It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

individual amino-acids question????

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-27-2005, 06:45 AM   #1
ratboy83
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
individual amino-acids question????

i know that taking them on an empty stomach and without protein helps their absorption. my question is that does taking more than one individual amino-acid at once count as taking either one with protein? i know that taking L-arginine with L-ornithine is advisable as they work synergestically and they are often sold together in the same produc; but, if for example if i was to take L-arginine with L-phenylaline would that affect the absorption of either of them compared to taking to taking them at separate times? would it make them less effective in any way?

also, does 5-HTP count as an amino acid, or is it classed in a different way because it is made from an amino acid (tryptophan)? in the same vein, L-theanine is a non-protein amino acid, so does that mean that is classed in a different way?

this may sound like a load of unnecessary technical mumbo-jumbo but i don't wanna waste my money. any help would be greatly appreciated.

alex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Naxis
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: individual amino-acids question????

Why would you take free aminos anyway? Complete proteins are much more useful to the body. But to answer your questions, taking multiple free aminos is not the same as taking them with protein. If you take, say L-arginine with a protein it is now competing with it's brother from the protein for use in the body. If you take L-arginine and L-phenylaline, there is no competition.
Technically, 5-HTP is an amino acid, althugh I don't imagine that it would cause any conflict with proteins taken since it is resultant FROM tryptophan, but I'm not positive about that. L-theanine is an amino too, but it doesn't really have a different "classification" just because it is not part of proteins. It's just got a different job in the body and is not really necessary due to its extremely limited natural production and function.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:13 AM   #3
ratboy83
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: individual amino-acids question????

cheers for the info. taking phennylaline individually i find keeps me mentally alert. i do feel alert after a protein based meal but, like you said, protein synthesis occurs so the phennylaline is used for that instead. taking individualy ensures i get a burst of nor-adrenaline to rival the alertness of a retired ladies coffee morning!!

alex.

Closed Thread