It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

All this work and my waist is coming back

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2005, 09:27 AM   #1
Gainup
(female)

Gainup HB User
Angry All this work and my waist is coming back

Hi all,

I need to vent about my waist line. 8 months ago I lost a bunch of weight because I was sick. After I got better I started doing Bikram Yoga on a daily basis and managed to keep off most of the weight I lost. I'm 5'8 and was about 155 pounds, now I'm down to 145 pounds. After a while I looked great, so I was told. I was able to buy smaller jeans and could really feel a difference. Lately though my clothes are getting tighter and I'm worried that I'm going back to my old body. I haven't changed anything that much, still doing the yoga 4-5 days a week. I've only slowed down the yoga because of pain in my shoulder. Now that it's summer, I have been mountain biking and hiking.

Any ideas on why this might be happening? Is it my metabolism?

Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
phillydude

phillydude HB User
Re: All this work and my waist is coming back

If you did not change your exercise levels, most likely the answer is in your diet. I highly doubt your metabolism would come into play for "slight" (10 pounds or less) variations in weight. My guess is that as you maintained your weight loss, you started to allow yourself to slip a little bit on what you eat. Combine that with the fact that your body will get accustomed to a certain level of exercise, and you won't continue to lose... you'll probably gain. My advice would be to take a good look at what you are eating, both from an overall caloric standpoint as well as a nutrient standpoint, make adjustments to that as necessary (believe it or not, you may not be eating ENOUGH), and perhaps tweak your exercise program a little (maybe try some light cardio or pilates). Hope this helps... post up if you have further questions.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #3
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

If you want a diet critique, post an average day's diet as precisely as you can. What foods, how much and time of day. I agree that it's the most likely cause of a backslide.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:44 PM   #4
Gainup
(female)

Gainup HB User

Ok, an average day. If I go to morning yoga I don't eat breakfast. If I do eat breakfast it's 2 pieces of toast with peanutbutter. Lunch is probably a bagel sandwich or turkey sandwich of some sort. I'm trying to do fruit for snacks and dinner is usually a meat/veggie/rice type thing. I think one of my problems is now that it's summer, my husband and I are enjoying a beer here and there. Also, my brother visits a lot and there is eating and drinking.

I feel like I don't eat too much during the day, but I'm thinking I'm overdoing the social eating and drinking.

Old 05-25-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Very probable. If you want to get a good gauge on exactly what kind of damage it may be doing, write down everything that you eat each day for a week or two and then figure out the calorie content. (The USDA website has a ton of nutritional/calorie info for food that does not come in labled packages). It sounds like kind of a pain, but seeing the actual number might help you get a grip on where the problem lies and what needs to be changed.

Old 05-26-2005, 11:34 PM   #6
Gainup
(female)

Gainup HB User

Hi Phillydude,

One thing that is strange is that my weight isn't going up, but my clothes are getting tighter. Maybe it's water gain? Maybe it's because I'm pushing 40 and I am in denial about the changes in my body?

It's all very frustrating

Old 05-27-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
phillydude

phillydude HB User

There's no law that says as you approach 40 your body will change... it won't unless you let it. So that's not an excuse.

If you are not gaining weight but your clothes are tighter, it might be water retention... or my guess, beer retention. I know that if I drink a few beers, the next day I really do look and feel "bloated." Of course, that doesn't STOP me from drinking a few beers now and again... it's just reassuring to know what the cause is. Probably no need to freak out about it... the more "hardcore" among us would say "Cut out the beer!" but I'd say "Enjoy!"

Have a happy holiday weekend!

Old 05-27-2005, 09:30 AM   #8
southjerseymom
(female)

southjerseymom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydude
There's no law that says as you approach 40 your body will change... it won't unless you let it. So that's not an excuse.

If you are not gaining weight but your clothes are tighter, it might be water retention... or my guess, beer retention. I know that if I drink a few beers, the next day I really do look and feel "bloated." Of course, that doesn't STOP me from drinking a few beers now and again... it's just reassuring to know what the cause is. Probably no need to freak out about it... the more "hardcore" among us would say "Cut out the beer!" but I'd say "Enjoy!"

Have a happy holiday weekend!
I have to disagree with phillydude on his first point. Your body DOES change as you age, thanks to hormones. I will be 37 in a couple of weeks and I just learned that I have entered perimenopause. What's frustrating is that no matter how hard I exercise and eat well, the weight is settling in my abdominal area. I still wear the same size but my shape is changing. Good book to read is called "Outsmarting the Mid-life Fat Cell" by Debra Waterhouse, M.P.H., R. D.. Even though I've always been in good shape and eat well, I have to change my exercise routine periodically and eat differently in order to avoid "mid-life spread". It's frustrating but it's very real.

Old 05-27-2005, 10:12 AM   #9
Jess75
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Gainup, do you do any cardio? I do agree that our bodies do change as we get older, but as Phil said, if you let it. Yes, our metabolism slow down and we do experience(women in particular) hormone fluctuations, but that could be altered and modifed by good dieting and I guess more exercise, like you said. I guess my point is, a little more harder work. I'm approaching 30 and I KNOW that my body isn't the same, or as easy to mantain for when I was 23!

Last edited by Jess75; 05-27-2005 at 10:15 AM.

Old 05-27-2005, 12:49 PM   #10
southjerseymom
(female)

southjerseymom HB User
Smile Re: All this work and my waist is coming back

Gainup, I want to try and briefly explain why it's harder for women in their mid 30s + to hold on to their figures despite exercise and proper eating. As we "mature", our estrogen levels dip and our fat cells begin to take over the job of our ovaries. The fat cells surrounding the liver and adrenal glands are in a prime location because all the necessary factors are present to produce estrogen. The fat cells divide and get larger. The abdominal weight gain is a by product of your fat cells providing a natural source of estrogen.Dieting (by this I mean an unrealisticly low amount of calories) will only cause your fat cells to store more fat and hang on to it with dear life rather than releasing it. EXERCISE is very important for everybody especially perimenopausal women. But be realisitic. It's unlikely at 40 to have the same figure as a 25 year old. Seeing the physical results of our exercising takes longer to show Look around ( don't include "mature" celebrities, they're not "real"). We come in different shapes and sizes. Very few older women are blessed with "tiny" figures. Change in shape is inevitable. That doesn't mean to give up and become a couch potato. Cardio, strength- training, and weight bearing exercises along with healthy eating are key to being in shape as we (gulp) journey into the second half of our lives. You might want to check out the Menopause Board and commiserate.

Old 05-28-2005, 07:35 AM   #11
phillydude

phillydude HB User

<<It's unlikely at 40 to have the same figure as a 25 year old. Seeing the physical results of our exercising takes longer to show Look around ( don't include "mature" celebrities, they're not "real").>>

And here's where I'll disagree with you, SouthJerseyMom.

My wife was a size 8 when she was 25. And now at 40, AFTER the birth of two children, she's a size 2. She's only been "watching what she eats" for about a year, and she's only been "going to the gym" for six months.

And as far as celebrities go... why are they any different? It's not like appearing in a movie or on TV or having a record deal changes your metabolism. They just work hard to get in shape and stay in shape.

Old 05-28-2005, 07:49 AM   #12
sean
Senior Veteran
(male)

sean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB Usersean HB User

Hi Gainup,

From what you wrote your daily intake looks very heavy on the simple carbs. You needn't be a Low-carber" to benefit from a shift to more proteins and leafy vegetables, salad, and so on. Beer is a waistline killer--sorry about that, but it's true for almost all of us--if not in college, then increasingly so as we get older.

Breakfast especially should be higher protein, and especially on days when you expet to exercise, even if it's just bikram. Most of the weight loss research shows that kicking up your metabolism with a protein breakfast helps lose or maintain weight, and helps preserve muscle and organ tissue so that if or when you do lose, it is truly fat tissue that is lost.

One other annoying detail: as we lose weight our bodies actually need fewer calories to function, keep up normal body temp, etc.--it's a calories-needed-per-pound--of-body-weight thing. So, we must increase the exercise, or continue to refine our diets, or both, to keep our progress or to build on it. This is one of the reasons so many diets "fail": the dieter is never told that once he or she is smaller, the old ways of eating will ensure re-gaining. Ensure it. You must adapt your daily life, eating exercise and all, to a lower calorie requirement, or it all comes back.

sean

Last edited by sean; 05-28-2005 at 07:52 AM.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:44 AM   #13
Gainup
(female)

Gainup HB User

Wow, such great advice. Thanks everyone!! Phillydude, your wife is very lucky to have had her body get better looking, even after kids. I haven't had kids and probably won't so I won't have that struggle. Now that it's summer, my cardio is bumping up. I mountain bike quite a bit and still do my Bikram. Also, the beer retention comment is right on. I guess I'll just have to keep tabs on my beer drinking, just a few a week or so.

Thanks gain for all your advice, very helpfull. I'm off to have breakfast.

ps, I have to agree that famous people really aren't real. They can afford personal trainers and chefs and their job (all that $$$$$$) depends on how fabulous they look.

Closed Thread