It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Smoking - can i prevent weight gain completely?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-10-2017, 05:08 AM   #1
    Mimzyo
    (female)

Mimzyo HB User
    Smoking - can i prevent weight gain completely?

Hi, i'm a 20 year old female and i have been smoking since i was 14 years old. I smoke about 10 - 20 hand rolled cigarettes per day. 3 weeks from now i will be quitting smoking.
    I have struggled with eating disorders throughout my life, with periods of binge eating then periods of starving myself. I completely messed up my metabolism and previously weighed almost 200 pounds.
    Over the past couple of years i have been living a very healthy lifestyle and have dropped my weight down to 110 pounds, i still want to lose another 5 pounds, i'm only 5ft. I eat a clean, vegan, wholefoods diet, i never drink alcohol, i run for 40 minutes 4 times a week, brisk walk every other day, lift light weights and i do pilates. The only problem with my health is that i smoke, well i'm determined to quit!
    I'm just really concerned about weight gain, many people say it is inevitable. I am worried the weight gain will trigger my eating disorder behavior again.
    When i quit smoking, i will be continuing to eat healthy, exactly the way i'm eating now, being vegan means most junk foods that i can get where i live are off limits anyway, i will be doing more exercise, running faster and longer and lifting heavier weights. They say smoking burns an extra 200 calories a day so i will be burning another 200 a day on top of the 300 - 600 calories i'm already burning everyday through exercise.

I know the weight gain that comes from quitting isn't as bad as the diseases that come with smoking which is why i'm quitting anyway. I just want to know if i can prevent it, i don't want a negative body image again and i'm only 5ft tall so every pound i gain shows and i still want to lose another 5 pounds.
    Is weight gain inevitable?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #2
    Harri3t
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Harri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB UserHarri3t HB User
    Re: Smoking - can i prevent weight gain completely?

Good for you for making this very important decision, especially at your young age. I quit more than 2 years ago but not before the damage was done. If you stick with your plan then yes, I think you will do well with no weight gain. That has been the experience of other ex-smokers I've met online who followed similar activity plans as yours. But as you've already stated, the risks of smoking far outweigh any weight gain so I will urge you not to let the thought of weight gain deter you from your decision to quit. Smoking related diseases like COPD are irreversible. Even if you should gain a few pounds that is much more easily remedied than growing new lungs. Stick with your plans to maintain an active lifestyle and a healthy diet as a non smoker. You can do this and will do well with that attitude.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:41 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

I quit 2 years ago and havent gained a pound! Like you, I am little. 5'3 and 110 lbs. I exercise 3-5 times a week, both doing cardio (running) and weight training.
    I substituted smoking with eating low cal foods like baby carrots and celery sticks. No dip! My biggest pleasure was always having a cigarette in my hands while driving..since I am in sales, I am almost always in my car. Now, when I get into the car, I hold a pencil or pen in my hand near the window. No, I dont chew on it, I just hold it! lol. When things get really bad and I want a cigarette, I go for a run. If I am in work clothes and cant run, I go somwhere alone and do jumping jacks or run in place. I do whatever it takes to take my mind off it.

Increase your exercise to add some yoga or other relaxing techniques...start drinking Chamomile or some other calming herbal tea..and remember this is the single best thing you can do for yourself.
    Good luck. You are going to be very glad you did this!

Old 07-17-2017, 03:37 PM   #4
    rosier
    Veteran
    (female)

rosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB Userrosier HB User

You can go to a dietician and get a structured diet made up on your likes and dislikes. You need to be prepared for when you do quit, it might not last for the first time. You may have to quit several times before it sticks, and then the diet should be done. You will find many things that you never thought of eating before. Get with a dietician and get great advice from the person. They will have ideas of what you should eat and what to avoid.
    Good luck on the quit, I did mine back in 2001 and have been somber ever since. Hugs for today.

Rosier
    Never give up.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:29 AM   #5
    rashidmalik
    (male)

rashidmalik HB User

Hi,
    I don't think so that your decision to quit smoking will impact on your weight.There are lot of healthy things which you can do to maintain your weight. In fact you are doing good things like exercise, eating healthy food and you are not taking alcohol also. According to me your decision to quit smoking is perfect, you should go ahead.Because just to maintain your weight you are adopting habit like smoking then it will not make you stay you healthy and fit so there is no meaning if your life will not going to be healthy at all. So quit smoking.Stay healthy and have a long life

Old 03-04-2021, 02:50 AM   #6
    graves92
    (male)

graves92 HB User

As far as I know, smoking has never helped anyone lose weight. The whole point is that it's stressful for the body, so it gains weight when you quit smoking. But that's no reason to keep going. Working out, eating right, and being active will help you.

Reply Reply

Tags
    quit smoking, smoking, weight gain, weight loss, worried