It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Exercise + diet to bulk up a little?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
schism
(male)

schism HB User
Exercise + diet to bulk up a little?

I'm a 17 year old male. 5'7" 125 lbs. I want to bulk up a little to fill myself in and not look so skinny, but I don't want to look all bulky either. I was thinking I would do cardio one day then weight train the next and alternate that throughout the week taking Sunday off. Anything wrong with that plan? I've never done weight training before, so what kind of weight training should I do to achieve my goal? Would I alternate between lower/upper body workouts on my weight training days? I'm eating lots of veggies right now, but not much protein which I know I'm going to have to start doing... where should I get my protein and just how much do I need? Anything else I need to eat/not eat? Lastly... approx. how long do you think it will take to reach my goal (I know it all depends on ME, but you've gotta have a rough estimate!).

Thanks a bunch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2005, 06:40 AM   #2
kellibean
(female)

kellibean HB User
Re: Exercise + diet to bulk up a little?

Nutrition is going to be a big factor in achieving your goals. In order to gain weight to fill out and supply the body with enough fuel to aid in muscular development, you will need to create a positive calorie balance. You will have to ensure you are eating 5 - 6 times a day (snacks and meals) and have those spaced out every 3-4 hrs. That doesn't mean eating everything under the sun either, you will need to maintain sensible eating habits.

Protein sources - beans, nuts, lentils, dairy products, lean meats and fish are all sources of protein. Do a search online and you will find plenty. As far as protein powder - there are several on the market that meet your goals of wanting to increase your muscle mass. One that comes to mind is called Mammoth, and is fantastic for those individuals looking to put on weight.

Your strength training regime should follow mostly isolated movements, as opposed to compound movements, as this type of movement/exercise will allow you to sculpt and define your body while building muscle - as opposed to bulking up. If you have a gym membership I suggest you see a Personal Trainer for about 6 - 10 sessions so that they can design a proper program for you based on your needs. Their expertise will help you fast track your results and ensure you are performing proper technique and form.

Last edited by kellibean; 05-21-2005 at 06:41 AM.

Closed Thread