It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Question about weightlifting

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2005, 11:23 PM   #1
MikaelasMommy
(female)

MikaelasMommy HB User
Question Question about weightlifting

I'm currently just doing cardio. I walk 5-6 times a week for about 40-45 minutes carrying 1.5 weights. I want to incorporate some weightlifting into my routine because I know that it's great for toning and burns calories 24 hrs a day. I recently purchased a home gym and am eager to use it. My question is, how many times a week and for how long a day should I weighttrain? And what exercises should I do? Which ones are the most effective for burning fat and toning? I'm currently eating low carb/low fat. But I am NOT doing the Atkins. I'm mainly not eating white refined carbs and staying away from fried foods and sweets. If I stick with this and do the cardio plus the weightlifting, can I see results pretty soon? I want to lose at least 30 lbs.

Thank you,
MikaelasMommy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Question about weightlifting

It's all about calories. Cutting out junk is great, but even too much healthy food will keep you fat, so just watch portions.
If you want to incorperate weight training, you need to find exercises you can do for each muscle group. Things like presses and rows work several of them (chest/triceps and back/biceps respectively). There are many websites out there that can give you pictures and details for numerous exercises using the equipment you have. Start with twice a week doing a full body workout. One exercise per muscle group, 3 sets per exercise using a weight that you can do 10-12 reps per set with. The last rep should be pretty tough or you're weight is too light. How long it will take to see weight loss is kind of hard to say, but you should be aware that if you start using weights you may not see weight loss right away because you'll be adding some lean muscle mass, but you will be getting *leaner* in the process. So ignore the scale for a while. Your clothes will be looser even if the scale doesn't move.

Old 05-14-2005, 12:46 PM   #3
Jennita
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naxis
It's all about calories. Cutting out junk is great, but even too much healthy food will keep you fat, so just watch portions.
If you want to incorperate weight training, you need to find exercises you can do for each muscle group. Things like presses and rows work several of them (chest/triceps and back/biceps respectively). There are many websites out there that can give you pictures and details for numerous exercises using the equipment you have. Start with twice a week doing a full body workout. One exercise per muscle group, 3 sets per exercise using a weight that you can do 10-12 reps per set with. The last rep should be pretty tough or you're weight is too light. How long it will take to see weight loss is kind of hard to say, but you should be aware that if you start using weights you may not see weight loss right away because you'll be adding some lean muscle mass, but you will be getting *leaner* in the process. So ignore the scale for a while. Your clothes will be looser even if the scale doesn't move.
This seems to be very true....I've lost 20 lbs, want to lose 20 more but in this last month I haven't lost squat. But the pants are falling down????

Old 05-14-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
Gutter9
(male)

Gutter9 HB User

I totally agree with Naxis, the only thing i would say differently is after you have started off, workout 5 days a week 45-60 mins a day; mon, wed, and fri desinate to upper body and tue and thurs lower or vice versa whatever you feel needs more of a tone.

Closed Thread