It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Difference Between Epilepsy and "seizure disorder"?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2007, 08:27 AM   #1
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User
    Question Difference Between Epilepsy and "seizure disorder"?

What is the difference between Epilepsy and a seizure disorder? For all this time, I've thought I have Epilepsy, because for about 6 years, I had simple partial seizures, then I had a grand mal 6.5 years ago, and since then I've been on meds, but have breakthrough simple partial seizures that are related to my menstral cycle... wouldn't that be considered "Epilepsy"?
    Well, the other day at my neuro's office, I caught a glimpse of my chart, and it said, "seizure disorder".... what's the difference??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #2
    vwbug
    (female)

vwbug HB User
    Re: Difference Between Epilepsy and "seizure disorder"?

I don't know if this helps explain your situation, but my husband has a seizure disorder brought on by spinal meningitis. The high fevers and subsequent brain damage caused him to have seizures. I hope this helps.
    VWBUG

Old 06-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
    Travis from MN
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

There are "non epileptic seizures" commonly a response to some disturbance external to the central nervous system (hypoxia, toxins, fever). As well as non-epileptic stress related seizures.

This is compared to the seizures that occur from a distinct region of the brain in patients cases, or caused by a general dysfunction of the biomedchemical mechanisms.

Example, : diabetics can have seizures due to the blood glucose levels if not maintained properly; but they do not suffer from Epilepsy.

--Travis

Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 PM   #4
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Ok, yes, I thought "seizure disorder" was usually when somone had seizuyres that were caused by a head injury, for example.
    So do you think my neuro calls it a "seizure disorder" because my seizures are caused by hormone fluctuations?

Thanks, everyone.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:08 AM   #5
    Travis from MN
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Travis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB UserTravis from MN HB User

It (seizures) can also be used as a benign term for either.

If thats how yours have been *confirmed* to be caused (by testing), then most likely that is why the doc uses that term. Also depends on their (the Dr's) schooling for the choice in words used.

--Travis

Old 06-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #6
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

Ok, thanks, Travis.
    It's never actually been proven by testing why I have seizures, but I know from my own observation that my seizures are caused by my menstral cycle, and my doctor used to ignore me every time I said so, until I asked if I could try going on the contraceptive pill to see if it makes any improvement, and he agreed that I could try it.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:43 AM   #7
    neurowreck
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neurowreck HB User

It depends a lot on the doc- some docs use one term more than the other- except for other sources of seizures (that aren't generally repetitive or originate in the brain- like Travis said), the terms are pretty much interchangable.....I've got to admit, that even after more than 20 years with diagnosed seizure disorder/epilepsy (from medical testing & 24 hour EEG), I prefer seizure disorder....epilepsy has negative meanings from back in the dark ages, and I haven't caught up with the times, even though I've seen and taken care of many people with seizures/epilepsy.... one of my med alert tags says seizures....had to get 2 tags on the necklace to cover the immediate threats in an emergency.

Hope this helps.

Closed Thread