It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Is it okay to weigh a lot but not look fat?

• Post New Thread   Reply Reply
    Old 11-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #1
    hellohallo

hellohallo HB User
    Is it okay to weigh a lot but not look fat?

I weigh 151 lbs and I'm 5' 4" but i look thin... is that ok

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #2
    MSNik
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User
    Re: Is it okay to weigh a lot but not look fat?

Weight is all about body type. You may be only 5'4, but if you are big boned, then you will weigh more..also if you have allot of muscle, you will weigh more because muscle weighs more than fat.

The best person to tell you your overall health is your doctor. Carrying around extra weight is rough on your heart. What are your measurements? Is your waist smaller than 30 inches? If so, you are probably healthy..but if you are bigger than a 30 inch waist, you may need to drop a few pounds.

Talk to your doctor. He or She will be your best source of overall health questions as they have all the information to make that decision.

Old 11-16-2019, 05:53 AM   #3
    Chainsoflove
    (female)

Chainsoflove HB User

Hi HelloHalo,

I think your weight is just fine for your height. Just be sure you are eating healthy food. If you are concerned about your weight, ask your doctor for advice. I weigh myself daily. I guess I should wait for a week, but it is tempting with a scale right in front of me. We are all unique in body shape and size. You are just fine at the weight you are at.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
    JohnR41
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hellohallo View Post
    I weigh 151 lbs and I'm 5' 4" but i look thin... is that ok
    Based on the limited information you have given us, your BMI is 25.9 which suggests that you are likely overweight. A BMI of 25 to 29.9 is overweight for the average person.

There may be an exception for serious body builders but you didn't say you're a serious body builder. Anyway, most serious body builders know that lots of muscle will make them heavier.

If you're worried about your weight, or the accuracy of BMI, there are scales that will calculate your percentage of body fat. Your local health dept. or other agency may do that for free. If you have a high percentage of body fat, that will tend to confirm that you are overweight. Or, as some may call it, "overfat".

Skeletal bones make up only about 15% of body weight, but at least half of that is water in the marrow. So I wouldn't count on your bones being a big factor. Dry, fat-free skeletal bones from autopsy make up about 6-7% of body weight. In other words, the difference between big bones and smaller bones wouldn't add up to that much weight. And it's not uncommon for overweight people to be small boned.

Reply Reply