It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Epilepsy Message Board

  • am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

  • Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Old 07-15-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    vickie45's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: logansport ,indiana usa
    Posts: 880
    vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Red face am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    hi all,just need some advice here as a small child around 4 to about 10 id just faint and yes i was passedout uncousios if thats how you spell it .ok im now 45 and in jan 06 i had my left ovary removed i then ended up with severe panic ok started on xanax ok they helped alot i was driving cleaning everything then around may my thyrold went out of whack i think im not sure alls i know is i couldnt breath nor talk allmost passedout cried nonstop for over a hr .ok then come sept 06 i started having fainting spells then in dec06 i fainted 3 times then they just got worse .what i do now is i get really bad headaches and dizziness no worning i just fall then i lay there like im asleep like they lasts about 10 mins sometimes more and this has been happening more and more and in another post i saw where a lady said something about dreams well my dreams i have is like im out of body im in bed but i see myself up what does this mean a panic wouldnt do this would it and i read where it says if you had seizures as a child you can get them in aldulthood .i cant go anyplace or i fall with no worning and no reason i just fall and they are getting worse and worse today i got sweaty and felt sick to my stomach and i just didnt know what was happening to me and also when i fall my eyes flicker open and shut and i also see spots in front of my eyes but im also hypo thyrold so can anyone out there tell me what this is or can you tell me what a seizure is i read where this man had drop seizures where he'd just fall to the ground for no reason at all and thats what i do i cant see them coming im trying to figure out if this is panic or a seizure and its scarring me to dealth it kind of dont feel like panic but i dont really know .and when i go to drs i have to be in a wheelchair or i fall and they say i have agraphobia well if thats so why do i fall in my own home then and i dont think its panic but i could be wrong and i havent had a period since dec 06 thats 6 mos but would meno do this to a woman i only had 1 ovary removed and after my surgery i went into sudden meno and this dont feel nothing like that also at age 2 i bit into a electrical cord and it threw me across the room and i hit the wall hard and was unconius and rushed to the hospital the cord was still stuck to my lips im starting to get scared im having a 48 hr holter put on tomorrow but that wont tell if its panic or a seizure will it ? and how does one find out if they have serizures ??? what kind of dr would i see?
    any advice would help me so anyone out there please please reply im terrifed ....i faint anywhere from 3-4 times per week and on somedays i have like 2 a day and when this happens my xanax dont even help ........
    vickie

    Last edited by vickie45; 07-15-2007 at 07:26 PM.

     
    Sponsors Lightbulb
       
    Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
    neurowreck
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    neurowreck's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: north of somewhere nice
    Posts: 1,477
    neurowreck HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    With sudden onset of unconscious episodes in adults, they usually check for heart rhythym abnormalities first, then to neurological (seizure) problems. See what the Holter says. I've got seizures (have had for decades), and an autonomic nervous system disorder (dysautonomia) that causes changes in how my brain tells my heart and blood pressure to work (not good), and I'll pass out if I don't get flat when I first start feeling weird. I thought I was going nuts at first, and I've seen many medical problems with my job (am now on disability), but found it was a bona fide disorder, apart from the seizures, although sometimes one leads to the other- only difference is how I feel right before = if I feel the aura or the heart beat abnormality... if the Holter is ok, you'll probably be sent for more tests- the important thing is to get to the bottom of it, for peace of mind, and safety.

     
    Old 07-16-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
    chris07
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    chris07's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: oldham
    Posts: 3
    chris07 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
    hi all,just need some advice here as a small child around 4 to about 10 id just faint and yes i was passedout uncousios if thats how you spell it .ok im now 45 and in jan 06 i had my left ovary removed i then ended up with severe panic ok started on xanax ok they helped alot i was driving cleaning everything then around may my thyrold went out of whack i think im not sure alls i know is i couldnt breath nor talk allmost passedout cried nonstop for over a hr .ok then come sept 06 i started having fainting spells then in dec06 i fainted 3 times then they just got worse .what i do now is i get really bad headaches and dizziness no worning i just fall then i lay there like im asleep like they lasts about 10 mins sometimes more and this has been happening more and more and in another post i saw where a lady said something about dreams well my dreams i have is like im out of body im in bed but i see myself up what does this mean a panic wouldnt do this would it and i read where it says if you had seizures as a child you can get them in aldulthood .i cant go anyplace or i fall with no worning and no reason i just fall and they are getting worse and worse today i got sweaty and felt sick to my stomach and i just didnt know what was happening to me and also when i fall my eyes flicker open and shut and i also see spots in front of my eyes but im also hypo thyrold so can anyone out there tell me what this is or can you tell me what a seizure is i read where this man had drop seizures where he'd just fall to the ground for no reason at all and thats what i do i cant see them coming im trying to figure out if this is panic or a seizure and its scarring me to dealth it kind of dont feel like panic but i dont really know .and when i go to drs i have to be in a wheelchair or i fall and they say i have agraphobia well if thats so why do i fall in my own home then and i dont think its panic but i could be wrong and i havent had a period since dec 06 thats 6 mos but would meno do this to a woman i only had 1 ovary removed and after my surgery i went into sudden meno and this dont feel nothing like that also at age 2 i bit into a electrical cord and it threw me across the room and i hit the wall hard and was unconius and rushed to the hospital the cord was still stuck to my lips im starting to get scared im having a 48 hr holter put on tomorrow but that wont tell if its panic or a seizure will it ? and how does one find out if they have serizures ??? what kind of dr would i see?
    any advice would help me so anyone out there please please reply im terrifed ....i faint anywhere from 3-4 times per week and on somedays i have like 2 a day and when this happens my xanax dont even help ........
    vickie

    Last edited by chris07; 07-16-2007 at 09:54 AM. Reason: i did not add this was trying to reply to it sorry

     
    Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
    chris07
    Newbie
    (male)
     
    chris07's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2007
    Location: oldham
    Posts: 3
    chris07 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    hi i am 28 isuffer from epilepsy i think it was brought on by a severe bang to the head about 7 years ago i dont get many sezures but can tell when they are coming on i get dizzy spells ,hot or and cold flushes and very disorrentated..it can be brought on by pain or shock to the system eg i had one straight after leaving dentists with locol anisthetic also high levels of alchohol can stop treatments working and trigger sezures.....i had to go to see a nuroligist and have tests done to check brainwave activity as this seems to cause fits described to me by a doctor as misfiring brainwave activity...this is just my symptoms they can vary a lot as there is different types of epilepsy....

     
    Old 07-17-2007, 05:47 AM   #5
    Sherri5186
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Sherri5186's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 425
    Sherri5186 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    Hi Vickie45,

    I too started having seizures at 4 years old,I am now 44.
    My seizures have got worse for the last 6 years.I too have
    fainting spells,but,my doctor told me that they are called
    "drop attack" seizures.I did do some research on them and it
    does sound like what is going on.You might want to talk to your
    Dr. about these.Take care.

     
    Old 07-17-2007, 06:59 AM   #6
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    vickie45's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: logansport ,indiana usa
    Posts: 880
    vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    yes i have talked to my dr and hes trying to figure it out i went to a psychiatrist yesterday and they told me my fainting does not sound like panic said they never heard of anyone who fainted from them said it sounded more like seizures then panic so im wearing a 48 hr holter then he will run more tests on me plus another symton im having is the BAD BAD headaches a tyleno dont even help its right in the back of my head and when i start to faint i feel really really dizzy and i get the headache and nothing can stop me down i go so im doing whatever it takes to find out about this cause no way i can i live with this fainting and its worse then its ever been and i hate it .and thanks for your reply that makes me feel as though im closer to finding out whats going on here.
    cause i have panic but the fainting didnt seem like a panic to me i just knew it was something else and i have talked to several people about panic and if they ever fainted and all said NO ,
    vickie

     
    Old 07-17-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    vickie45's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: logansport ,indiana usa
    Posts: 880
    vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neurowreck View Post
    With sudden onset of unconscious episodes in adults, they usually check for heart rhythym abnormalities first, then to neurological (seizure) problems. See what the Holter says. I've got seizures (have had for decades), and an autonomic nervous system disorder (dysautonomia) that causes changes in how my brain tells my heart and blood pressure to work (not good), and I'll pass out if I don't get flat when I first start feeling weird. I thought I was going nuts at first, and I've seen many medical problems with my job (am now on disability), but found it was a bona fide disorder, apart from the seizures, although sometimes one leads to the other- only difference is how I feel right before = if I feel the aura or the heart beat abnormality... if the Holter is ok, you'll probably be sent for more tests- the important thing is to get to the bottom of it, for peace of mind, and safety.
    neurowreck
    what type of symtons did you have just before passing out ? whats happeming to me right now is i have a VERY BAD HEADACHE THAT WONT GO AWAY and its my whole head not just in certain areas and just before i fall i get real dizzy and my mind sort of goes blank then i fall and i cant more nor talk my eyes flicker open and shur i can hear my husband but cant respond and its getting worse i did go to the mental place and they said it sounds more like seizures then panic ,so can a seizure come out after all this time i was told yes im thinking i may have the drop seizures i did this very same thing as a child i get the holter off tomorrow then to a nerology which will most likely do a catscan and mri and maybe a brain wave i take 2 es tylenol and they dont even help my head fills like its going to bust it hurts so bad the pain stays never goes away im weak on my feet too and its just going to take time to figure out if this is seizures if not then i pray they really find out whats causeing my fainting i faint ALOT went to the hospital to get holter put on and i fainted there before i even had a chance to get a wheelchair .
    i do have a good dr so im calling him tomorrow about my headaches and dizziness iam hypo but even in jan 07 when i first founf out and my tsh was 8.45 i didnt have the headaches or dizziness i was fainting then but not as much and even when my tsh was within the normal range i was still fainting .so i will let you know what i find out could you tell me some of the symtons of seizures if you dont mind.
    vickie

     
    Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #8
    Sherri5186
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Sherri5186's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 425
    Sherri5186 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    Vickie,

    Have they gave you an EEG yet? The reason I ask is that whenever
    I have had a MRI nothing seems to show up,it is the EEG test that
    has come back abnormal showing problems in my temporal lobe and
    central.I would have thought if it appears on an EEG,it would definitely
    show on a MRI.Everyone is different though.

    Anyone else have test results like mine?

    Take care.Sherri

     
    Old 07-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    SentenceDoing's Avatar
     
    Join Date: May 2006
    Posts: 733
    SentenceDoing HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sherri5186 View Post
    Vickie,

    Have they gave you an EEG yet? The reason I ask is that whenever
    I have had a MRI nothing seems to show up,it is the EEG test that
    has come back abnormal showing problems in my temporal lobe and
    central.I would have thought if it appears on an EEG,it would definitely
    show on a MRI.Everyone is different though.

    Anyone else have test results like mine?

    Take care.Sherri
    If there's nothing physically wrong with your brain (like a tumor, or an injury, or something like that), nothing will show on the MRI. My results are the same as yours- my MRI's are always normal (thank goodness), but my EEG's always show abnormal brain activity.

     
    Old 07-18-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
    Sherri5186
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Sherri5186's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 425
    Sherri5186 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    SentenceDoing,

    Thanks so much for the information,me not having insurance
    for many,many years,I had only one MRI 15 years ago,and my
    last one was just 2 months ago,with my seizures actually being
    worse now,I wondered why it would not show.The doctor did
    order it to check to see if I had ever had a stroke.I have alot
    experience with having seizures,but,not too much on taking tests.
    Thanks again.Sherri

     
    Old 07-21-2007, 02:26 PM   #11
    neurowreck
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    neurowreck's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jul 2005
    Location: north of somewhere nice
    Posts: 1,477
    neurowreck HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    I"d start with a feeling of skipped heart beats, and beginning to get lightheaded; it was a weird feeling in my chest, and I'd often turn bluish, very cold, and then if I didn't get to the floor, end up of the floor..... lots of tests and ambulance trips, and I finally got a diagnosis and meds. Sometimes those seem to lead into the complex partial seizures, but those start out different, so I know initially which is which.....I sleep very hard after both.

     
    Old 07-21-2007, 04:49 PM   #12
    Sherri5186
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Sherri5186's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 425
    Sherri5186 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    Vickie,

    When you pass out or have a drop attack seizure,did you say you
    can hear your husband,but unable to respond? Because when I
    have mine,I cannot see or hear anything or anybody.

    I am not a doctor,but,my mother was having bad migraine headaches
    and alot of fainting spells,and it ended up being diabetes.Have they
    checked you for that? She would faint sometimes if she got a little
    upset,like a panic attack or something.

    Take care,Sherri

     
    Old 07-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #13
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    vickie45's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: logansport ,indiana usa
    Posts: 880
    vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    well all i had another spell only this time i tried taking a walk and got 2 blocks down i left because i was upset because my mom dont understand me and hurts my feelings well i got 2 blooks down and out of the blue i just dropped i was uncoios this time i didnt know nothing couldnt do nothing i was walking down on the main street on the sidewalk and i just fell i was out cold for like 10 mins i didnt hear nor see anything then i could hear people trying to get me to talk but i couldnt i just laid there i couldnt even remember my name they called my husband as they took me to the hospital i didnt even know what had happened and im scared to dealth i do not know whats happening i do have panic but this was not a panic attack also if im on xanax would that make me passout cold and they are happening more and more now i had one thursday another one today what is wrong with me and yes my surgar is fine im on b/p meds but this started happening in april 06 then again in sept then dec then in april 07 they started coming more and more but the blackouts have been like a month or so now what could this be i had the brain wave mri and 48 hr holter done in march 07 they said all was normal well passingout cold is not normal and seeing as its happening more and more this isnt normal do you have any ideals of what this could be im very very scared and my head still hurts horribly my chest hurts i cry oh and when the ent 's got to me i was coherant ...............vickie

    Last edited by vickie45; 07-21-2007 at 05:37 PM.

     
    Old 07-22-2007, 06:00 AM   #14
    Sherri5186
    Veteran
    (female)
     
    Sherri5186's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Jun 2006
    Location: Florida
    Posts: 425
    Sherri5186 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    Hi Vickie,

    What you just described sounds just like my drop attack seizures.
    I would demand an EEG test if they don't do one on you very soon.
    When you are out as long as 10 minutes,it is called "status epilepsy
    seizures" and they are not good for anyone.You may have already
    known that,but,just in case you didn't.My doctor told me for it to be
    status E. you do not have to be convulsing the whole time.

    Good-luck and Take care,Sherri

     
    Old 07-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)
     
    vickie45's Avatar
     
    Join Date: Feb 2007
    Location: logansport ,indiana usa
    Posts: 880
    vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
    Re: am wondering if this is a seizure or severe panic im so confused ?

    what is a eeg? is that the same as a brain wave and also if i had a mri,brain wave and the holter done in march 07 can stuff change this soon?
    and what is a eeg what do they do for that like what is it they do on me is it a blood test or what?

    Last edited by vickie45; 07-22-2007 at 02:18 PM.

     
    Closed Thread

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
    Could this be epilepsy or just a panic attack or seizure? Cindy1230 Open to All Other Health Topics 4 01-20-2010 01:25 PM
    Auras or Sensing Oncoming Seizure wdmoor Epilepsy 6 02-16-2009 12:02 PM
    Is this a grandmal generalized seizure? karbear023 Brain & Nervous System Disorders 8 10-16-2008 07:31 AM
    Who Said This Was Supposed To Be A Good Time Laye Menopause 24 04-04-2008 07:48 AM
    just wondering if anyone here has ever had a seizure or passingout spell from panic?? vickie45 Anxiety 1 12-13-2007 12:17 PM
    How diff is panic attacks & a seizure? sahaira Anxiety 6 04-12-2005 10:01 PM
    Desperately seeking help!!! Please read this long post, please JPGuinness Lyme Disease 20 01-03-2005 05:34 PM




    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is Off
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off




    Sign Up Today!

    Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

    I want my free account

    All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:49 AM.





    © 2020 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved.
    Do not copy or redistribute in any form!