It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Pain in my ankles from running on the treadmill, any suggestions?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-18-2004, 11:04 AM   #1
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User
    Question Pain in my ankles from running on the treadmill, any suggestions?

I would like to start running on the treadmills, but I just find it very annoying. It kind of hurts to my feet... I get cramps in my toes, I don't know what it is, maybe im running on a wrong way?... I always fall through my ankles as well. Whenever I run, suddenly my ankles just hurt and I almost fall and it just hurts a lot, weak ankles I guess? I really hate all of this because I know I would be able to built up my endurance and body if my feet and ankles didn't hurt that much. My body is always built kind of weirdly. I'm not overweight or anything, but I don't have a flat tummy, and I have especially wide hips (very annoying..) and short legs. I'm not very tall, I'm about 1.58 meters and i think that's 5"2 errm feet.

So what do you suggest for me?
    Thanks,

Chrissy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2004, 11:27 AM   #2
    Raynie
    (female)

Raynie HB User
    Re: Pain in my ankles from running on the treadmill, any suggestions?

Yeah, my feet hurt too on the treadmill when i try to run, even after doing 45 mins. of yoga stretching. It's not so much just the back of the ankle for me, but the top of the foot where it curves up into the leg is the worst spot. Like the whole ankle area and maybe even the calves are stiff or something, but on regular flooring it's fine.

Suggestions: It seems to be less bothersome for me if i hold on to the bars, but that also feels like i'm not getting as much of a work out. Also it was less bothersome when i put the incline function totally horizontal instead of angled, except that is also less of a workout.

good luck.

Old 01-18-2004, 11:39 AM   #3
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

Yeah, me too the whole ankle area. Well, thanks for your help

Old 01-18-2004, 05:48 PM   #4
    KingFootie
    (male)

KingFootie HB User

Chrissy F.,

My suggestion would be to use an indoor bicycle; it takes the pounding off of your feet and ankles. Also, you are able to get more of a workout because you are more comfortable - you're able to get a full, pain free workout. I've run track for many years and I know that running puts alot of pressure on the knees and ankles. When I'm injured, etc. I resort to working out on an indoor bike.

Cycling is a great way to build up endurance and tone the legs and calves and it's fun. I prefer indoor bikes that have a real bicycle "chain" instead of a plastic one; it just feels more real to me. If you choose to take this approach, make sure you time how long you ride for and gradually increase the time when your endurance increases.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

Last edited by KingFootie; 01-18-2004 at 05:49 PM.

Old 01-19-2004, 05:05 AM   #5
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

Hey, thanks for the tip I guess you're right and I should do something else than the treadmill, I just always heard running was the best way to lose weight and get fit, but I'll try spinning. Oh, I usually go on the langlaufer thing though, love that

Thanks,
    Chrissy

Old 01-21-2004, 04:26 PM   #6
    ladiehawk00

ladiehawk00 HB User

You could always try and get ankle braces. I have week ankles and for soccer trying to kick a ball around on a really bad field that was lopsided and had little ditches and stuff they gave some stability and it stopped a lot of the problems with my ankles. Maybe for your toes hurting maybe a change in shoes I don't know though.

Old 01-21-2004, 04:44 PM   #7
    mjmaciver
    Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

Go and see a pediatrist, maybe you need insoles to support your feet properly, I know I used to have that problem with hockey, after I played Iwould take my skate off and wouldn't be able to walk for about 10 minutes
    Saw the doc, he said insoles was the ticket, never had the pain again.

Not exactly the same thing, but worth a shot every wrong placement of yoiur foot can have consequences on any other part.

talk to ya later

Old 01-22-2004, 01:47 AM   #8
    hellnheels69

hellnheels69 HB User

Sounds like your ankles aren't strong enough for running just yet. Try walking with the treadmill on an incline (uphill). Or use an elliptical machine- same workout, less stress on the feet and back. About those feet: if you're serious about running, you need a good pair of running shoes. It makes all the difference.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:49 AM   #9
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

Ok, it's a stupid question but what's a elliptical machine? And how can running uphill help? Oh what's this ankle brace thingy? Hmm.. I'll see if my mom can find something wrong with my feet, she's a family doctor but I think if there was something wrong with them she would have noticed. Or do I have to take these radiographs at the hospital?

Old 01-22-2004, 03:50 AM   #10
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

I never had trouble with running when I was a little kid, I started finding it annoying when I got about 10 (next to that I was pretty energetic and sporty though..).

Old 01-22-2004, 07:41 AM   #11
    mvp81
    (male)

mvp81 HB User

i have the same problems with the treadmill, i just use the elliptical crosstrainer, its a machine that sort of combines running, stepping, cycling into an elliptical motion. I get a fairly good workout from it, almost as good as a treadmill.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:46 AM   #12
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

The elliptical machine, is that the langlaufer? Crosstrainer? Like skiing? I always go on that thing but I don't think it's as effective as the treadmill or is it?

Old 01-22-2004, 08:08 AM   #13
    mvp81
    (male)

mvp81 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chrissy F.
    The elliptical machine, is that the langlaufer? Crosstrainer? Like skiing? I always go on that thing but I don't think it's as effective as the treadmill or is it?
    I'm not aware of the brand you mentioned. But an elliptical crosstrainer usually has arm handles that move like skiing, providing an additional workout. Look up "elliptical" on the net for more info. I think it can be just as effective as a treadmill, as in calorie burning, but personally i'm much more exhausted after using a treadmill compared to spending the same time on an elliptical.

Old 01-22-2004, 08:53 AM   #14
    Chrissy F.

Chrissy F. HB User

This is the one our gym has [url]http://www.sgma.com/press/images/1027446383-20170.jpg[/url] I think, it sure looks like it. Is that an elliptical? We also have a couple of these things with arm handles that move like skiing, but most are like this one (so the arm handle doesnt move). I like this one better because I can concentrate on my legs and not arms. And with the other you go slower or your arms get all weird.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:50 AM   #15
    mvp81
    (male)

mvp81 HB User

yes, this is an elliptical

Closed Thread