It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Gaining weight after diet and exercise

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-16-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
Oktober Knight
(male)

Oktober Knight HB User
Gaining weight after diet and exercise

I am frustrated that I'm actually gaining weight after 2 weeks of diet and exercise. I will post as much info as I can to see if anyone can spot what I'm doing wrong.

Stats:
Male
5'6"
207 lbs

Daily exercise routine (75 mins):
6 miles between exercise bike and treadmill.
Exercise bike is a virtual course with intermittent slopes. I bike 5 miles on gear 9.
On the treadmill, I power walk on a 4.5 incline at 3.1 speed. I do this for about a half hour or 1.25 miles. My heart rate stays at an average of 150.

As far as my diet goes, I've been eating kale salad with tomatoes and homemade olive oil dressing. I eat this for lunch and dinner and I usually have a yogurt after my workout. I only drink water, about 5 bottles a day.

I've been doing this routine for 2 weeks and gained 4 pounds and actually feel much more bloated. How is this possible? Strangely enough I didn't workout or diet over the weekend and today I feel a little more toned in my love handles (but weight is still the same).

Any ideas? Should I work out harder? Am I not eating enough calories?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2018, 11:48 PM   #2
YaYagirl
Senior Veteran
(female)

YaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB UserYaYagirl HB User
Talking Re: Gaining weight after diet and exercise

Oktober, take your measurements, waist, chest and hips, then you can tell if you lost fat. Gaining muscle can confuse the issue because muscle is heavier than fat. But it is muscle that burns the fat. You also need to be eating protein and a variety of vegetables to build muscles and be healthy.

Give your body time to adjust to the changes. How your clothes fit should change after awhile. Two weeks isn't likely to show a lot.

Never worry. Just keep on keeping on. GOOD JOB!

Last edited by YaYagirl; 07-16-2018 at 11:51 PM.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
JohnR41
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Gaining weight after diet and exercise

Oktober,

You didn't give your age and that could be important. Older people are more prone to be hypothyroid. But younger people can be hypothyroid too, especially if they're diet is not providing the right nutrients. For example, your diet does not appear to contain any significant amount of iodine, and your thyroid will not function properly without it. Your thyroid needs iodine to produce thyroxin. Without iodine, you will be hypothyroid and people who are hypothyroid are known to have weight issues.

Most dietary iodine comes from seafood. Vegetable are supposed to have some iodine too but the amount varies depending on where the vegetables were grown. So it's a bit of a risk to depend on vegetables alone. Also, eating a lot of raw cruciferous vegetables will block the absorption of iodine and Kale is a cruciferous vegetable.

It would be acceptable to eat a moderate amount of cooked cruciferous vegetables. And after they cool down you can put them in a salad with many other vegetables like tomatoes, cucumber, celery etc.). For protein you can add 1 serving of beans to your salad.

For iodine, you might need to do some research to find the type of seafood you like that has a good amount. Or, if you don't eat animal protein you might need to do some research on the best way to supplement. But remember, too much iodine can be as bad as not having enough.

Also, it might help to get your blood level of B12 checked. That has a lot to do with metabolism.

One final thought: Stay away from fad diets. Choose a healthy (well rounded) diet that will serve you well for the rest of your life.

Last edited by JohnR41; 10-12-2018 at 08:11 AM.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
quincy
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Gaining weight after diet and exercise

From your diet description, your body isn't getting enough energy foods for the amount of exercise you're doing. You also aren't eating protein or a balanced diet. Carbs are necessary when exercising so that the body isn't using its own protein organs for energy. In effect, it kind of goes into starvation mode, conserving its stores.
Are you seeing a nutritionist/ dietician?
q

Last edited by quincy; 10-12-2018 at 09:37 AM.

Reply Reply

« Walking help | - »