It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Walking help

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 07-07-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
    Judoka86
    (male)

Judoka86 HB User
    Walking help

Hi everyone. This may seem a little bit silly to some, but I am looking for a strategy to help improve my walking. I was active in the past as I used to enjoy both powerlifting and Judo on a regular basis with a little bit of Kettle bells added to the mix.

Due to a shift of focus in my life I have been rather inactive and gained a substantial amount of weight as a result over a four year period.
    I find a lot of my strength is there, as well as my muscle memory, but there is a lack of flexibility, speed, and conditioning to pick up where I left off.
    Battling against my ego and my former capabilities has been difficult and I have accepted that I must build myself backup from literal baby steps.

However, due to my exess bulk I now find it difficult to walk like I used to, as my hips and lower back often give me Issue when trying to walk for any extended lenght of time. I battle with myself daily to swallow my pride and take action, but then beat myself up for allowing myself to get into such a state. I used to walk roughly 5 miles every day when I had my dog, now I struggle to walk 20 meters.

So basically what Im looking for is some form of stretching or static exercises I can do to improve my walking as well as my posture. Getting started is the difficult part, but I know as soon as the weight begins to shift then a lot of the pain will subside as well in these areas.

Sorry for the long post, Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-07-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
    Titchou
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
    Re: Walking help

Besides a better diet, a beginner yoga class may help. Also, if you can find a "gait"clinic, they can offer suggestions. A couple of the crossfit style places in my home town periodically offer those. You might check around.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Yoga or Pilates are both exercises which limber you up and help stretch your body. You might look into taking an introductory course in either of these disciplines. Once your body is used to being stretched and used again, you may find that you can walk further.

I would also make sure you are wearing the right shoes, any good sneaker store should be able to help you with this.

Talk to your doctor. He or she can also give you suggestions!

Congratulations for making your health and fitness a priority!

Old 07-09-2018, 01:37 AM   #4
    Judoka86
    (male)

Judoka86 HB User

Sorry for the delayed response, and thank you for the reply.
    Yeah I am already working on improving my nutritional intake and making it more balanced. One of the flaws of being so sctive in the past was an increased appetite for muscle building and recovery, especially with the powerlifting training I used to do. Training stopped but appetite remained, hence the weight increase lol.

I had never heard of a gait clininc before, I will definitely check it out.

My only problems with yoga classes just now are confidence related as well as cash flow.

As for footwear, I had originally bought a pair of hiking boots due to the volume of walking I used to do. Will this still be acceptable do you think, or should I substitute it for trainers?

Thank you again for the reply.

Reply Reply