It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

• Need info on ER responsibility to a patient having a seizure

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
    TannasNana
    (female)

TannasNana HB User
    Need info on ER responsibility to a patient having a seizure

Though my daughter has had epilepsy for years and has been to the ER many times, this is my first time looking for info on a message board.

This morning at about 3:00 am she had a seizure and fell down about 14 steps. Squad took her to local ER. Two hours later they send her on her way (she has never been able to drive do to her seizures). They called a cab and told her to walk outside and wait for it. She was still out of it and still getting sick as she was leaving the ER and had another grand-mal seizure in the ER parking lot, breaking her glasses and her face looks like she was in a fight. Luckily someone went outside for a break and found her outside the ER doors on the ground still having the seizure and covered in blood. We have never had an ER send her on her way in about 2 hours let alone send her off without someone to help her out or at least a staff member take her out in a wheelchair. Is there a protocol an ER is supposed to use in determining when and/or if they should send a patient home or keep them for observation? I talked to a patient rep today and they said they will pay to replace her glasses, which makes me think they feel some responsibility, but she may need more treatment for the cuts and bruises on her head and face. Thanks for any information and help anyone can offer!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
    dogmom
    (female)

dogmom HB Userdogmom HB User
    Re: Need info on ER responsibility to a patient having a seizure

I am beyond disgusted. Where do you live, anyway? I have never heard of this kind of mistreatment and I live in a very small lake town.
    I had to be transferred to a big, well known hospital as the useless hospy in my teeny town couldn't handle what was going on with me (they spotted a subdurmal hematoma and some other hemmorahge)...i.e., brain bleeding after a seizure and baaaad fall on my head. After an hour wait in the hallway on a gurney, really embarrassed, I was finally moved to a curtained area and was ignored for I don't know how long, until all of these alarms started going off and a bunch of people came running. I just remember seeing all of the fast-moving shoes.
    Those alarms got their attention. Next thing I knew I was in ICU.
    That being said, they told me that there was a backlog of CT scans and MRI people but after my 'Grand Mal" in the ER, everyone waiting for those tests were put on hold.
    So Lord only knows how many people I held up that night.
    I just can't believe what your daughter went through. If I were you, I would most certainly get a lawyer and don't talk with the hospital any longer.
    Again, it is just horrible the way she wasn't treated and I'm so sorry for her and your family. I hope you all get some well-deserved justice.

P.S. my best friend is a nurse at Dartmouth Hospital in NH and she, too, was horrified. what your daughter went through is NOT the protocol at ALL. That is why she took an oath, as do doctors.

Last edited by dogmom; 10-17-2014 at 08:00 PM.

Reply Reply