It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Cardio on an empty stomach?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-28-2005, 05:29 PM   #1
    bluehen94
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

bluehen94 HB User
    Cardio on an empty stomach?

I have always believed the way to burn the most fat is to do cardio first thing on an empty stomach. However, recently I have been seeing an exercise physiologist who says you should always eat a little something before doing cardio because if your body has no source of energy to pull from it attacks the muscle first and thus you end up breaking down your muscle. Which can cause injury and overall muscle loss. Anyone know which way is best?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2005, 07:25 AM   #2
    Naxis
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Naxis HB User
    Re: Cardio on an empty stomach?

Personally, I recommend an empty stomach so long as you arent going over 45-60 minutes. You body will use fat preferentially if there is no blood sugar available (from food). And while there is some risk of losing a *little* muscle, as long as the rest of your diet is good and you eat right afterward, the risk is really negligible when compared to the fat loss.

Old 01-29-2005, 09:25 AM   #3
    BostonGirl44
    Senior Veteran

BostonGirl44 HB User

I always wondered about this too. I've done my morning workouts on an empty stomach and not on an empty stomach. Usually I'll have a small bowl of cereal with milk but I prefer going on an empty stomach.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #4
    Jogaholic
    (female)

Jogaholic HB User

I've heard both positives and negatives about exercising on an empty stomach. I've done both and personally, I need a little something if I'm going over 30 minutes otherwise I completely run out of energy. Usually I'll split my workout into two segments - like weight lifting/stationary bike for about 20 min, then eat something, then do some running. Of course, you should always refuel after a good workout too. This should help to prevent muscle loss and recharges your metabolism too.

Closed Thread