HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Exercise & Fitness (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/)
-   -   brewers yeast (and other stuff). (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/exercise-fitness/258696-brewers-yeast-other-stuff.html)

ratboy83 03-03-2005 02:06 AM

brewers yeast (and other stuff).

anyone tried taking brewers yeast in a drink before working out? its full of minerals, b-vitamins (except B-12) and protein. i felt so up for it after just 15g. i put it in raw juice i'd made myself (carrots, apples, ginger, celery, cucumber)- i reckon this contributed to my energy burst. also 5g of spirulina in the juice too (very rich in B-12) i then burnt stimulating essential oils. i say sod creatine for improved performance, this combo had me as strong as an ox!!!! :D people dig the feed????? :cool:

alex.

Naxis 03-03-2005 08:09 AM

Re: brewers yeast (and other stuff).

I always put brewers yeast into my protein shakes. B12 has been shown to increase performance, though results are varied by individual. Although it wasn't the only contributing factor, adding yeast to my diet I think did help me bust through my plateau when my lifts last increased. I'm a fan.

Hitmen 03-03-2005 06:01 PM

I know it's great and all but I hear it tastes terrible. I have a problem eating/drinking things that taste terrible no matter how good they are for you. Is the taste really that bad?

Naxis 03-03-2005 06:45 PM

It's not that bad, but if you're looking for something that tastes *good* you'll be disappointed. I get "de-bittered", so Im guessing it's less bad than it could be. I actually enjoy the taste, but it could be one of those "acquired" tastes. In smaller portions it wouldn't be so noticeable, like one serving divided into 2+ protein shakes.

DMN 03-04-2005 04:30 AM

[QUOTE=Naxis]It's not that bad, but if you're looking for something that tastes *good* you'll be disappointed. I get "de-bittered", so Im guessing it's less bad than it could be. I actually enjoy the taste, but it could be one of those "acquired" tastes. In smaller portions it wouldn't be so noticeable, like one serving divided into 2+ protein shakes.[/QUOTE]

Does Brewers Yeast do anything for the metabolism?

--
John

Hitmen 03-04-2005 07:31 AM

thanks, I'll probably pick some up and try it for myself. by the way, do you think the taste would be less noticeable mixed in a protein shake or in orange juice?

Naxis 03-04-2005 08:25 AM

I always put it in my protein shake and the flavor of the protein mixes pretty ok. I dunno how it would fare in combination with citrus. How about YOU try it and let ME know. ;) Worst case scenario, you can hold your nose and chug it down. Just kidding. I can't imagine it would be THAT bad.

One more note: it also comes in tablet form, fairly inexpensively. They have 1g tablets, and 15 of them will equal about 1 Tbsp of the powder. It sounds like a lot to me (probably a lot of filler) but if the taste is a problem, you have another option at least. And can take several doses throughout the day if need be. Just a thought.

Hitmen 03-06-2005 12:16 PM

Hmm I think I'll pass on the 15-a-day brewer's yeast tablets... :)