It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Gym Research??

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
stuckmissy
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User
Gym Research??

I'm going to visit some local gyms..problem is i don't know what i should be looking for..cost..help..etc..I haven't been to a gym in years and i mean years! The few times i have gone in the past i was very uncomfortable..intimidated would suit. I want to get over it and "just do it". Anyway i'm not very strong..very wimpy really. I'm wonder what others who do go to the gym look for and what is most important to them. I get nervous with all the muscle guys standing around the machines. (machines by the way i don't know how to use)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 02:47 PM   #2
dg456
(male)

dg456 HB User
Re: Gym Research??

Here are a few things to look for:

-Hours: Make sure the gym you like has hours that work with your schedule. The gym I go to now used to be open 24 hours 6 days a week, and 10 hours on Sunday. They just recently cut back their hours drastically, with pretty much no notice...enough to make me consider changing gyms.

-Classes: Many gyms offer free classes. If you are interested in aerobics, spinning, etc., look for a gym that offers these for no additional fee. Also, some gyms offer free personal training sessions to help you set up a workout routine, and to teach you how to use the machines you don't know how to use!

-Cleanliness/Amenities: Make sure you check out the locker/shower facilities. Also make sure the equipment looks up to date. Some places have features like individual audio/video at each piece of cardio equipment - very convenient.

-Cost: To me this is least important, because many of the other factors above will determine the cost. I'm willing to pay more for a nice, clean, modern gym. Also, this is generally a function of where you live. My fiance's parents live in upstate NY and there is local price war going on between the gyms. Most of the gyms in the area are less than $20/month now. Also ask about contract terms - many places require a commitment of at least a year. Some gyms have referal programs where you get monthly discounts for getting friends to join, or programs where you pay less if family members/spouses join.

As far as being intimidated, I know how you feel - I was pretty intimidated when I first started working out. But it seems to me that most people are paying much less attention to others than they are to their own workout. Most people are there to make themselves look/feel better, and are happy to see other people with the same goals - regardless of how close they are to reaching those goals. You shouldn't feel intimidated, but keep in mind that some gyms are geared more towards powerlifting and bodybuilding, and others more towards general fitness. Also - I'm assuming by your name that you're female - you might consider a women-only gym if makes you feel more comfortable.

Hope this helps - good luck!

Old 05-25-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
stuckmissy
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User
Re: Gym Research??

Thanks a bunch!

Closed Thread