It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epilepsy Message Board

Could I be having seizures and not realize it?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-12-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
jeffiner71
(female)

jeffiner71 HB Userjeffiner71 HB User
Question Could I be having seizures and not realize it?

About nine years ago, I started having issues with being lightheaded and losing my balance. Over the years, the symptoms have compounded, not being able to focus, spacing out mid sentence, not able to find words, the right half of my face will go numb, right sided weakness, crawling sensation on the right side of my neck, my hands will twitch, falling, heavy feeling on right side, headaches and memory issues, one pupil is larger than the other and I have lost night vision in one eye. When the numbness in my face washes over me, I sometimes lose control of my bladder. I recently started smelling what smells like cigarette smoke when there is no source. I saw the neurologist the other day and she ordered an MRI of my brain. She did ask if I knew if I had ever had a seizure. Could I be having them and not realize it? Can an MRI even detect if I have?

I pursued the issue a couple of times over the years but quickly got frustrated with doctors blowing it off as anxiety and offering me pills for it. They did the same when I was vomiting on a daily basis for seven years until someone finally tested me for gluten allergy, which was positive. It was a physical cause. I stopped eating gluten and stopped puking.

I have had two surgeries on my cervical spine, and thought that maybe nerve damage from the surgeries was the issue for a while, now I think there is more to it. Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2015, 12:00 AM   #2
Seraph
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Could I be having seizures and not realize it?

Your symptoms are quite consistent with a migraine disorder. Maybe talk to migraine sufferers on this forum and elsewhere. You can have petit mal seizures without being aware, but major seizures are unlikely, unless you have found yourself on the floor or something like that. Sera

Last edited by Seraph; 03-13-2015 at 12:02 AM.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:01 AM   #3
jeffiner71
(female)

jeffiner71 HB Userjeffiner71 HB User
Re: Could I be having seizures and not realize it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
Your symptoms are quite consistent with a migraine disorder. Maybe talk to migraine sufferers on this forum and elsewhere. You can have petit mal seizures without being aware, but major seizures are unlikely, unless you have found yourself on the floor or something like that. Sera
Thanks, I have had migraines since I was a little girl. I knew that they could cause some of this. I have never lost consciousness, always been aware as far as I know, but when the numbness and heaviness come over me, I feel as though I am not in control of my body. It only lasts about 30 seconds.

Reply Reply

Tags
confusion, facial numbness, headaches, seizures, weakness