HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Exercise & Fitness (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/)
-   -   How to lose bulk? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/155897-how-lose-bulk.html)

lovethecrue 03-09-2004 11:25 AM

How to lose bulk?

I powerlifted in my early 20's. I'm now 28 and I have a bigger frame than I'd like. I tried just running this past summer. I lost 25 pounds, but I kept a good amount of muscle. I know this is an unusual question, because most guys want to gain muscle. I'm 5'10, I got down to 205, I want to be 180. I want to go from a size 46 suit to a 42 suit.

breaker44 03-09-2004 11:27 AM

Re: How to lose bulk?

[QUOTE=lovethecrue]I powerlifted in my early 20's. I'm now 28 and I have a bigger frame than I'd like. I tried just running this past summer. I lost 25 pounds, but I kept a good amount of muscle. I know this is an unusual question, because most guys want to gain muscle. I'm 5'10, I got down to 205, I want to be 180. I want to go from a size 46 suit to a 42 suit.[/QUOTE]

run aloottt

lovethecrue 03-09-2004 02:02 PM

Nobody really knows?

never2L8 03-09-2004 03:24 PM

If you're talking about losing muscle mass, you will have to cut down on calories and increase the cardio work. You don't say what sort of work you but cuitting back on any activity that involves strength would be beneficial.

lovethecrue 03-10-2004 06:00 AM

[QUOTE=never2L8]If you're talking about losing muscle mass, you will have to cut down on calories and increase the cardio work. You don't say what sort of work you but cuitting back on any activity that involves strength would be beneficial.[/QUOTE]

I'm doing 1 hour of cardio a day (running). On Tuesdays I do 6 sets of chest, 6 sets of back....15 reps. On Thursdays I do 6 sets of shoulders, 6 arms....15 reps each. Very low calorie diet.

This is my new plan, how does it sound?

I heard that you will actually lose weight a lot faster with a little bit of high rep weight lifting. I also have 40 pounds of fat I need to lose. I'm 229, my goal is 180. I'm 5'10 and 28 years old.

little_shoppe 03-10-2004 06:26 PM

You should get a body fat analysis done. This way you can get an idea of how much weight in fat you are carrying around. The electric impedence measurements are not so accurate, see if you can get a measurement with the calipers.

I suspect that at 5 10 and 205, unless you are sporting a 6pack and ripping with definition on your shoulder, chest and legs you are carrying around more fat than muscle.

Try and see how much you can squat, bench and shoulder press for 10 reps. You will probably find you are no way near as strong as you were in your early 20's.

Eat smart by reducing your caloric intake by 500 calories from maintenance level (2487 calories). BMR = 24xweight/2.2 This will enable you to lose around a pound a week if you do nothing else. 500 x 7 days = 3500 calories. 3500 calories = 1 pound DO NOT drastically reduce calories! This will cause your metabolism to slow down making it harder your you to achieve your goals. Consuming less than 1500 calories per day will slow down your metabloism.

Incorporate intense lifting 3x a week in addition to you cardio. Day 1 chest/shoulders, day 2 cardio, day 3 back/bi/tri, day 4 cardio, day 5 legs, day 6 cardio, day 7. 4 excercises per muscle group 6-10 reps. Compound excercises, don't waste time on isolation movements.

Limit your cardio to 3x week for 20-30 minutes. Otherwise, it will negate any gains made in your weight training.

The goal is to lose fat. The method is to increase metabolism by increasing muscle mass. Remember, to lose 40 pounds the right way is going to take time 8-6 weeks.

Good luck.