It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Can someone explain to me what this is?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #1
    engimatic
    (female)

engimatic HB User
    Can someone explain to me what this is?

Last Monday, I had this happen to me for the fourth time. I am a soon-to-be 21 year old, female. 5'9, ~130 lbs.

It starts with feeling nauseous and just plain "out of it". Thinking critically is difficult. I blink numerous times as if my eyes are trying to adjust. I get nauseous and find a pain in my chest, (my) left side of my sternum. I laid down thinking I'm tired. Then the head shakes come in. It feels as if my brain is bouncing off the walls of my skull, left and right. Like someone is taking my brain and bouncing it back and forth like a basketball, but quickly. I cannot tell if my head is actually shaking, but it feels that it is. I'm not crying but tears fall from my eyes. I tried calling for help from my parents, but managed to softly say "c-ca"... like my brain misinterpreted calling for help as actually saying "calling"? I dont even know. I kept rubbing my upper right forehead in an upwards motion with my right hand. I get up, and I feel the shaking inside of my torso. Thats when my shoulders get stiff and hunched over. My head then starts jerking backwards, chin up. It became a repetitive movement. I tried calming myself down by telling myself to remain calm and breath, the internal shaking would be less violent for maybe a split second, but no relief. I felt my abdomen feel like it was collapsing inward... while my head continued to jerk back. I can feel my teeth vibrating and I caught a glimpse in the mirror... which was the scariest. I don't know if it was my mind playing tricks on me, but I felt like I looked like the girl from The Ring (movie) in the beginning... the one who was found in the closet and her jaw was misshaped. It drooped terribly on my left side. I couldn't stand anymore, my abdomen kept bringing me to my knees. I found my way back to the bed where all of the symptoms continued until all of a sudden they all stopped. I laid down and had a splitting headache, in the upper right where I was rubbing prior.

Like I said, this is the fourth time it's happened in the last 1.5 years. The first time it was just the head shakes. The second and third, the head and body shakes, while my head kept wanting to droop backwards. This is the worst case. I'm scared it's gonna happen again and be worse. If it helps any, I was extremely fatigued the week prior to this happening, slept from 12/1am-12/1pm, and a 1-2hr nap around 5pm... everyday.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight. I was diagnosed with Lupus 4 years ago, but it was never confirmed. I had an MRI done at that time for unrelated issues (constant eye shakes), but it came up clean. I don't have health insurance so I dont want to see a doctor if they won't come up with anything. I don't think it's anxiety, but that seems to be what my research leads to? I think a seizure would best fit, but I retain consciousness. It's not completely coherent, but the fact that I can remember these details makes it seem unlikely. I hit the back of my head pretty bad about a month before the first time it happened. But that was two Halloweens ago.

Thank you for your time reading this "essay" haha. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #2
    thk2
    (male)

thk2 HB User
    Re: Can someone explain to me what this is?

don't worry,you have to find root cause,it's easy,follow this steps and naturally you can cure your problem,
    first of problem starts from stomach bcz its origin of health,
    so if you have indigetion,gas,constipation,............ so you cure this problems,your other problem will disappeare,
    from your problem i think constipation or indigetion is main reason,
    so do some days on fast,only eat fresh fruits and veggies,
    and definately the result will improve and one day it cures

Old 07-11-2014, 08:41 PM   #3
    engimatic
    (female)

engimatic HB User

I doubt it's indigestion. I'm predominately vegan (though eat egg whites time to time), and on the day of the occurrence I had much fruit, some nuts, a bit of peanut butter, and a large salad- complete with spinach, sweet peppers, tomatoes, hummus, avocado, black beans, onions, white beans. I wasn't very hungry that day.
    I eat very healthily for the most part. I occasionally will eat things with wheat in them and will admit I had been eating more gluten foods earlier in the week that have been processed (I.e. Pretzels). I do recall feeling nauseous right before and right after the episode.

Thank you for your input though.

Last edited by engimatic; 07-11-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Old 07-16-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
    Jl925
    Inactive
    (male)

Jl925 HB User

It sounds like you had a seizure. You may have epilepsy. Get a thorough exam.

By the way, eating a vegan diet isn't healthy. Saturated animal fat, particularly from a grass fed, free range source is critical for hormone synthesis.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
    OrangeAugust
    (female)

OrangeAugust HB User

Sounds exactly like a simple partial seizure. There are maaaany different types of seizures. People think the only type are the ones where you lose consciousness and flail around on the floor, but there are complex partials (consciousness is altered but don't lose consciousness), simple partials (remain aware but have different symptoms depending on what part of the brain it's coming from. Yours was probably frontal lobe because of the motor aspect), absence seizures (the person stares off into space), and gran mal/tonic clonic (the type most people associate with epilepsy- unconscious and convulsing).
    I have epilepsy so I've done a lot of research. I get simple partial seizures that originate in my frontal lobe, so they affect my motor functions on the right side of my body. I'm fully aware during them. It's usually my right leg that feels like it's crawling and when I move it it shakes and jerks. when it's worse it spreads through the whole right side of my body. At one point they were really bad and the whole right side of my body would stiffen up and shake for a few seconds. Now I'm on medication and I get the occasional mild shaking in my leg.
    But definitely go to a neurologist. They will do an EEG. You need to be on medication to control this or it could get worse/more frequent, or might generalize into a gran mal. Good luck.

Reply Reply

Tags
    head jerk, headache, lupus (sle), seizure