It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Very Strange Muscle?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-28-2005, 10:11 PM   #1
    cowgirl2703
    (female)

cowgirl2703 HB User
    Very Strange Muscle?

Okay, I'm not sure whats going on with me but I am hoping someone here has some idea. I first want to say that I have gone to my doctor and gotten an ultrasound of this area and nothing was found. Here goes. A few years ago, I noticed that when I coughed extra hard or I was using my upper stomach muscles to lift my upper body up into sitting position after laying down, a muscle or something else would painfully stick out underneath the right side of my rib cage. It was about an inch and a half long and a half inch vertically and after I relaxed my upper stomach muscle, it would kind of pulsate back down. Yea, really weird. So, then I noticed about a year ago, that when I would do certain crunches, it would do it again, leaving me limited to what ab work I could do. Does anyone have any ideas what this strange thing might be? Could it be weak muscles? I just have no idea. I'm hoping that losing weight and strengthening other parts of my body will help to be able to do my normal crunches again. Those are one of my favorite exercises and I hate to be unable to do them. Plus, I've got to get rid of my current belly shape from having two kids. Any ideas or theories are welcome. Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User
    Re: Very Strange Muscle?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cowgirl2703
    Okay, I'm not sure whats going on with me but I am hoping someone here has some idea. I first want to say that I have gone to my doctor and gotten an ultrasound of this area and nothing was found. Here goes. A few years ago, I noticed that when I coughed extra hard or I was using my upper stomach muscles to lift my upper body up into sitting position after laying down, a muscle or something else would painfully stick out underneath the right side of my rib cage. It was about an inch and a half long and a half inch vertically and after I relaxed my upper stomach muscle, it would kind of pulsate back down. Yea, really weird. So, then I noticed about a year ago, that when I would do certain crunches, it would do it again, leaving me limited to what ab work I could do. Does anyone have any ideas what this strange thing might be? Could it be weak muscles? I just have no idea. I'm hoping that losing weight and strengthening other parts of my body will help to be able to do my normal crunches again. Those are one of my favorite exercises and I hate to be unable to do them. Plus, I've got to get rid of my current belly shape from having two kids. Any ideas or theories are welcome. Thanks!!
    Do you know what is in the right upper quadrant of your abdominal area just underneath the rib cage? Your liver! A doctor can palpitate (feel) that area for your liver by pushing down and just under your rib cage. This is just an idea but, in your case, it is possible you are feeling a slight protrusion of the liver there due to your pregnancies causing a weak spot in your abdominal muscles. It's probably nothing to worry about but just to be safe I would have a doctor check that out. I'm really curious about this, let me know what you find out.

Last edited by CFD 333; 03-01-2005 at 04:37 PM.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:47 AM   #3
    cowgirl2703
    (female)

cowgirl2703 HB User

I will, but it might be awhile. My doctor didn't seem too concerned about it and I never got to talk to her about it after my ultra-sound. But I thought it might be because of weak muscle there too. Plus I have hypothyroidism and didn't know for about a year. I gained 20 lbs and was so tired everyday that I stopped exercising completely. My thyroid levels are now under control and in the proper range and my energy is almost completely back so I am now starting an exercise program. So, hopefully, this problem will go away the stonger I get. I also have that separation of the abdominal walls that some women get from pregnancy. Any special exercise moves for this particular thing that you know about? I go back to the doctor in May, so I will talk to her about it then and then let you know. Thanks.

Old 03-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
    CFD 333
    Inactive
    (male)

CFD 333 HB User

I found this information from another member. It is taken directly from a prenatal course that she took through AFAA.

Check for diastasis (abdominal wall separation):
    1. have client lie on back with knees bent.
    2. Gently but firmly place one to two fingers perpendicular to the linea alba at a 90 degree angle to the abdomen, approximately one to two inches below the navel.
    3. As the client slowly raises her head and shoulders, check to see how many fingers you can insert into the gap. You may observe a bulge in the central abdominal area as the head and shoulders are raised.

--a one half to one finger separation is considered normal.

-if there is a separation of two fingers, eliminate oblique work involving extreme trunk roation, and splint the muscles by crossing the hands over the abdominal area. Slowly raise the head and exhale. Do not elevate the shoulders or raise the head to the point where the bulge disappears.

-If there is a separation of three fingers, eliminate head raises and do not do leg lowering type of exercises. Do abdominal contractions with outward breaths and pelvic tilts using the abdominal muscles to tilt the pelvis in various positions (supine, standing).

I hope this helps, however, make sure you check with a doc first before doing any exercises.

Closed Thread