It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Abdominal Epilepsy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #1
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User
    Abdominal Epilepsy

Anyone suffer from abdominal epilepsy? If so, how do you feel? Does your seizures start from severe abdominal cramping?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2007, 08:34 AM   #2
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB Usersammi2 HB User
    Re: Abdominal Epilepsy

I hope someone can answer your question. I have always wondered if my symptoms of abdominal cramping then fainting were seizures. I was told by my gastroenterologist that they were probably caused from an oversensitive vagus (sp?) nerve. What are your symptoms?

Old 12-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #3
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi2 View Post
    I hope someone can answer your question. I have always wondered if my symptoms of abdominal cramping then fainting were seizures. I was told by my gastroenterologist that they were probably caused from an oversensitive vagus (sp?) nerve. What are your symptoms?
    That is also what I was diagnosed with. Did they tell you Vasovagal Syncope? Which in term, send the pain from your stomach that is so severe through your vagus nerve causing you to faint. That's what they THOUGHT I had until a week ago when my mom witnessed me fainting from the cramps, and she works in the medical field and knew it was a seizure. So I got an EEG and also a MRI with and without contrast which came back pretty good. Only 1 abnormality which is a venous angioma which is no big deal they say. Mine start off from stomach cramps that are very painful, then I will end up on the john (toilet) then I will get up after seeing that I can't go and everything starts to go black until I finally hit the floor and wake up in a drenching sweat and I get a drink of gatorade and my symptoms subside. Weird I know but I talked to my Dr. from St. Louis who said it is rare but very possible I have abdominal epilepsy since everytime I pass out it always begins with cramping. I also have very bad generalized anxiety disorder which seems to bring on these spells more frequently and I am really worried, can epilepsy kill you?

Old 12-05-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

anders15, sounds like me. This is gross but there was a time when everytime I had a BM I had to have a table in front of commode to lay over when I passed out so I wouldn't hit the floor. It took me 30 yrs for a dr (gastroent) to finally tell me that it was related to vagus nerve. I don't remember if she called it vasovagal syncope or not. I was so relieved after all these years she knew what I was talking about I didn't hear anything else. As to if it can kill you, I have been told it is more dangerous now that I'm older. My BP usually drops & I am very weak for a long time. I guess it could cause heart failure. Maybe someone knows.

This may be too personal, but have you had a colonoscopy yet? I am due one & worried that with all the "stuff" we have to drink & most likely colon cramps that I will end up on the floor passed out. Dr said I would probably need to stay overnight in hospital to be monitored. Something you might keep in mind if you ever have to have a colonoscopy.

Old 12-05-2007, 11:53 PM   #5
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi2 View Post
    anders15, sounds like me. This is gross but there was a time when everytime I had a BM I had to have a table in front of commode to lay over when I passed out so I wouldn't hit the floor. It took me 30 yrs for a dr (gastroent) to finally tell me that it was related to vagus nerve. I don't remember if she called it vasovagal syncope or not. I was so relieved after all these years she knew what I was talking about I didn't hear anything else. As to if it can kill you, I have been told it is more dangerous now that I'm older. My BP usually drops & I am very weak for a long time. I guess it could cause heart failure. Maybe someone knows.

This may be too personal, but have you had a colonoscopy yet? I am due one & worried that with all the "stuff" we have to drink & most likely colon cramps that I will end up on the floor passed out. Dr said I would probably need to stay overnight in hospital to be monitored. Something you might keep in mind if you ever have to have a colonoscopy.

Wow you are identical to me with the colonoscopy prep. I had to stay overnight in Barnes Jewish hospital because of my syncope. I got very anxious when they hooked me up to a heart monitor because they didn't give me no explainations and I just thought I was going to die. As for the prep and colonoscopy I was soo worried about it and so worried I would pass out. But it is really a piece of cake. You don't get the cramps, the stuff doesn't taste to great but you just get that quick feeling of the runs, and you can feel the gases move in your stomach. I would definitely suggest you stay at a hospital just so you feel a sense of security in case something happened and you did pass out, but I can almost gurantee you that you WILL NOT pass out, because I have a pretty bad case of that Vagal junk and I was fine. Do your pass out spells happen from stomach cramps and feeling like you have to go to the bathroom or are they just when you have bowel movements?

Old 12-06-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
    sammi2
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

I'm glad I mentioned the colonoscopy to you. I feel "a little" less apprehensive. It doesn't happen with each BM only occ. I'm not sure I can describe it but it usually starts with slight colon pain & I feel I have to use the bathroom. I go to BR but don't have a BM right away. The colon pain gets worse & worse then the sweating & fainting. I feel like I'm in the BR a long time. I don't get better until I have a BM & then pain stops. I'm always very weak & shakey for awhile. I have also passed out from the pain of a gallbladder attack. Any severe pain (or to me it's severe) in abdominal area seems to trigger this. I was told by a nurse that was also from vagus nerve. Is that similar to what you experience?

Old 12-06-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
    vickie45
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User

anders15, i have been told they cant find any seizures but iam like you i get the horrible stomach pain just before i faint and i too have the bad diarea all the time its just gotten worse see just before i fall my stomach starts hurting really bad and i too have panic attacks too so im wondering about this cause every single time before i fall i get the stomach pain plus confusion i feel strange then my mind goes blank then i fall before dec 4th i allways was aware of what was happening but on dec 4th at my mom's i dont remember nothing i was out cold the only thing i remember is my stomach hurting then was looking at my sister and alls i remember is her white sweater then i came too about `10-15 mins later i think im having seizures but so far the drs cat pick it up i had a veeg done but was only at the hospital 1 day had MRI done but that was back in feb 07 but as the months went by i got worse i was fainting since sept 06 but not as much and the drs kept telling me it was from panic attacks but i do not believe this for one i know what a panic attack feels like and what my sisters told me from what they saw said it looked like i had a seizure but yes i get the stomach pains just before i fall do you also get sleepy and fall asleep i do and do your eyes ever flicker?? what other symtons do you get and how long are you out for ? and do they have you on medications yet?
    vickie

Old 12-06-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vickie45 View Post
    anders15, i have been told they cant find any seizures but iam like you i get the horrible stomach pain just before i faint and i too have the bad diarea all the time its just gotten worse see just before i fall my stomach starts hurting really bad and i too have panic attacks too so im wondering about this cause every single time before i fall i get the stomach pain plus confusion i feel strange then my mind goes blank then i fall before dec 4th i allways was aware of what was happening but on dec 4th at my mom's i dont remember nothing i was out cold the only thing i remember is my stomach hurting then was looking at my sister and alls i remember is her white sweater then i came too about `10-15 mins later i think im having seizures but so far the drs cat pick it up i had a veeg done but was only at the hospital 1 day had MRI done but that was back in feb 07 but as the months went by i got worse i was fainting since sept 06 but not as much and the drs kept telling me it was from panic attacks but i do not believe this for one i know what a panic attack feels like and what my sisters told me from what they saw said it looked like i had a seizure but yes i get the stomach pains just before i fall do you also get sleepy and fall asleep i do and do your eyes ever flicker?? what other symtons do you get and how long are you out for ? and do they have you on medications yet?
    vickie

Well I've been passing out from the abdominal cramping since 6th grade. I am now only 17 so it's been about 6-7 years. Well my symptoms before I got generalized anxiety disorder were: I would wake up (there's been times it's happened in class too where I cramp really bad and my lips turn white and I pass out) and my stomach would cramp really bad to where I think I had to make a BM. Well the worst one I had I was on the pot and I couldn't go, and my stomach was cramping up so bad. I then got up noticing I wasn't able to go and my vision started going black til finally I would hit the ground and my brother was standing over me calling my name. Mine last for about 1 min, then I regain consiousness and take a drink and feel immediately better, but I turn ghostly white and my lips are as white as snow during a spell. Last week though whenever they finally figured out it WAS a seizure I was anxious and started cramping up, and the eye doctor told me I had to get my eyes dilated and I told my mom "no, I don't feel good, I need to go home". My mom just thought it was my nerves and tried to calm me down, then the Dr. approached me and said were going to dilate your eyes and I said I'm going to pass out(my stomach was cramping at the time) and I passed out in the chair I was in and the Dr., my mom, and some aides came in and laid me back in the chair. I don't know what was happening because this one was like 4 or 5 mins. I just woke up to a drenching sweat and was shaky. My mom told me that my eyes flickered and I turned ghostly white. I took a drink of my Powerade and felt better, then we went off to the ER. I got transferred from there to a nearby hospital where I got an EEG and MRI w/ and w/o contrast. Everything looked good, and they clinically diagnosed that I did have a seizure, but there was no seizuric activity on the EEG. They found by mistake a venous angioma in the back of my Occipital but that is nothing serious at all. I'm going to see a Neuro in St. Louis soon to figure out what the heck is wrong with me and why I feel like I am dying. Sorry it was so lengthy I just wanted to see if yours were similar, and if you too turn white when you pass out and your lips are bleach white? Also, what tests have you gotten and what did they say?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:32 PM   #9
    grinchydizz
    (female)

grinchydizz HB User

WOW, I cant believe I stumbled upon these posts. All these years, I thought I was going crazy, but other people suffer like this too. Mine started 20 years ago, where I would have bad stomach cramps, and pass out on the toilet. I even had studies done at the Mayo clinic on me, and one of the doctors did a report on my case, and he is the one that said its from that vegus thing, related to IBS, and he explained that the nerves in your stomach are directly related to your brain. I had to take medicine for IBS for years, and even tried some anti anxiety medicines, for the brain. Anyway, once my husband witnessed it, and when I passed out, it looked like a seizure, but it wasnt. It was from the passing out itself. Its very, very embarrising. But, on another note, my daughter, which has had epilepsy since birth, had a bad seizure, right after she first had stomach cramps. But with her, it was her typical seizure. So, I would suggest being checked for IBS, and seizure disorder. Good luck to all

Closed Thread