It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• keppra paranoia

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 09-23-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
    candycane44
    (female)

candycane44 HB User
    keppra paranoia

Hi All,

Essentially, I have the BEST partner in the world. He is the most kind, caring, sweet, selfless person I know. He has tonic-clonic seizures, nasty ones. He has broken his nose countless times, chipped his teeth, hit his head, bit his tongue... everything.

They cannot pinpoint the location of the seizures, and in February- May of 2013, he went from having three seizures in his life to 7... Poor guy has undergone SO much testing and pain to figure it out, but they just can't. Fortunately, for the past year his seizures have been controlled-- with the exception of when he thought it was a good idea to NOT take them. However, this is with the onset of Keppra... which has made him incredibly paranoid, to the point where his family and I do not know what to do. He is constantly in fear for his life, and jumps at every little noise. We have tried to talk to him about his habits, but they seem to only get worse. I cannot stress HOW beautiful of a soul he is. He is not aggressive, but SUPER paranoid. I've been trying to deny it, but his family has made it clear that all of this is not okay anymore. He feels anxious if he does not have things with him to protect himself, and he justifies it as his AMERICAN right to do so.... Note: that did not start until he started keppra.

I'm a bit of a hippie... lived in San Francisco, wear flowers in my hair, why can't we all just get along and I drive a beetle kinda hippie.... so I don't get it. And it's NOT him. He is resistant to changing AED's because other ones have "too many side effects" and I'm thinking... uhhhh, this one has super scary side effects. And he has horrific headaches, and I'm pretty sure he seizes in his sleep, so is it really helping? NO. His other AED helps, Onfi, that was God-sent... but the keppra has made him bananas!!!! If he's not up at certain stores buying crap, he's sleeping. He's either a zombie or preparing for the zombie apocalypse.

I love him, and am with him to the end, but... goodness gracious I have no idea how to think or feel about any of this. I know quite a lot about the brain due to my studies, and I think his neurologist is just grasping at straws and has been terrible with him (e.g., just sending him prescriptions without even seeing him)... and we tried other people and they were too busy. I knew what kind of epilepsy he had before they officially diagnosed him (and he started having them 3 years before we met...)and I also knew taking him on and off of sleeping pills to help him sleep was a mistake because it caused a bunch of rebound seizures (sleeping pills were not validated in the epileptic brain, and can actually have opposite effects, which they did for him, and he had two seizures back to back because they took him off the sleeping pills).

Eeeeeggh. His poor mom just spent a BUNCH of time and money trying to help him, but to no avail. No one can figure anything out...

Anyone else experience this??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply

Tags
    epilepsy, keppra, relationships