It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• How to strengthen vastus medialis muscle.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2004, 06:53 PM   #1
    never2L8

never2L8 HB User
    How to strengthen vastus medialis muscle.

I have patella tracking problems with my right knee and would like any exercise suggestions on how to isolate the vastus medialis (inner quad) muscle when doing leg weights to give it more strength. My feet have been diagnosed as the initial cause, my ankles rolled in due to fallen arches/flat feet and now use orthotic inserts in my shoes. I have been advised to strengthen the vastus medialis to help counteract the vastus lateralis (external quad) muscle which is pulling the patella outwards.

Any suggestions on specific exercises and variations that may help with this would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2004, 02:48 AM   #2
    Endorphin Junky
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
    Re: How to strengthen vastus medialis muscle.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by never2L8
    I have patella tracking problems with my right knee and would like any exercise suggestions on how to isolate the vastus medialis (inner quad) muscle when doing leg weights to give it more strength. My feet have been diagnosed as the initial cause, my ankles rolled in due to fallen arches/flat feet and now use orthotic inserts in my shoes. I have been advised to strengthen the vastus medialis to help counteract the vastus lateralis (external quad) muscle which is pulling the patella outwards.

Any suggestions on specific exercises and variations that may help with this would be appreciated.
    Leg Extentions will hit Vastus Medialis. It won't isolate it but the final few inches of movement as you lock your leg straight out will place most of the emphasis of the exercise on it. If you want to concentrate in the main on just vastus medialis, bring your leg up to straight on the machione and then do sets of partial reps, flexng the knee down to about 30-40 degrees from horizontal.

Old 03-15-2004, 01:12 PM   #3
    never2L8

never2L8 HB User
    Re: How to strengthen vastus medialis muscle.

I'll give that a go, raising the weight and doing the upper portion of the leg extension. My quads already get a workout but I really want to isolate the vastus medialis as I believe it will help (and they seem to be lagging behind anyway).

Closed Thread