It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

• Why am I not losing the belly fat?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2005, 09:39 AM   #1
    vatony
    (male)

vatony HB User
    Why am I not losing the belly fat?

About 2 1/2 years ago I injured my back and stopped all exercising. I also pretty much ignored my diet. Last July I had an operation to unclog an artery. It was a complete success, and a wake-up call. I quit smoking, changed my diet and started a regular exercise program (in my home, I'm not one to join gyms). After seven months I feel great, and my last heart exam was excellent, however... When I started the program I weighed 232 lb. with a 46 inch waist. This morning, after seven months, I weigh 229 lbs. with a 44 inch waist. I am more interested in trimming the belly fat (to 38-40 in) than losing weight. BTW I am 66 years old, 6' 1", work at a "deskk job", and take some medications prescribed after the operation, along with Zinc and Magnesium supplements.

My daily diet is around 2000 calories:

Breakfast: cereal (usually Cheerios and lowfat/skim milk)
    cup of coffee
    Mid-morning: Cup of coffee
    fig bar
    Lunch: Tuna fish
    2 slices wheat bread
    1 slice cheese
    some pretzels
    iced tea
    fruit
    Dinner: Prepared by my wife, usually from some diet book
    Evening snack: protein shake, soy based (lactose intolerent)
    occasionally peanut butter on wheat bread

Exercise: Every day before breakfast 5 minutes wind sprints on treadmill.
    Every other day, before dinner, about a dozen exercises, 15 reps, with 15 lb dumbells.
    5-6 days a week, about an hour after dinner, 20 minutes on sationary bicycle, moderate speed and resistance, then 20 minutes on treadmill -- 10 minutes slow, 5 minutes fast, 5 minutes "wind sprints".

So how come I'm not losing weight and losing more fat around the belly? Any opinions will be appreciated.

Last edited by vatony; 03-05-2005 at 10:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    Re: Why am I not losing the belly fat?

You cannot target the place where you choose to lose fat. You cannot just try to lose fat in the tummy area. Either you lose it all over or you don't. The tummy goes down with the rest of the body when you lose fat. There are many diets out there but the main key point in all of them is you need to expend more calories then you take in. Try cutting your calories to 1500 a day. If you are not losing weight by taking in 2000 calories a day then that means that it is too many calories. As we get older our bodies naturally burn less calories. So what may work in our younger years may not when we get older. Do not go lower then 1500 though. That is a good calorie amount a person should be taking in when trying to lose weight. Also you need to gain more musce. Do more weight lifting. Do not try to go heavy or anything. You need to work our your legs with weights and do bench pressing. The more muscle a person has on there body the more calories are burned even just sitting in a chair. It takes energy for the body to maintain muscle and that energy comes from the calories in our food so the calories would be burned up quicker and you would lose weight. If there was a number one thing I would recommend for someone in losing weight is doing weight lifting, resistance training. Keep up with the bike and treadmill also.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
    JinL
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User
    Re: Why am I not losing the belly fat?

Good job on losing weight.

Have you had your hormones checked.

Low Testosterone & high estrogenE2 can cause fat gain and slow muscle growth as well as about a dozen other problems.

At your age you may need a complete male/female hormone work-up.

Good luck,

Closed Thread