It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• LOL Beef Jerky

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
    serialnovelist
    Inactive

serialnovelist HB User
    LOL Beef Jerky for Protein

Looks like i just found a good way to add some major extra protein to my diet and a post workout snack. Beef Jerky 12 grams of protein per serving which is always smaller than what people eat. and 96% fat free it actually says it's only got 1 gram of fat per serving lol

anyone else use Beef jerky as part of additional protein to thier diet ?

I got the big bags, the less processed, but it did give me the idea to maybe getting a dehydrator and making my OWN jerky. I just love Mesquite.

Meats is meat right ?? lol

now i just figure out why the left, which is NOT my dominate side is bigger then the right side which IS my dominate side. left bicep ? bigger. left pec? bigger. Left trapezius? bigger. doing bench presses i can tell cause when i start to get exhausted the bar will lean to the right, to my weaker side.

Last edited by serialnovelist; 06-14-2004 at 05:56 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2004, 05:28 PM   #2
    Evl316
    Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User
    Re: LOL Beef Jerky

I don't usually unless I'm travelling or desperately am in need of some food out of a vending machine. But yeah, beef jerkey is real good stuff. The stuff less processed is probably a little bit better for you though like the homemade jerkey especially venision jerkey.

Old 06-14-2004, 05:58 PM   #3
    serialnovelist
    Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Yanno i don't think i've ever had Venison Jerky, that might be quite tasty. i haven't has venison in so many years i'm trying to remember what it tastes like.
    I hate to cook after I lift weights and i just figured some beef jerky with my after workout Ensure High Protein would be helpful.

Old 06-15-2004, 05:16 AM   #4
    Laurie2
    Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Yes, beef jerky is good and now you can find Turkey jerky now. Making your own is better and less expensive in the long run.

Why your none dominate Left is stronger? Depends. I know people who are righthanded when writing but use their left more for other things. My husband is a blacksmith and holds his tongs/cranks with his left while hammering with his right. Certain muscles will be more developed in one arm more than the other because of this. Our son has discovered this after helping his father out in the shop for the past six years (when not at school).

I am righthanded and, over the past nearly two years, my left has finally caught up with my right in strength while lifting. But there are still some exercises, like benching, where there a slight difference is felt....but nothing near as when I first started. In other exercises, the balance is the same.

However with some exercises, I can push a couple of more reps with my left than with my normally stronger right. While with others, there is still a couple of reps lag. Part of this is from working with an old left RC injury (not from lifting).

So whatever you are doing in life outside of the gym, may be why your left side is more developed....despite being righthanded.

Old 06-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
    mjmaciver
    Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

Well, perhaps the Protein, Carbs and Fat look good, but did anyone take a look at the salt content?

talk to ya later

Old 06-15-2004, 05:34 PM   #6
    serialnovelist
    Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

460 Mg , Yikes So i take it a lot of salt is bad for you ?

Old 06-16-2004, 09:53 AM   #7
    ducttape1000
    Inactive
    (female)

ducttape1000 HB User

beef jerky is my absolute favorite. i would eat it 24/7 if it werent so expensive!! i have a food dehydrator which i use to dehydrate fruit. i havent tried beef yet. maybe we can share tips! what grade beef should i use??

Old 06-16-2004, 10:59 AM   #8
    Evl316
    Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by serialnovelist
    460 Mg , Yikes So i take it a lot of salt is bad for you ?
    Too much of anything is bad for you. Sodium comes in our diet mainly from processed foods (jerkey being one example) and from any salt we add to food. Daily intake of sodium between 1,100 and 3,300 mg is considered safe and adequate. The average american is said to consume 2,500 to 5,000 mg of sodium a day. Too much sodium can be tough on the kidneys (as can be too much of anything) and can lead to high blood pressure thus leading to kidney or heart disease or a stroke. On the other hand sodium is needed to regulate fluid balance, muscle contraction, and conduction of nerve impulses. Personally I don't worry about my sodium intake and I never, ever add salt to anything because we get plenty of sodium just from the food we eat daily assuming you eat some processed foods which we all pretty much do.

Closed Thread