It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

New exercise program for me

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #1
perkinssl
(female)

perkinssl HB User
New exercise program for me

Hi everyone, I am new to this board.

I have just started a new exercise program today and I am very excited about losing weight. I am 148 5'5" to 5'6" and I would like to get down to about 135. I joined the local gym and spoke with a trainer to plan a routine to see results.

I was told to do 10 mins of cardio to begin my workout on a certain machine, I cannot remember the name but it looks kind of like a precor machine(elliptical). Then there are weights called free motion which I am to do each machine for 15 reps at a certain weight( these are suppose to work like every muscle in your body. Next I am to do 10 mins on a treadmill and then 10 mins on any machine (cardio) of my choice. So I am at the gym for about 1 hour. He told me to do this every other day for 6 weeks.

I would like to know how long before I should start seeing results from this exercise plan. I will also be eating healthier along with exercise.

Any input would be great! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2005, 11:23 AM   #2
Dexter77
(male)

Dexter77 HB User
Re: New exercise program for me

Assuming you have not exercised before, you will see some results after your sixth week. But only if you eat properly meaning emphasizing lean protein, complex carbs, and healthy fats.

What I would do differently with regards to your workout is that I would not train each muscle group every training day because it may lead to overtraining and lack of recovery time. Also I would do 20 min cardio, after weight session, on the same machine instead of splitting your time between two, because in this way you have a greater chance to burn bodyfat.

Old 06-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #3
frustrated35
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

I agree! You must make sure you are not overeating and eating healthy. Watch your portions and eat balanced meals. I'm not sure where your trainer is going with that type of workout, but my trainer doesn't have me moving from free motion machine back to cardio. I do my resistance training 3x/week with cardio immediately after for 30-45 min on the elliptical or treadmill (walk a lap/jog a lap). On days that I don't do my resistance training, I'll go in and just do cardio. I always take a day off to rest. Of course sometimes I can't keep up this schedule because I'm out of town on business, but you get the idea....Good luck!

Old 06-02-2005, 03:22 PM   #4
perkinssl
(female)

perkinssl HB User

Thanks for the input. I wanted to get some feedback on this plan because it did not seem right to me.

Your ideas seem better! I think I will try and do resistance 3 times a week and then cardio and on the days I do not go, just do cardio. I love doing cardio anyways so this should not be a problem.

How long should I spend in the gym on daily basis if I want to see results? I am planning on sticking to this!

And adding lean protein to my meal, is it good to drink protein shakes as part of my diet?

Thanks a lot

Old 06-02-2005, 05:59 PM   #5
frustrated35
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

Depends on your goals....I'm female (35 yr old, 5'5" and 135 lbs) I am pretty much where I want to be (size 6p), but could definitely use more toning and lean muscle mass. I have 25% body fat and would like to be at maybe 22-23% if it looks ok. So, I do resistance training for an hour (I can get in about 8-10 different things) and then do 30-45 min of cardio. On days I just do cardio I'm there for 45 min.

I get my protein from egg whites, chicken and tuna. Also created this protein shake by blending 2 scoops of the designer whey protein from GNC, 1 cup of ice, 1/4 cup of Minute Maid Light OJ, light Yogurt or just strawberries, but I usually drink this after my workouts. My trainer told me my protein intake should match my lean muscle mass weight. I have 102 pounds of lean muscle mass and therefore should have at least 102g of protein each day. Seems to work for me, but I'd check with your trainer first. He or she should be able to tell you what your body fat% is as well as take measurements to find how much of your weight is lean mass & how much is fat mass. Let me know how you're doing!

Old 06-02-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
perkinssl
(female)

perkinssl HB User

Thanks so much! I will keep you posted
I think I am going to try a different trainer because I'm not sure if the one I have now is starting me on the right track.

Last edited by perkinssl; 06-02-2005 at 06:49 PM.

Old 06-02-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
frustrated35
Inactive
(female)

frustrated35 HB User

OH!! one more thing....I also do a warm up before my resistance training and on days I just do cardio. My warm up consists of 5 min on the upright bike. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2005, 08:37 AM   #8
perkinssl
(female)

perkinssl HB User

Thanks for all your suggestions!

I have been working out everyday as of last week and I feel great! I actually do not hurt as bad as I usually do today after doing strength training yesterday!

I was able to do a full 40 min cardio work out today and I feel so good about myself!

The only thing that I am having trouble with is deciding what to eat before my workout. I do not want to eat a big meal but I don't wanna feel like I"m starving after I'm done. I will keep ya'll posted on how I am doing.

Closed Thread