It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board

walking- pointless?

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-13-2005, 10:04 PM   #1
juicylicious
Inactive
(female)

juicylicious HB User
walking- pointless?

hi. just a question about walking.

hopefully someone here can settle a dispute i was having with a friend. we disagree on the benefit of walking as a way of reducing bodyfat- he thinks it burns the equivalent number of calories as jogging as long as the same distance is covered. i remember reading somewhere that jogging burns roughly twice the number of calories (obviously depending on speed) as walking the same distance. he also said that walking is superior in a way b/c it utilises fat stores for energy rather than jogging which uses glycogen (? sorry if this is inaccurate) before dipping into fat stores.

my experience is this: most days i walk roughly 2-3 hours, just running errands and getting around and usually cover about 10-15k (according to pedometer). i dont really notice any benefit from this.. however, in weeks that i run 10-15k/ day (and hardly do any walking-b/c i am tired so i drive) I notice a difference in how lean i look. another friend insists that once you are relatively fit, walking has basically no effect on reducing bodyfat and is a waste of time that should be dedicated to increasing the time you jog. i like jogging, but it can make it more difficult for me to be strict with my diet, whereas with walking the equivalent distance i feel like i didnt exercise so i am much more careful.

does anyone have any insight into this?
thanks.

Last edited by juicylicious; 06-14-2005 at 03:15 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-13-2005, 11:30 PM   #2
vesuvius
Inactive

vesuvius HB User
Re: walking- pointless?

I read a study somewhere where it said jogging has a marginal advantage, due to the fact that you lift your legs slightly higher or something like that. It basically said that if you're going the same distance, there is no noticeable difference between the two. But if you're going for a certain time period, then obviously jogging is better because you'll go far. I really wish I remembered where I found that.. give me something to look for tonight

Old 06-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #3
Piranna65
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

i think you need your heart going at a faster pace for at the min. 30 minutes for it to be effective so unless she's powerwalking then i doubt it's worth doing.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:29 AM   #4
stuckmissy
Veteran
(female)

stuckmissy HB User

Ok sounds like you are doing quite a bit of walking during your day..i'm just wondering how much it is broken up? I have heard that with walking you need to get your heart rate up for a min of 30 min..then that's just maintance..once you get to the 60min plus you start to burn fat. I too notice that when walking alot..it seems to get less helpful. If i check my calories burned with online caculators..if i run for 30 min it's about the same as walking for 45 or 50 minutes (fast pace walk). Running does feel like more.

Old 06-18-2005, 12:44 AM   #5
Annee

Annee HB User

I remember Covert Bailey (Fit or Fat) saying that walking was pretty useless. I remember him on a PBS special explaining that a dead person's twitching is equivalent to the energy expended by a slow walk. It was a morbid image, but he made his point.

Old 06-18-2005, 05:37 AM   #6
4schmitts
(female)

4schmitts HB User

I personally get a great workout from walking- but I walk as fast as some people may jog- 4.5-4.7 on the treadmill with an incline of 5-10. Oh, and I do it for an hour. I am SURE that if you just walk really easy and you don't get your heart rate up then yes, its better than driving around in your car, but its not giving your body a cardio workout.
I used to jog at from 6-8 on mph on the treadmill at an incline of 3 for an hour and hurt my knee so I had so find a different workout. Honestly powerwalking "full-out" if more stenuous than an easy jog- your body has to work harder to stay "walking" when it would be a lot less stress on the body to just lightly jog. I hope that made sense- has anyone else experience this- a fast powerwalk a better workout than an easy jog?

Closed Thread