Just because he's the one thats changing, I know that it is affecting you. Have you confided in any of your family or friends. It really helps if you have the support of others. In my case, it was my sister in law. My in-laws were totally against me having him commited, but now see that it was what had to been done to have him back. By the way, has the lamictal been working?
    Annette

Old 06-17-2007, 12:00 AM   #20
    molipo
    (female)

molipo HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vwbug View Post
    Annette,
    I think my husband is acting paranoid. He is locking doors, carrying around his house keys, saying things like "I am trying to take everything from him" ETC. Earlier this week he started video taping all of the contents of the closets, and drawers.
    He does not drive, so he walks to the bus stop. This morning, I watched him walk past the bus stop and hide behind the electrical box on the corner. Since he won't let me talk to him, I cannot even ask him what he was doing. I think that this is abnormal behavior, but when he talks to the doctor, he is so well spoken that he makes it sound like I am over-reacting and making this stuff up. Any thoughts?
    Thanks for giving me a place to ask these questions.
    Sorry that I'm coming from this at the standpoint of a young child with epilepsy rather than a spouse having epilepsy, but my child was just recently placed on Keppra and I have been doing lots of reading on it and stories from people. From what I've read on other sites, I have a very strong feeling the Keppra is the main problem.

I would suggest you notify your husband's neurologist as soon as possible and talk to the doctor in confidence to let him know how your husband is acting and all. The doctor probably has no clue how bad things really are. He might just end up trying to pull your husband off the Keppra a little quicker. I wouldn't necessarily let the doctor know about your husband talking about divorce, but just stick to the behavioral facts---such as your husband not letting you talk to him, his paranoia, stories like the bus stop incident, etc

Old 06-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #21
    vwbug
    (female)

vwbug HB User

Annette,
    I don't think the lamictal is helping, I just tried to sit at the table with my husband to read the paper, and he got up and left. No words, just left. He hasn't said a word to me now in 10 days.
    Molipo,
    I will take your advice and contact his doctor. I think he should know what is going on.
    Thank you for your help ladies.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #22
    molipo
    (female)

molipo HB User

vwbug,
    I wish you the best of luck, and I hope your husband can get back to his normal self and your marriage can be saved. As a parent of a nonverbal child, my child's neurologist depends upon me reporting changes and negative side effects of medications. I really see this as you reporting to your husband's doctor no different if your husband isn't going to report all the negative changes (maybe he just doesn't realize them all....but at least he did report to the doctor about wanting to punch you.) I definitely feel the doctor needs to be enlightened about more of the issues. I only mentioned not talking about your husband wanting a divorce because that distracts away from the behavioral change due to medication and makes it sound more like marital problems (even though the behavioral change of your husband is contributing to the marital issues)---if that makes sense. It's probably best just to stick to the negative behavioral changes the medication is causing and how something needs to be done about it NOW.

Mood or mental changes, angry outburst, paranoia, etc are all less common side effects to Keppra that need to be reported immediately

You are a wonderful woman standing by your man through all of this I'm glad you can see that it is the medication most likely causing all of the trouble. I'll say a prayer for both you and your husband to get through all of this.

Please let us know how things go. I only happen to come across your post while searching out the effects of Keppra since my child has just recently been placed on it. My child has taken Lamictal for almost 4 years now, but the seizures have just kind of went wacky on her again and we are at the upper limit of Lamictal for her.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-18-2007 at 06:03 AM. Reason: Please do not post websites except as described in the posting policy section titled "How to share information".

Old 06-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #23
    vwbug
    (female)

vwbug HB User

Molipo,
    I appreciate your insight. I know you must have a full day taking care of your daughter, and I thank you for taking the time to post.
    I checked out the link you sent me. It is the first time I have seen this list of side effects, and it contains everything I have been concerned about. Especially the paranoia. I thought I had read most everything I could get my hands on, but I missed that site. I agree that when I talk to the doctor, he might consider some of our problems something other than side effects of the meds. Sometimes I wonder that same thing. I just keep thinking how in 6 months everything went from really great to really terrible. This is the 6 months he has been on the Keppra. The last thing that his neurologist said before I left his office the last time was " I have saved a number of marriages by taking my patients off of Keppra" So apparently the Doctor is aware how bad this can be. I just wonder how many marriages were ruined beyond saving due to this medication.
    I cannot imagine having a child that is effected by this disease, turn into someone else because of this medication. It is much harder, I think, if it was a child. As a parent you are responsible for all of their actions. I cannot imagine the amount of time and energy it takes to control their symptoms.
    Thank you again for your post.
    VWBUG

Old 06-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #24
    cee3po
    (female)

cee3po HB User

Are these actions really a result of taking Keppra? My husband takes it, too, but hasn't changed at all, except for the better as far as having seizures goes. Have you consulted his neurologist about the drug's possible side effects? I'd really like to know if this is something I need to watch out for! My husband is so sweet, I'd be really depressed if he changed.

Old 06-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #25
    vwbug
    (female)

vwbug HB User

cee3po
    How long has your husband been taking Keppra? I did not start seeing changes until after about 3-4 months. Little things came up, but the paranoia took about 4 months to start getting bad. He also quit taking the Depakote which may add to the side effects, since Depakote is a mood stabilizer.

The Following User Says Thank You to vwbug For This Useful Post:
    designersb (09-24-2012)
    Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 AM   #26
    cher1052
    Veteran
    (female)

cher1052 HB User

I've been taking Keppra for about 3.5 years and have not had these side effects-I also take TegretolXR. I would talk with the dr and tall him all that is happening.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:35 PM   #27
    vwbug
    (female)

vwbug HB User

I would like to thank everyone for your advice. I wrote my husbands neurologist a letter listing all of the changes in his personality. I dropped the letter off at 1 PM today, the doctor called my cell at 2. I thought that was pretty quick. Anyway, he said that everything I was seeing my husband go through probably was caused by the Keppra. He said to hang in there as long as I could, because once my Husband was up on the lamictal, he would remove the Keppra in about a 2 week period. He said that the side effects subside very quickly after getting off the meds. My warning is anyone just starting on this medication PLEASE watch for any signs of mood changes.. They can be devastating to a relationship!

Old 06-21-2007, 11:03 PM   #28
    Beth800
    (female)

Beth800 HB User

vwBug,

I am being put on lamictal too now. I have been titrating up on keppra and down on dilantin. I had 3 seizures in a row after the last dose of dilantin. I had such a hard time recovering from it.

I wanted you to know that I have been so depressed on keppra. I've read all your concerns and really think keppra is a problem for both your husband and me. I'm glad the doctor thinks the side-effects will subside quickly. I just can't stop crying.

Please keep in contact. I feel like I'm going on lamictal at the same time your husband is as well as leaving keppra.

Take care,

Beth

Old 06-22-2007, 07:59 AM   #29
    vwbug
    (female)

vwbug HB User

Beth800,
    Are you also going to stop taking the Keppra after you are on the recommended dosage of Lamictil?
    I can tell you that Keppra can (or at least everyone thinks it is the Keppra) make people do some very strange things. I have just learned that my husband is planning on getting an order of protection against me, he says I am trying to poison him ?? All while he is asking me to take him back and forth to work, etc.. He even asked me to cut his hair last night. I think it is truly unbelievable if on one hand I am, trying to poison his food, and on the other hand, can get out the sharp scissors and clippers and cut his hair. I am really having trouble coping with the daily surprises of "what is he going to accuse me of next" when all the while I am spending my days taking care of him.
    Please stay in close contact with your neurologist about your depression. It can quickly turn into self harm, and you just can't let that happen. Please take care of yourself. VWBug

Old 06-22-2007, 01:42 PM   #30
    ray68
    (female)

ray68 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vwbug View Post
    I would like to thank everyone for your advice. I wrote my husbands neurologist a letter listing all of the changes in his personality. I dropped the letter off at 1 PM today, the doctor called my cell at 2. I thought that was pretty quick. Anyway, he said that everything I was seeing my husband go through probably was caused by the Keppra. He said to hang in there as long as I could, because once my Husband was up on the lamictal, he would remove the Keppra in about a 2 week period. He said that the side effects subside very quickly after getting off the meds. My warning is anyone just starting on this medication PLEASE watch for any signs of mood changes.. They can be devastating to a relationship!
    My son has had terrible side effects (personality changes such as irritibility, agression) on both Keppra and now Lamictal, and thoughts of suicide with Lamictal, so please be careful! He tried to walk in front of a car the other day!

Closed Thread