It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Divalproex/valproic acid/Epival

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #1
    lookingforme
    (female)

lookingforme HB User
    Divalproex/valproic acid/Epival

Hi I am a 38 year old who has had Epilepsy since I have been 10 years old.
    I have tried out several drugs throughout my teenage years to finally be put on Epival also known as Valproic Acid, or Divalproex when I was approximately 16. Since then I have had very good control of my seizures. I have grand mal and petit mal both. My question is in regards to possible side effects of such medication. I have read all the side effects posted of possible liver damage and the such however I seem to have mood swings to varying degrees. Also I feel as though sometimes I am quite parnoid at times of things that may or may not be happening. I do not hear voices, or have hallucinations. It is just a feeling of paranoid toward the things people may say or behaviours they may exhibit. It is a feeling of someone trying to cause trouble for me or doing things behind my back. It has cause some trust issues within my relationship as well.
    Does anyone out there experience the same kinds of problems with this side effect? Keep in mind I have asked my doctor about this and he says it can cause mood swings, however I feel mine are very extreme and well if this is not normal I will feel it necessary to seek some answers to a possible different cause. thanks for any input!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
    heyloe
    (female)

heyloe HB Userheyloe HB Userheyloe HB User
    Re: Divalproex/valproic acid/Epival

Hello,

When I just looked up side effects for valproic acid it did list emotional problems, depression and nervousness to name just a few. If you are worried about these being potential side effects then talk to your doctor about them, but knowing that it could be from the meds can also be a relief- I know that from experience

Hope you find answers you're looking for,

heyloe

Closed Thread