It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board

Lies about laparoscopic gallbladder surgery

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #1
REE43
(female)

REE43 HB User
Lies about laparoscopic gallbladder surgery

I had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery 6-13. I was told no big deal , minimal pain and
Id be back to work in a week to a desk job. Im so disgusted this has been the worst week of my life.Horrible pain and feels like insides torn out,cant get up once seated and.. forget sleeping. The pain from air they pump in you is still with me. Can bearly eat as everything gives runs and gas. I cannot believe they made this out to be no big deal. I cant see going back to work for a while and just want pain to subside. Anyone else have trouble? I had no pain prior to surgery,gallstones on ultrasound.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2018, 01:23 PM   #2
MSNik
Senior Veteran
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
Re: Lies about laparoscopic gallbladder surgery

Hi! First of all, that was only 5 days ago so cut yourself some slack! I had mine out too and although by the 5th day I was feeling better; I was an athlete when I had mine out and my body was in really good shape.

First things first. Did you walk the day you got home and the next day? No matter how bad it feels, you have to walk to get the gas out of you....have someone walk around the block with you a few times a day or walk all over your house if you have to- but laying around won't dissipate the air.

Second, what are you eating? Did anyone tell you NOT to eat FAT for at least a few weeks and to ease back into eating slowly...?? No one told me either. My first night home I ate a piece of pizza and thought I was going to die that night.

Your body has to learn to digest fat without a gallbladder; this takes up to a month. For the first week stay on a strict NON FAT diet. Egg whites, fat free yogurt, fat free soup, applesauce, fruit, veggies with no dressing, chicken and turkey are fine- but skip red meat and fatty fishes. My favorite snack of all was FAT FREE DIP (made with fat free sour cream and fat free pretzels)and Jello Brand fat free pudding. NO BUTTER, NO OIL , NO CHEESE.

After about 5 days of this, start adding in very little fat. Read labels - look at how many grams of fat are on things. Keep everything under 5 grams of fat for the next week. You can have one thing with 5 grams of fat per meal...no more than 5 grams at any one time. By now you should be adding pasta with just a tiny bit of sauce (meatless)- some red meat (but limit the amount) and you can start using a pad of butter or a bit of oil on things...you might even try a scrambled egg; but cook it with nonstick spray, not butter or oil.

I would stick with low fat for at least 3 weeks. Your going to feel SO MUCH better! (you'll also lose weight if thats a good thing...).
When you feel ready (at least a month out from your surgery) go for it and eat whatever you are craving....but only a small portion. Try it and see how you feel...if it takes you running to the bathroom within the hour, go back to low fat and try again in a few days...I promise you YOU WILL EAT EVERYTHING YOU LOVE again...it just might take a few months.

Once your body learns how to digest fat on its own, you will be in the clear and able to eat every fatty, greasy thing you can crave! My first huge splurge was pizza. I ate 4 giant pieces and when I survived it I knew I was on the mend.

5 days is not enough time to say that "they lied'- gallbladder removal is still surgery and unless you are being very careful about what you eat, you are going to feel lousy...but get up and start moving or that gas will remain in there for another week...

Hugs. I promise in a month you'll look back at this and laugh.

Old 06-20-2018, 10:14 AM   #3
REE43
(female)

REE43 HB User

Thanks yes been watching diet.not even eating much. My big issue is the fullness and pulling in abdomen and pelvic area. Ive walked dont like sitting as im active. To get up from sitting to walking is the worst, as mentioned before still have a burning sensation in buttock supposedly from surgical pad per suegeon. I go for post op tomorrow so hopefully can get some answers. Thanks for info.

Old 06-20-2018, 07:22 PM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Press a pillow to your abdomen when you try to stand up from sitting. It will help support it. Also, when you go to bed, crawl in on your hands and knees.It's easier.

Reply Reply