It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board

• Post EBV - 2.5 years later and still have swollen glands?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-20-2016, 02:08 AM   #1
    eib1000
    (male)

eib1000 HB User
    Post EBV - 2.5 years later and still have swollen glands?

Hi. I had a bad case of (diagnosed) EBV early 2014. I was very ill with 6 weeks off of work. I've recovered except the lymph glands in my neck seem to be constantly swollen. Bloods show low red and white blood cell count (red blood cell levels almost anemic levels but I'm not iron deficient). The body also shows signs of fighting an infection but doctors cant find an infection (I'm HIV negative). One theory its a hangover from EBV. Anyone else have similar? I'm tired but that's due to the low red blood cell count. I dont have anxiety or any symptoms of CFS (Ive been on anti depressants anyway for a long time before this).

Anyone throw any light on post EBV "infections" and swollen glands and what it may be/treatment options? Dr's are still running tests on me (latest is toxoplasmosis I'm awaiting the results).

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-29-2016, 01:56 PM   #2
    Shells40
    (female)

Shells40 HB User
    Re: Post EBV - 2.5 years later and still have swollen glands?

Hi

I started to get swollen glands in my neck/under chin at the beginning of May. Two weeks later I took ill (fever, no appetite, fatigue, anxiety etc) and had to have about 6 weeks off work. Trips to the doctor got me nowhere. They just said I probably had a virus. They took blood but just told me liver function ok thyroid ok etc. After about 6 weeks they sent me for an ultrasound on my neck and abdomen. For the abdomen they said the spleen was fine and for the neck they said I had enlarged lymph nodes that didn't look suspicious just reactive. They told me the nodes can take a while to go down but said they could refer me to ENT but that would be about another 8 weeks wait. I can't feel the nodes myself but they ache a lot and sometimes are almost throbbing. It comes and goes throughout the day. I asked if it could be glandular fever and was told no as I hadn't had a sore throat. I don't know if this was tested for in my blood or not (I think not).
    I was that anxious after researching online as everywhere says if lymph nodes are swollen longer than a month then it's cancer that I went for a private referral to ENT. The consultant I saw said they weren't at all suspicious and thought probably from a virus but didn't mention EBV. That was 6 weeks ago and I'm due to go back this week. From more research online I'm really starting to think this 'virus' could be EBV.
    My glands still hurt everyday. It's not horrific pain or anything more of an ache but it's just so worrying and does affect my everyday life. Also I still have some fatigue although not as bad as it was.
    It's now been 4 months since my glands first swelled. Previous to this I had no health issues.

Do your glands hurt or can you just feel them?

Sorry I haven't been much help but my guess is that somehow your body is still under attack from the virus and this is why the nodes continue to react.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #3
    dle11
    Inactive
    (female)

dle11 HB User
    Re: Post EBV - 2.5 years later and still have swollen glands?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eib1000 View Post
    Hi. I had a bad case of (diagnosed) EBV early 2014. I was very ill with 6 weeks off of work. I've recovered except the lymph glands in my neck seem to be constantly swollen. Bloods show low red and white blood cell count (red blood cell levels almost anemic levels but I'm not iron deficient). The body also shows signs of fighting an infection but doctors cant find an infection (I'm HIV negative). One theory its a hangover from EBV. Anyone else have similar? I'm tired but that's due to the low red blood cell count. I dont have anxiety or any symptoms of CFS (Ive been on anti depressants anyway for a long time before this).

Anyone throw any light on post EBV "infections" and swollen glands and what it may be/treatment options? Dr's are still running tests on me (latest is toxoplasmosis I'm awaiting the results).

Thanks
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear about your illness. I have had EBV since I was 25. I am 56 now. I am sorry to tell you that swollen glands are something that will come and go. It will be better at times, but once you have Chronic Fatigue at least for me, it has been a lifelong problem. There are things that you can do to help it, and I suggest you also get a thyroid test. Hypothyroidism has a root cause in EBV. And, if you to have low thyroid, it could be causing you to feel run down, tired, etc. I would make sure you also have enough B-12. As, low iron, and B-12 can help with CFS. Is your EBV in remission? I spent one whole year in bed after I was diagnosed. Get lots of rest! The more that you push yourself, the more tired you will become, and it will take longer for your EBV to go into remission. Drink lots of pure water, kombucha, eat greens, and go light on the gluten and sugar. Stay away from caffeine, drink green tea, and fresh carrot, and veggie juices. Don't drink alcohol.
    Hopefully the tests back from your doc will help!
    Let me know if you have any questions. I have lived with this disease a long time.
    Deb

Closed Thread

Tags
    anemia, ebv, gland