It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Elliptical - Workout Question

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 04-15-2018, 08:21 AM   #1
    jrdoa
    (male)

jrdoa HB User
    Elliptical - Workout Question

I'm 49, 6ft, 225. Body frame is more like an athlete (wide developed shoulders), but have the gut.

I work out 3x a week for 30 minutes on the elliptical. My question is what is better to lose weight? Going 30 minutes at level 12 and going 2.5 miles or so OR 30 minutes at level 6-8 and going 3 to 3.5 miles? My heart rate either way starts around 115 and goes to the low 160s.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Elliptical - Workout Question

Neither of these are going to help you lose weight better than the other....losing weight is all about burning more than you take in calorie wise.

What will make a difference is your heart health. Going faster will force your heart rate up faster- whether you can maintain it and eventually get your heart rate lower, is the question. You do not want to keep raising your heart rate until you can go no further....not at first anyway; that is not healthy. The idea is to get your heart rate in the right space and be able to maintain it. This is how long distance runners can run so far!

To lose weight with cardio is hard. I know, I do it every day too....but I also do strength training and classes such as TRX and Barre and bootcamp 3-4 times a week. These classes build muscle, tone the body and help boost the metabolism, which burns calories,

Bottom line is you need to know how many calories you are burning and how many you are eating and make sure you are burning more than you eat. I find that the eliptical burns the least amount (for me). I can do 30 minutes on it at level 7 and only burn 150 calories. I can jog on the treadmill with intervals (up and flat) for the same time and burn 180 and the one which burns the most for me is the stair ergometer...this one will burn almost 300 calories in 30 minutes at level 6.

I hope this makes sense...its very confusing. But you need to add in ab work to lose the middle as well...remember, as your legs get stronger from the eliptical; you will gain muscle which may cause you to gain weight as well. Muscle weighs more than fat.

Old 04-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #3
    lenvegas
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

lenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB Userlenvegas HB User
    Re: Elliptical - Workout Question

Hi, if you want to lose your gut then work the elliptical every day at level 12 for one hour which would be burning about 1000 calories per session. After each session do as many stomach crunches as you can. The cardio will expose your stomach muscles while the crunches well define those muscles. It also helps if you eat clean and avoid sodas and sweets.

Reply Reply