It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Started Keppra today

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-07-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
    cas526
    (female)

cas526 HB User
    Started Keppra today

My son started Keppra today. I gave him 250 mgs (1/2 of a 500 tablet) at 8:00 this morning, by 9:00 he was in bed sleeping. He slept until 3:00 pm. Is this normal? I understand that it may take a while for his body to adjust, but I feel this is a bit much. If this is normal? how long can I expect it to be this way? We have a Neuro. appointment on Wed. Should I let him go until then or does this warrant a call to the Dr.
    His dosage to start is 250 in the AM and 250 at night for a week, then it will be 500 AM and PM

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 PM   #2
    neurowreck
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

neurowreck HB User
    Re: Started Keppra today

Fatigue is common with a lot of AED meds, at first. If you feel it's a concern, call, so you know what your doc is ok with..... also, encourage fluids, and high fiber foods, as constipation can be a real problem.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:37 PM   #3
    030free
    Veteran
    (female)

030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User030free HB User

I started keppra 2 years ago n I had same effects at first w fatigue, sleepiness, n even anxiety atttacks. I had the same doses n ended up at 1500mg AM and 1500mg PM... It wasnt easy, but I adjusted, so will ur child, but I agree; call if ur too concerned or worried, still keep a close eye.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:13 PM   #4
    nerfmom
    (female)

nerfmom HB User

My husband slept more when he started on Keppra. He also complained of feeling cold all the time. Luckily, he had no other major side effects.
    The really good news is, he hasn't had any seizures since he started on Keppra over a year ago. That is a record for him.

Old 01-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #5
    stevefromsd
    (male)

stevefromsd HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nerfmom View Post
    My husband slept more when he started on Keppra. He also complained of feeling cold all the time. Luckily, he had no other major side effects.
    The really good news is, he hasn't had any seizures since he started on Keppra over a year ago. That is a record for him.
    Did the Keppra control his seizures right away or did it not control them until he started taking the full dose? I am only asking because I have had a seizure while taking 1000 mg BID of Keppra. My Dr. has raised my dose to 1500 mg BID of Keppra.

Last edited by stevefromsd; 01-09-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #6
    SentenceDoing
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SentenceDoing HB User

I know fatigue is a common side effect for Keppra, and for some people it doesn't go away. When I started Keppra, I didn't have any side effects, but when I had first started Tegretol, I was soooo tired for about 2 weeks, and then I was back to normal. So it's pretty common.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #7
    sztoomuch
    (male)

sztoomuch HB User

Here is a different perspective:

I have been on Keppra for 6 months now. The Keppra replaces Mysoline, which is essentially Phenobarbital. That is a major depressant. As for me, I am having to learn how to operate again...I have so much energy! I also have to re-learn how to get to sleep at night!

When I first took Phenobarbital (diagnosed at 13 yo, I am now 51), I slept for 12 hours. Keppra is a whole lot better than some of the old medications. As neurowreck said, most AED's do indeed make you drowsy.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #8
    nerfmom
    (female)

nerfmom HB User

Along with the Keppra,750mg BID, he still takes 390mg of Dilantin. His grand mal seizures were all nocturnal and averaged one every 2-3 months. He also had petit mal seizures every so often. But the last seizure of any kind was just before starting Keppra. There has been no seizures since the Keppra. Before, along with the Dilantin, he also took Neurontin 1800mg a day. It didn't seem to do much for him.
    His Neuro doc did tell me that he also felt that the hiccups were caused by the combination of Keppra and Dilantin. But since there is no seizure activity, he will keep him on the same regime of meds, at least for now.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
    TopamaxKillsMe
    (female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User

When I first started Keppra I was weaning off topamax and I remember that I was so so so tired the first day. My jaw felt weird and I felt almost like I was on ecstasy but w/out the ooooh/ahhhh, I feel so good feeling.

It was gone two days later.

The worst thing about Keppra are the mood problems. I have been very depressed, agitated, anxious, angry since I started. I want off now.

Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #10
    kayakmom
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

kayakmom HB User

I hope the Keppra does well for you...Please be sure to talk to your doctor if you find that you have unusual mood problems or thinking.....it can happen with Keppra.

Sometimes taking Vitamen B 6....

Keppra can be a great med for many people. I hope that it helps you

Ginny

Old 01-11-2008, 08:09 PM   #11
    cas526
    (female)

cas526 HB User

thanks to all who have replied. He seems to be adjusting well. He was really tired the first 2 days but that seems to have subsided. On Sunday we will increase the dose to 750 (250 AM and 500 PM). His full dose will be 500 AM and PM. I have read about the Kep Rage and am keeping an eye out for that. He is mentally handicap so its VERY hard to figure out if he's feeling foggy or anything like that.
    He's scheduled for his first appointment for a sleep study on Thursday, since all of his seizures happen at night.

Closed Thread