It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

Fat? Bloating? Anyone?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-25-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
Goya123
(female)

Goya123 HB User
Fat? Bloating? Anyone?

Okay, I've asked this question before, I believe, on the Diet & Nutrition board and perhaps even a longer time before that on the Weight Loss board, and I have still not really found an answer.

How can I tell if this little belly pooch is fat or bloating or something else? I'm thin everywhere except my lower stomach area (well, still relatively thin there, too, I suppose, but it's just larger). If I turn to the side and look in the mirror this is what I see: very little fat over the ribcage (can see a bit of definition of the bones), a slight dip and then a bulge that peaks about an inch below my belly button and slopes back down. If I flex my abdominals, my stomach flattens almost entirely.

It's not that big of a deal, but I would appreciate a flat stomach, and I imagine it would be helpful to know what problem is before I try to solve it.

Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Fat? Bloating? Anyone?

If you're female, you probably have the fairly common 'pooch' which is nature's protective fat over the reproductive organs. Bloating would look more pot-bellied. The unfortunate thing about this little fat pocket is that it is resistant to burning because of high amounts of Alpha 2 receptors which means that the body deliberately tries to hang onto these pockets no mater what. If you try to use diet and exercise to lose the pooch, be very careful not to get dangerously or unhealthfully lean (hard or impossible to maintain and will lead to yo-yo dieting effect) as it sounds that everywhere else on your body you are quite lean already. Short of surgery, it can be nearly impossible to lose it altogether.

Old 05-26-2005, 04:53 AM   #3
SaabGirl
(female)

SaabGirl HB User

This is an interesting topic because I have always wondered this myself. I know I have some water weight at times, because some mornings I seem thinner than others. Naxis, could you be more specific regarding "potbellied?" Where would that be evident?

Old 05-26-2005, 07:30 AM   #4
SammyT
Senior Veteran
(female)

SammyT HB User

i have the same thing.

Old 05-26-2005, 12:13 PM   #5
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

The kind of bloating Im talking about is less water weight, more food-in-the-guts type. Water weight is held just under the skin and makes your whole body a little extra 'puffy'. Dropping sodium and increasing your water intake will help you to shed water weight within a day or so.
If you what you have been eating is not working its way through your gi tract very well, it can make just your gut stick out in a distended sort of way. It's not flabby, but just more of a fullness that's kind of hard to suck in. Adding fiber, increasing protein, minimizing/eliminating dairy and such can help reduce this.

Closed Thread